In Memoriam. TPer Emeritus
Admin
Name
The real Chris
Edit My Images
No
$5 billion fine.
https://www.theverge.com/2018/7/18/17580694/google-android-eu-fine-antitrust
I often wonder though, who actually gets the money?

I quite like my Android, but not the way it shoves google down my throat at every opportunity, a lot of the apps can't be deleted.
Even when they are disabled, the damn things keep trying to up-date. Even though I have it set to ask first the sneaky b*****d waits 'till I'm asleep
and does it anyway!

Android OS (written by Google) coming with Google software & being uninstallable is annoying.

Samsung (and any other manufacturer) forcing their version on you as well is what really got me annoyed.

2 sets of bloatware

Samsung Android phones where great until they introduced knox.
Before that you could use a clean custom build of the OS without all the bloatware crap.
Why manufacturers can't just use clean installs of Android is beyond me.

I remember Microsoft being in hot water a few years back for daring to install Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player with Windows.

Is this no different from Apple coming pre-installed with Safari, and a few other apps which I have no interest but cannot delete?

I remember Microsoft being in hot water a few years back for daring to install Internet Explorer and Windows Media Player with Windows.

Is this no different from Apple coming pre-installed with Safari, and a few other apps which I have no interest but cannot delete?
Part of the news item, I didn't really catch it all, but there was also something about they are working their way around the board.
Maybe Apple are next?

But from the article, this is probably the key bit ( in bold)
Android has long been considered open-source software, but Google has slowly been adding key components into its Google Play Services software and associated agreements.

Last edited:

said the same at work earlier.

one rule for one....

You cannot delete it, but you can ensure it never appears on your iPhone again.

No, it is different, for two reasons, either of which would be sufficient.
1. Apple are not deemed to be a dominant monopolistic supplier.
2. Apple sofwtare is not licensed to other manufacturers.

Last edited:
That's up for debate I guess, their market position and profits certainly makes them a dominant position.

Not entirely sure on what your second point is. Ms was criticised for shipping ie and mp with their products, theyre ms only apps. Same as safari.

I guess the real underlying issue here is, do and android users care about what the EU has fined Google for?

I just wish that if they apply these "rules" they do so on a level playing field.
why should us Brits care? where gunna be out of the EU soon anyway :(

Not entirely sure on what your second point is. Ms was criticised for shipping ie and mp with their products, theyre ms only apps. Same as safari.
Microsoft licensed Windows to hardware manufacturers, but they made it a condition of licensing Windows that IE and MP had to be pre-installed and set as default choices.
Google license Android to hardware manufacturers, but they make it a condition of licensing Android that Chrome, Google Search and YouTube have to be pre-installed and set as default choices.

Apple do not license iOS to hardware manufacturers. Safari may come pre-installed and set as a default choice, but that is not something Apple are forcing on other manufacturers. That's the key difference and that's what this is all about. Have I explained it adequately?

Back