Undecided Got 3 days to go somewhere??

Name
jason
Edit My Images
Yes
Ive put in 3 days holiday from work 1st to 3rd July. Ive had some bad news at home and really need to get away and clear my head. Looking for some nice locations to just get away from it all, some lovely landscapes, early morning sunrises, late sunsets, ,maybe a cheap stayover somewhere. Im located Middlesbrough so thinking Lakes or scotland but not sure where. I would also consider meeting up with someone for some guidance and inspiration.
Im ok walking and although not the fittest, can do most heights, although i'm a tad overweight. Im totally at a loss as to what i want as this news has really battered my head.
Open to suggestions.

I am sorry to hear that you have had some upsetting news and I hope you get sorted out.
If it were me I would buy an OS map and head up the coast road towards Bamburgh / Seahouses as far as Berwick and then cross country towards Coldstream / Kelso and come back through the Northumberland National Park towards Otterburn and then drop down to the North Pennines and Teesdale.

I've done a lot of Northumberland but not Bamburgh/Dunstanburgh sunrise. Could be an option? I particularly like waterfalls but again, done most of Northumberland ones. Thanks for your reply and thoughts.

How about a trip down to the Brecon Beacons waterfalls?

I know it's a bit of a drive but I was there a fortnight ago and it was wonderful, with all the rain we've had it would be a powerful sight to see and so noisy you'd not be able to dwell on home issues.

If you need post codes for parking etc. let me know mate.

I wish you the best and hope everything works out ok Jason.

Terry.

I've done a lot of Northumberland but not Bamburgh/Dunstanburgh sunrise. Could be an option? I particularly like waterfalls but again, done most of Northumberland ones. Thanks for your reply and thoughts.

Teesforce is spectacular if you have not done it.

Consider minimal travelling and do part(s) of the Cleveland Way - North from Sutton Bank is good, or follow the path down the coast.

Add to the list I've just thought of.... Mach Loop in Wales.. Double up with Brecon Beacons. Hmmmmm?

The waterfalls in the Brecon's are awesome....!

Up early, drive to the Brecons (waterfalls will be quiet on a weekday) book Monday night there - There is a hostel type place right at the start of the Waterfalls Walk!
Up for sunrise Tuesday, drive back to the Peak District at some point during the day, sunset, stay there for the night.
Up for sunrise Wednesday, leisurely drive home through the day.
Plus of course, anything else in between.

We've booked an Airbnb caravan for a few nights next week on the north Somerset Coast. Only about 50 miles from home. But it's still something to look forward to.

TBH I'd avoid the Lakes in July. Last year I went to the Trossachs National Park for the first time and I was blown away by it, somewhere I had always driven past on the way to the highlands but well worth 3 days I would have thought. The other place, given your location is the Alston/Appleby area you could combine that with Hawes, Swaledale etc. if you travelling around. I must get out more :)

Hope you get a bit of de-stressing where ever you end up, all the best to you

For a three day trip I wouldn’t go too far as it takes a while to settle into a trip. Northumberland is a good idea and suitable for wet weather seascapes which we’ve had a lot of lately. It’s apparently looking unsettled for the foreseeable future so worth considering what will work in those conditions - rivers/waterfalls/seascapes are all good options. The Lake District can also work very well in moody weather and it’s not too far, lots of places there that don’t require long walks. It’s hard to recommend specific places as that’ll depend on what you like to shoot. There’s lots of inspiration on YouTube , James R Burns shows some different places to the usual as an example. Andrew Beavers also gets to some amazing spots as a wild camper

Thinking about Buttermere sunrise, Lone Tree or Sentinels. Not sure if I can get them both in the sunrise window? How far walk is it between the two? Im a National Trust member so I know theres a car park. Just depends how far out? Or maybe Blea Tarn which looks stunning if reflections are on point. That's one day sorted!!

Thinking about Buttermere sunrise, Lone Tree or Sentinels. Not sure if I can get them both in the sunrise window? How far walk is it between the two? Im a National Trust member so I know theres a car park. Just depends how far out? Or maybe Blea Tarn which looks stunning if reflections are on point. That's one day sorted!!

I don't think you need to overthink locations especially in an area like the Lake District - no doubt those places you mentioned are iconic, but you'll only ever recreate other people's shots if you look to shoot particular trees or views you've already seen. There's potential almost anywhere in the Lakes and it pays to do a bit of your own exploring - even around Langdale there are a few roadside spots (almost) that offer amazing views yet very few people know about them

Back