Goodwood Festival of Speed 2015

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
For next year my much better half has purchased tickets for all 4 days of this event. We're both 50!!!
Has anyone been before & if so any advice on where to stand for the hill climb?
Or for any other part of the festival, I'm going to ask via an email for some advice from the organiser regards any restrictions on photography gear.
I'm hoping to take my monopod and 120-300 F/2.8 with 2x extender...
Cheers & any photos to show here? Hopefully I will next year.
The only photo I have of a decent motor is this & I don't even know what it is, any ideas?

View attachment 26186

Last edited:
It's crowded! So much so that while I went a lot in the 1990s, I don't really want to go back now. That's partly because it's the same formula every year so many of the same cars and people repeat the same things but if it's your first visit, you'll love it!! Guaranteed!!

Having said that, it's not necessarily the best ever photographic opportunity, again largely because of the crowds. My best suggestion for action shots on the hill would be to shoot from outside Molecombe Bend as the cars come round the left hander towards you but, better than that, I'd suggest climbing the hill to the collecting area at the top. [There's only the one road so the cars go up the hill then they gather in a group at the top and come back down the hill together]. You'll certainly get interactive shots of old men who used to be racing drivers smiling and chatting together! Or reacting as they watch the next arrival.

Also at the top of the hill is the Rally Stage which offers the best opportunities for relatively unobstructed action photography.

Frankly I wouldn't worry about the camera too much! The FOS is a large English garden party with some noisy and colourful racing cars! With all respect, if you don't recognise a Stringray, you're not going to appreciate the obscurity and uniqueness of some of the things there but there will be a lot of odd looking cars in the crowded paddock as well as fenced off areas for the current Formula One teams who'll attend with demo cars. The concours d'elegance in front of the house will also have some very elegant classic cars to photograph from right up close!

If you're there for all four days, you'll have time to see it all! I'd suggest Friday morning is the least crowded time for the racing car paddock and watching the early runs up the hill but there's also thoroughly good trade fair/autojumble/village fete/champagne bars/rock festival that happens on the cricket field at the bottom of the hill if you want to buy trendy clothes or expensive leather luggage - or a brand new car!

By the way, talking of buying trendy clothes, you know it's not the fancy dress one? That's the Revival meeting in September. Every year, rather sweetly, I've seen a lady or two walking round in '50s garb who hadn't been told that!

Last edited:
Thanks Jonathan, I am not as you suggest a car fanatic, I just like the look of certain ones.
The 'Stingray' was at the end of a line following the Tour of Britain this year & so I was still in the middle of photographing the official cars when it appeared.
And no I won't understand what is what or why it may have x appeal over another, I will just photo what to me looks interesting.

I'll probably have people wondering why I'm not taking a photo of x so maybe I will ask a few questions first.
Quite often the most bland looking object has the most history thus making it photo worthy from a story point of view.
Background knowledge nearly always helps make a bland thing more interesting than a dazzling one to the eye.

It is my first time to the 'FOS', yes I understood it's not the 'Revival' which we will save up for our 60ths & go in ten years time.
The 4 days with Grandstand tickets & brochures came to £520 (£260 each) so for us quite a bit of money.

Thanks for the heads up as to where to possible be for some hopefully interesting shots.

Jonathan has given lots of good information so I won't duplicate that. I have been to FOS twice before just for the Friday on both occasions, there is so much to see that one day isn't really enough, you should have plenty of time though if you are going for the whole weekend. I would still recommend getting there early as the traffic really builds up on the approach roads.
The rally stage is well worth a look. Link is to some I took there on my last visit if you're interested.
Its a great event, I'm sure you'll have a great time.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/nb100/sets/72157634642294434/

Thanks Neil I had a look, great shots, the guy taking one of the red KUMHO is a bit close!
I'm really looking forward to next year, (not the 50 part!) & shall be taking my 120-300 f/2.8 for sure.

I am fortunate to live within an hour or so's drive of Goodwood, so have been attending the FoS (all 3 days) for many years.

Yes its crowded, yes it can make photography hard work and frustrating, but if you look carefully there are some tremendous photo opportunities. Having the luxury of 3 days each year means I am also able to put the camera's down and just enjoy the mind-boggling array of things going on. If fact, probably the most frustrating thing about the FoS is the fact you cant be everywhere at once!

A few snaps from earlier this year:

14341863998_72ccdd384b_b.jpg

14341840849_90025ed86e_b.jpg

Last edited:
Whyone indeed, take as many as you like? and very good they are too...
I have tickets next year for 4 days! any notion what the 4th (Thursday) is for?
I have read the website but it's not overly clear, we purchased the whole 4 days as it wasn't much cheaper (if any) to do the 3 main days.
Plus we wanted to do all 3 days anyhoo...
I live 24 miles away & yes the traffic is horrendous even on normal work days, the government has announced this (or last) week £xxx for the A27 improvements.
Not likely to have been started let alone finished by next year, lucky I know the back lanes as I have done loads of cycling in this area.
We did look at a B&B but already full! so we are going to make sure of starting off early each day as this is a one off, don't want to miss anything, unless my lottery numbers come up!

Yes Simon, the Thursday is actually not part of the Festival of Speed - it is the Moving Motor show. It is however on exactly the same site as the FoS, but the focus of the day is on manufacturers allowing favoured potential customers to drive their cars up the Goodwood hill.

As a visitor, it is a quieter day and you still have access to the FoS paddocks. Whilst not all of the cars will be in place, it provides good opportunities to see the owners / teams setting up and fettling their cars.

