Gorse Shieldbug - in the garden today.

GardenersHelper

In Memoriam
Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
There was a fairly cold wind today but we had some sunshine. I noticed this in the garden this afternoon. I think it is probably a Gorse Shieldbug.

It was in the sun, but down in amongst the foliage and this was the only angle I could get on it, especially as I had to try and avoid blocking the sunshine and causing it to move away, which made it that bit more awkward to get a line on.

Captured with FZ200 and KX800 twin flash.

0812 01 2016_02_03 Flash ISO 100 P1180081_DxO LR 1300h
by gardenersassistant, on Flickr

"Excellent" shot Nick, great detail showing all of those dimples, very good composition, and well lit.(y)

George.

well done Nick (y) gives me hope that there will be bugs out soon ! Love these bugs, those dimples catch the light quite nicely giving a nice 3d effect

Thanks Carl. I was surprised to see it - I assumed they hibernated. But I looked it up, found out what (as far as I can tell) it is, and then looked up its life cycle. I found this entry at British Bugs a bit confusing. It says "this species frequently becomes darker prior to hibernation", but it also says "Adult: All year", which I assume means when you can see it. Perhaps it is the earlier instars which hibernate?

"Excellent" shot Nick, great detail showing all of those dimples, very good composition, and well lit.(y)

George.

Thanks George. The composition (or at least the angle) was all I could get. I tend to prefer side(ish) views, when I can get them.

Thanks Paul. It was your ongoing posting in these cold and windy times that encouraged me back into doing some photography.

You'd be surprised how many times in January I went for a look (unsuccessfully of course) in the forlorn hope of an insect!

Paul.

Really good Nick
I have looked in our garden for bugs but haven't seen any

Really good Nick
I have looked in our garden for bugs but haven't seen any

Thanks Pete. There's not much around here. I went out looking for small things today as I wanted to do some experiments with the MSN-202. With it being so wet (I nipped out between showers) I was hoping there would be springtails out and about. Looked for a half hour or so. None. I eventually found one Rhododendron bug or similar, but it wandered off as soon as I started showing an interest in it.

Back