Goodwood FoS Friday

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Tried the Nikon 200-500 out for the first time on Friday, massively long even at the wide end at Goodwood so decided to push myself in a different - non- blurry direction. Thankfully the light through the trees at the top of the hill made playing around with light a lot of fun.

Back to panning next time though, got bored of this nonsense after a while :)

Goodwod FoS 2016 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Goodwod FoS 2016 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Goodwood FoS 2016 by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great shots there Chris, the P1 has a great big gurn on #7. Really like the processing too, preset or just adjustments?

Great shots there Chris, the P1 has a great big gurn on #7. Really like the processing too, preset or just adjustments?

For the hill shots most were pretty dark already, so just required a contrast boost then I lift the shadows via the tone curve to give the blacks a bit of a faded look, it's actually my wedding workflow up to that point! Where the background hay was quite bright I just added a vignette to hide it away a bit.

Here's the original unedited/uncropped Renault shot followed by the edit for comparison...

1958ye.jpg

Last edited:
Excellent job Chris, I love the paddock detail shots and the pov/pp from the top of the hill is great. I just stayed on the exit of Molecomb sulking because of time lost in traffic on the way in and then having to walk through the equally horrendous mud !

I don't usually like FOS photos as there always seem to be loads of people in the frame or a side on pan with straw bales as the attention part of the photo.

I suppose that is why I enjoyed looking at your set of photos as there is non of that going on. They all work really well, you used some great angles and dof to make them stand out.

Great shots, superb composition and creativity.

Nice work Chris. Have you ditched the Fuji gear now then? Back to Nikon once more?

Still got some Fuji for family stuff but yep, Nikon for weddings etc now so thought I may as well throw a telephoto into the mix for the occasional Motorsport event.

.... Here's the original unedited/uncropped Renault shot followed by the edit for comparison...

1958ye.jpg

Goodwood FoS 2016
by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Hey guys, sorry but im going to sound a bit thick, using the example provided above, when you crop from the original photo, do you then resize back up to the original photos dimensions?
Is this the process people use? or do you just stick with the new cropped dimensions? Or does it depend on the photo and the final use of the image?

I really don't understand Cropping that much, I tend to get everything I need in the frame and be done with it, but i suspect i'm missing out on a valid processing step.

Sorry for the newbie question.
Geoff

Hey guys, sorry but im going to sound a bit thick, using the example provided above, when you crop from the original photo, do you then resize back up to the original photos dimensions?
Is this the process people use? or do you just stick with the new cropped dimensions? Or does it depend on the photo and the final use of the image?

I really don't understand Cropping that much, I tend to get everything I need in the frame and be done with it, but i suspect i'm missing out on a valid processing step.

Sorry for the newbie question.
Geoff

No worries at all. I just crop as required which gives the final image new (smaller) dimensions, I almost always stick to a 3 x 2 aspect ratio though. Most of my images aren't cropped a great deal, and using a 24MP sensor it's still a pretty big file that would be fine for large prints etc even with a crop.

The biggest image I've ever physically created was for a client in 2009, I had an 8mp Nikon D50 at the time and the image was probably 50% cropped.

It looked great then and still looks great now. I wouldn't worry too much unless you're printing huge images.

Thanks @ukaskew I understand. Interesting. im thinking more and more about printing my work and the 'crop' concept has been worrying me :) Ill need to experiment .
Don't forget the dpi doesn't have to be as high for large images as you tend to view them from further back. Large displays/ pics can be 72dpi or even less. 300dpi is only really needed if viewing at normal reading distance or slightly farther.

Excellent set which has almost convinced me the Nikon 200-500 is the lens to get.

Back