It is also a good day to wander about the trade displays - many of the leading motor manufacturers have huge 'stands' - again, these are open all weekend, but Thursday provides the best opportunity to get a bit of breathing space to see the cars properly.

Your arrival strategy is spot on - leave home early, arrive early, grab breakfast before teh crowds arrive. Infinitely preferable to sitting in traffic jams, arriving late and the place being jam-packed.

Last edited:
Sounds like Thursday might be a good (ha ha) day for some lesser taken photos?
Thanks Ian for that Thursday wasn't looking too promising but am looking forward to that as much now as the others,
maybe more from a less cluttered photo opportunity point of view.
Cheers...

Our daughter and in-laws clubbed together to buy us tickets for the 3 days of FOS plus accommodation for our 50th birthdays. Both being "petrolheads" it was the best present ever. From my own point of view I would say definitely take the camera with you, but make sure you enjoy it as an event not just through a viewfinder.

I did the FOS last year w eonly had 2 days there and it was no where near enough with the hill, rally stage concourse and supercar paddock not to mention the trade stands. Yes it's a busy event but it's worth going.

I went to the Reival this year and to be honest I thought this was a better event both for atmosphere and photos

With regard to accomadtion have you tried the goodwood cmapsite?

Sound as though our plans for the revival when we reach 60 needs to be brought forward...

It's not cheap but worth it.

Oh and keep an eye on the skies too, when we did hte FOS the Vulcan did a display and at the revival the 2 lancasters and 3 spiiefires did a couple of diplays and this may sound really daft when I was at a car event but the seeing the lancasters and spitefires was the highlight of the weekend

Okay so note to self take the nd grads for sky shots :cool:
Cheers for the, literally, heads up on that... :rolleyes:

Thanks for those Mark, just wetting my appetite with those piccys & can't wait to be there...

Hi Simon

As has been said, you'll enjoy it, I've been a couple of years ago and had a great time, even though the weather wasn't the best. I'd def take your camera and get some shots, but try to get some shots of something you want (rather than just everything), so you can enjoy the action as well...

Hope the weather is great and you have a great birthday treat :)

As a professional photographer and experience of working for Goodwood as a Photographer at Festival of Speed I have written a blog post about shooting at festival of speed from an amateur/visitor point of view. I hope its of help? I often get asked advice at events so I try to help were I can.

http://harryelliott.com/festival-of-speed-photography-tips/

Thank you Harry I shall read over the weekend when things have quietened. Cheers.

Lots of good advice already, just a few things to add

The forest rally stage will be very dusty if the days before the event have been dry - both you and your gear will need protection

The traffic can be horrendous especially on the A27 - Aim to arrive before 8.a.m or lose at least an hour queuing

Footwear should be robust for walking on unpaved surfaces

Use Thursday to get to know the site

Above all,enjoy the spectacle and keep safe

My Albums

2009 http://vintageman.zenfolio.com/p191926601

2010 http://vintageman.zenfolio.com/p364063039

2011 http://vintageman.zenfolio.com/p605574270

2013 http://vintageman.zenfolio.com/p852400948

2014 http://vintageman.zenfolio.com/p916303858

David

Hi David, thanks for the heads up re the traffic, fortunately I live in Fareham 24 miles away & also know the back lanes due to bicycling loads in the valleys.
And using Thursday to get to know the site is a good idea.
I'm hoping my 1D MK IV will be up to the job of keeping itself protected but I have only the one 'L' lens at the moment, the 100mm f/2.8L macro.
I also understand that the camera is considered only fully weather sealed when coupled with an 'L' lens. Although not 'weather proof' o_O
As I understand the camera has good weather protection re water but not sure about dust, anyone have any comments?

I'm looking at two new lenses at the moment the 70-200 f/2.8L mkII & the TS-e 24mm f/3.5L mkII
Clearly the 70-200 will be the choice for this event, however, I already have a 120-300mm f/2.8 (through the range).
So my dilemma; I'm likely to only be able to afford one of these this year :(
& I have the reasonable 120-300 which is as fast as the 70-200.

Thing is, are the 70-200 lengths better suited to the rally stage which I feel will be a situation when I shan't be able to move about too quickly,
i.e the heavier lens being more awkward, I do have an exceptional monopod of which I am very use to using in combo with the lens.
But having the 70-200 would give easier moveability without the pod but less range.

Then of course I really want a different lens from what I already have & the only wide angle lens I have is a Sigma 17-40mm which is over tens years old & a little soft plus vignettes.
I know the 24mm isn't as wide but I like the idea of it's abilities in the landscape arena for being able to keep the focus front to back even when using fast apertures.
And of course its architectural uses & left & right soft focus while the centre is sharp, the uses go on.
I saw one photo of a bride close to lens with the Eiffel Tower through a window far off both focussed with the area to right/left in soft focus, it looked great, no PS.

Which lens lengths have people used when at the rally section?
Cheers...

Oh David, great shots, thanks for the links, I see there are no exif data info, can I ask the reason please? Very curious...
Sorry if this question seems rude, just a genuine curiosity.

I took my 300mm 2.8 (with extenders) for this years event.
Will more than likely go next year too.

The 120-300mm I'd suggest is great for the rally stage, the 70-200 better for the GAS arena - (because you are closer) & wide angle for the pit area / car viewing sections...

There is no one magic lens for the lot - I'd also suggest you don't try and visit the whole lot in one day - look at the weather & work it from there...

300mm in the forest...
June 14 FOS Rally Stage-16 by Diving Pete, on Flickr

Back