GOTO Mount vs sky tracker

Name
Matt
Edit My Images
No
I’d like to use my camera and zoom lens to try deep sky photography and have been watching videos on YouTube to find out info. I am looking into getting a setup that allows tracking to avoid star trails, however I’d also like a system that finds objects such as nebulae and galaxies. I am confused about whether a system such as https://www.rothervalleyoptics.co.u...-goto-modular-equatorial-mounting-system.html tracks the sky as well as locating targets? I.e. could my mount my camera to it, tell it to find M81 and have it then track the sky (and stay locked in to M81)?

Yes, it comes complete with Go-to, which is the 'finding' system, and it's driven on both axes. I have the EQ3-2 which is a very similar looking head on a different tripod. With the one you've referenced you can remove bits of it to cut down weight and size for travelling. To get the optimum out of it use it fully complete. You do of course have to align it (to tell it where it's pointing) before it'll find anything for you. The more accurately you do that the more accurately it'll find for you. It'll take a bigger payload than mine and will be fine for a DSLR plus long lens (I use the Sigma 150-600C), and should be good for a small scope with DSLR attached. I have a dovetail bar with a recessed underside and centre slot that accommodates allen headed screws to clamp directly to either the camera's tripod bush or lens foot depending which kit I'm using. If I could remember where I got it I'd tell you but I've forgotten. It was one of the astronomy gear shops. I wouldn't mount via a ball head. You need everything absolutely rigid. You do know that unless you're using a reasonable sized sized scope M81 isn't the best target? Apologies if that was just the first example that popped into your head. With the above lens on a crop sensor Canon I get the whole of M31 in the frame.

Been think about a goto mount for years but as we have a Skywatcher 200P dobsonian we'll need a hefty mount for it.

The payload on that mount says 10kg but I don't think it'll hold my scope and Sony A7R2.

I think I worked out I'd have to spend about a grand to get the mount that would be stable enough.

Love to hear your thoughts if you do go for it.

Yes, it comes complete with Go-to, which is the 'finding' system, and it's driven on both axes. I have the EQ3-2 which is a very similar looking head on a different tripod. With the one you've referenced you can remove bits of it to cut down weight and size for travelling. To get the optimum out of it use it fully complete. You do of course have to align it (to tell it where it's pointing) before it'll find anything for you. The more accurately you do that the more accurately it'll find for you. It'll take a bigger payload than mine and will be fine for a DSLR plus long lens (I use the Sigma 150-600C), and should be good for a small scope with DSLR attached. I have a dovetail bar with a recessed underside and centre slot that accommodates allen headed screws to clamp directly to either the camera's tripod bush or lens foot depending which kit I'm using. If I could remember where I got it I'd tell you but I've forgotten. It was one of the astronomy gear shops. I wouldn't mount via a ball head. You need everything absolutely rigid. You do know that unless you're using a reasonable sized sized scope M81 isn't the best target? Apologies if that was just the first example that popped into your head. With the above lens on a crop sensor Canon I get the whole of M31 in the frame.

Thanks for the reply. I understand that the example I showed will go to the target, but what I want to check is if it then will track the target with the rotation of earth? Sorry, I know this is probably a basic question, but I’m new! Yeah M81 is just the first thing that came to mind as I was trying to find it with my 200/1200 Newtonian with no luck. It made me realise that a GOTO Mount would be useful for anything deep sky (I appreciate the example I have won’t hold the 200/1200). Eventually I’ll probably upgrade to a large telescope on GOTO, but want to work with the camera for a while, then probably a small refractor and so on.

Thanks. What are the advantages over the one I posted in your opinion?

It'll carry a much heavier payload so should be suitable for your scope (always check though - you'd want scope + camera + maybe guidescope + a good bit of leeway because a mount won't give its best if it's made to work too hard). Depends what you want to do. If you want a decent mount for your scope as well as just the camera buy one that'll do everything. Nothing else makes sense. For me personally, I only do astrophotography with the long lens unless I can use someone else's scope. I do have a scope but it's a 150mm reflector on a alt az mount purely for visual observing. Therefore the lightweight equatorial is fine - that and I'd rather have the observing scope on a alt az mount.

Back