Gone fishing

Leica M10 plus Noctilux
View attachment 132045
Neil

This is in the critique section so I guess it is OK to post what my thoughts are. Try as I might and I have looked at this photo a few times, as it seems quite a few others have with over 150 views, I am finding it very difficult to see what this photo is about or if it is it any good especially as you bring reference to it being taken with a camera and lens costing well over £10,000.

The way the photo comes across to me is! Firstly I see the shadow of I guess another fishing rod at the bottom leading to a cut off red sprayed marking and chopped off shadow from the heads of the men, then a bright white fishing rod catches my eye and that is chopped off at the top. I then start to look at the two men who have their backs to you so there is no facial interaction. Their body language is not even interesting they almost seem bored. You seem to be shooting form a slightly elevated position or you are very tall so with the bokeh they start to look short almost like a "toy town effect". To round things off with the two guys one has his pants higher than his shorts and the others lower hairy back is pretty grim and the boat or pedalo coming out of his head albeit out of focus does not work imo. The cluttered quay side with bright blue items partially cropped off leads to a cluttered bokeh background with a very bright highlight just above the two men. The title "Gone fishing" does not really reflect what I see is going on, as these two don't seem to be fishing, they are chatting at best with their backs to you standing some distance from a few fishing rods.

You might see it all very differently to me as you took and edited the photo like this for a reason and that is what I am very interested in finding out, I am always willing to look at things from a different perspective.

This is in the critique section so I guess it is OK to post what my thoughts are. Try as I might and I have looked at this photo a few times, as it seems quite a few others have with over 150 views, I am finding it very difficult to see what this photo is about or if it is it any good especially as you bring reference to it being taken with a camera and lens costing well over £10,000.

The way the photo comes across to me is! Firstly I see the shadow of I guess another fishing rod at the bottom leading to a cut off red sprayed marking and chopped off shadow from the heads of the men, then a bright white fishing rod catches my eye and that is chopped off at the top. I then start to look at the two men who have their backs to you so there is no facial interaction. Their body language is not even interesting they almost seem bored. You seem to be shooting form a slightly elevated position or you are very tall so with the bokeh they start to look short almost like a "toy town effect". To round things off with the two guys one has his pants higher than his shorts and the others lower hairy back is pretty grim and the boat or pedalo coming out of his head albeit out of focus does not work imo. The cluttered quay side with bright blue items partially cropped off leads to a cluttered bokeh background with a very bright highlight just above the two men. The title "Gone fishing" does not really reflect what I see is going on, as these two don't seem to be fishing, they are chatting at best with their backs to you standing some distance from a few fishing rods.

You might see it all very differently to me as you took and edited the photo like this for a reason and that is what I am very interested in finding out, I am always willing to look at things from a different perspective.
Thanks for the feedback......

well put and my thoughts exactly :)

Back