Good places to photograph wildlife near the Jurassic coast

two reserves in weymouth , + west bay harbour and river brid+ swannery + Portland bill. never yet gone home from Dorset with a blank wildlife is everywhere you just have to open your mind

The Jurassic coast stretches for quite a long way! If you're going to be near the Western end (Exmouth) and you're after birds, Topsham flats are worth a visit. There's a hide at 50°40'45.5"N, 3°27'25.8"W or there are decent views from the cycle route nearby. Good beer at the Bridge Inn too, so I'm told (not a beer drinker myself).
The footpath between Budleigh Salterton and Otterton a bit further East offers good views of the river Otter with its inhabitants, including beaver a bit North of Otterton (not seen them but have seen the evidence - gnawed down trees).

Not too forget the Red Squirrels on Browsea Island. Plus on the island there is Dorset WT reserve.

Studland is also meant to be great, there is also the outstanding views along the Coastal Path plus the Geological features of Lulworth Cove and Durdle Door plus obviously the possibility of Fossils etc. at Lyme Regis.

The Jurassic coast stretches for quite a long way! If you're going to be near the Western end (Exmouth) and you're after birds, Topsham flats are worth a visit. There's a hide at 50°40'45.5"N, 3°27'25.8"W or there are decent views from the cycle route nearby. Good beer at the Bridge Inn too, so I'm told (not a beer drinker myself).
The footpath between Budleigh Salterton and Otterton a bit further East offers good views of the river Otter with its inhabitants, including beaver a bit North of Otterton (not seen them but have seen the evidence - gnawed down trees).
I know I am not sure exactly where we will go - if we do - planning with family can be difficult.

If you will be visiting Weymouth Radipole Nature Reserve is worth a visit, got my first Bearded Tits there. :)
@RedRobin can probably give you more information.

Back