Gramps' bird thread

Little grebe looks like the focus is on the body rather than the head Roger, only just.

Some very good shots in here pal.

Little grebe looks like the focus is on the body rather than the head Roger, only just.

Some very good shots in here pal.

Thanks Ade, I suspect you are right on the Little Grebe :)

All good Roger, first white throat has great light on it.

Roger .............Latest shots in the above #177 ... seemed to have been processed differently to #176 ....... contrast and detail has been lost? ........ blacks are much deeper, with no detail ........ I prefer #176

Last edited:
Roger .............Latest shots in the above #177 ... seemed to have been processed differently to #176 ....... contrast and detail has been lost? ........ blacks are much deeper, with no detail ........ I prefer #176
Today was very dull Bill, so contrast and detail will be less ... all bar the 1st are also very large crops but #1 looks good for contrast & detail to me.

Good work Gramps... keep 'em coming. Look forward to your visits - it's like a retirement by proxy for me :)

Thanks Jan, they were quite cooperative today :)

your pictures are a pleasure to look at always nice quality, what set up you got now sine you got rid of your tamron 600mm. i still cant believe you get these from hand held just walking about. its like the birds are only a few feet away from . Do you have to crop your pictures much mine are usually around 75% plus and the quality of the picture gets lost and tips.
Cheers...Gaz

Hi Gary, thanks for the comments :)
Since moving the Tamron on I have got a Nikon 500mm f4, which suits me well BUT I don't use it handheld, very strictly either on a beanbag or tripod & gimbal, it is simply too heavy for me to consider using handheld.
In the latest of these, for example the Grey Wagtail, it was taken from a hide using the Nikon D7200 + 500mm f4 + Nikon TC 1.4II so giving an effective length of 1050mm and then cropped about 40%.
It was a gloomy day so ISO 640 and 1/1000th shutter speed - I experimentally used f10 but that really wasn't necessary and most of the day was spent at around f5.6/f6.3
I find that the 500 f4 works well with the Nikon TC's but does require care in technique.
I would love to be able to just walk around and find all of these but the time to success ratio would be very slim, I have a membership with the WWT and spend some time each week visiting their reserve at Slimbridge which always gives my a good day of photography. Aside from that I make the opportunity to visit well known wildlife sites as and when I can, so have done Skomer, The Farne Islands & Bempton Cliffs for the birds and Northumberland for birds and Red Squirrels, all of which were fantastic experiences :)
I also enjoy doing a bit of walkabout in towns and cities local to me for street/streetart/candid/scenes ... but not with the 500! :D

I was thinking of getting a hide but think where i go its too public and would not benefit from it, so i bought camo netting yet to try it out . I am also thinking to upgrade from my d5200 to a 7100 in the near future to get a better quality image now the price has dropped a bit and everyone seems to be posting stuff from the 7100 or d7200 will have to see.
I use f8 on nearly all my shots but struggle with the shutter speed and have to up my iso with the 600mm.

I was thinking of getting a hide but think where i go its too public and would not benefit from it, so i bought camo netting yet to try it out . I am also thinking to upgrade from my d5200 to a 7100 in the near future to get a better quality image now the price has dropped a bit and everyone seems to be posting stuff from the 7100 or d7200 will have to see.
I use f8 on nearly all my shots but struggle with the shutter speed and have to up my iso with the 600mm.

D7100 is a good camera, if you can afford the D7200 it is certainly the better option in AF and ISO :)

Now, those are pretty good under the circumstances! Still love Goldfinches.

Thanks Barry, yes quite challenging today ... seeing a lot of small birds with the moult pin feathers ATM :)

Back