Good morning deer

Name
Mes
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys.

My first posted image. Please do not feel the need to be kind, I work in the design industry so I'm well used to putting effort into something only for someone else to tell me it's crap. I'm thick skinned.

:)

As this was taken in Richmond Park I wasn't completely sure if it should go in this forum or captive but it seems to fit better here. If it's in the wrong place, if a mod could move it that would be cool.

So, this is the third time I've had a go at shooting "wild"life and my first time out with my new kit. Obviously it's far from full size, I'm still trying to work out the best ratio for posting in here and keeping the images as small and unusable by thieves as possible (any advice for that?). I'm a complete novice, I only picked up a camera for the first time at the end of April, so I'm still just winging it and have a lot to learn.

Disclaimer out of the way, give me hell.

Full shot and a detail crop.

Data:
Sony ILCE-7RM2
FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS
ƒ/5.6 300.0 mm 1/500 4000

Time was around 8:30 am. Shot hand held. Image has not been cropped.

Richmond Park by MesTCS, on Flickr

Richmond Park (Detail) by MesTCS, on Flickr

Last edited:
Mes the warmest of welcomes and HNY.:) Mate there are some very accomplished togs here. They might be able to give you more help if you share not only your techs but the gear you used to make the image even processing if ya want . hand held HH or tripod. not sure it will garner replies but it helps:D

Ha you have an eye for this bud;) that's the designer huh!! For all but a first outing this isn't a bad start at all dof looks great deer looks sharp to me( i'm not terribly confident in what I see at this size Mes )but it looks good the crop helps cheers for that. Mate I also like the POV (point of view : the height you made image at) but I'd personally have liked a TINY bit more at the base of the frame I wonder if the blues could come back a tad, is this early in the day? higher iso? Mes I am NO expert I scrubble about in the mud largely with hares and deer roe munty fallow

Ha ha I'm not going to tell you anything is crap mate:p there are kinder ways to attempt to do this, but your attitude is bloody refreshing. My last crit went down like a sack of the preverbial here so I'm a bit wary ,but what the hell . I hope I've read your post right I don't want smoke blowing either just honest opinions,that I can dig at in an effort to be better.

Great start kiddo I like the way you have worked the bracken maybe a smidge to the left,for you, might have helped but that's no easy thing with deer as they'll clock the movement. I'd encourage you get get very low Mes, I mean on the floor low,see what happens down there to your images,but don't be fomulaic.

A lovely little pricket nice look back what's not to like.

Buddy I don't think of parkland deer as wild, they are humanised a bit and messed with by man , but they are not really captive either:LOL:. So post 'em up here,we always see an influx of red deer images from the parks at rut time it's lovely . I'm fascinated by 'em and how different they look from different places. We only have two natives, Mes, roe and red I guess i'm fascinated by mans influence of the red . I have a background in birds, specifically domestic poultry,I looked after a huge collection so I'm deeply fascinated in what effect we have on something like our red deer. Roe are just bonkers so highly strung we will never domesticate in any way shape or form, but red are so different

It can be slow at times here Mes, give folks time
seeya

stu

Mes the warmest of welcomes and HNY.:) Mate there are some very accomplished togs here. They might be able to give you more help if you share not only your techs but the gear you used to make the image even processing if ya want . hand held HH or tripod. not sure it will garner replies but it helps:D

Ha you have an eye for this bud;) that's the designer huh!! For all but a first outing this isn't a bad start at all dof looks great deer looks sharp to me( i'm not terribly confident in what I see at this size Mes )but it looks good the crop helps cheers for that. Mate I also like the POV (point of view : the height you made image at) but I'd personally have liked a TINY bit more at the base of the frame I wonder if the blues could come back a tad, is this early in the day? higher iso? Mes I am NO expert I scrubble about in the mud largely with hares and deer roe munty fallow

Ha ha I'm not going to tell you anything is crap mate:p there are kinder ways to attempt to do this, but your attitude is bloody refreshing. My last crit went down like a sack of the preverbial here so I'm a bit wary ,but what the hell . I hope I've read your post right I don't want smoke blowing either just honest opinions,that I can dig at in an effort to be better.

Great start kiddo I like the way you have worked the bracken maybe a smidge to the left,for you, might have helped but that's no easy thing with deer as they'll clock the movement. I'd encourage you get get very low Mes, I mean on the floor low,see what happens down there to your images,but don't be fomulaic.

A lovely little pricket nice look back what's not to like.

Buddy I don't think of parkland deer as wild, they are humanised a bit and messed with by man , but they are not really captive either:LOL:. So post 'em up here,we always see an influx of red deer images from the parks at rut time it's lovely . I'm fascinated by 'em and how different they look from different places. We only have two natives, Mes, roe and red I guess i'm fascinated by mans influence of the red . I have a background in birds, specifically domestic poultry,I looked after a huge collection so I'm deeply fascinated in what effect we have on something like our red deer. Roe are just bonkers so highly strung we will never domesticate in any way shape or form, but red are so different

It can be slow at times here Mes, give folks time
seeya

stu

Stu,

That's a brilliant reply mate, thanks very much. Any HNY to you too fella.

First thing to say is I've edited the post to include the exif data and stuff. It should have been in there to begin with! I’ll make sure I add it in future. Thanks a lot for the kind words too. At full size (it’s not cropped) I’m very happy with the focus. I agree about POV but there was no option to go lower as I needed to get above the bracken a bit. I just liked his position amongst the trees and the depth they gave. Interested as to what makes you think the blues need to be dialled back a bit? Yep it’s about 8:30 and yep is was pretty high ISO at 4000. Shutter was probably faster than I needed. That’s something I need to be more confident with.

And haa haa, no mate, I’m thick skinned enough, I can take it! Smoke blowing soon gets boring. There are some incredibly talented people on this forum, I’m here to learn how to be better as much as I can.

As for the deer I find them fascinating too. I live in London, which I thoroughly dislike, but one huge benefit is being able to go and hang out with the deer whenever I like. We see properly wild ones while out in the countryside often (spent a good 20 minutes watching a really tiny Muntjac stuffing his face recently) but to have such close access to the ones in Richmond is brilliant given how relaxed they are. And it's a perfect place for me to learn what I'm doing too. We've been twice since that shot was taken. We go often enough that we recognise some of them and have favourites. We tend to steer clear of the rut though. It’s amazing but the amount of idiocy on display is too much to handle. I always end up saying something to someone, can’t help it.

Anyway, great reply Stu, thanks and have a good one.

Mes

Back