Graphics tablet with screen for photo editing

TG.

Name
Tel
Edit My Images
No
Does anyone here use a graphics tablet with screen for photo editing, something like a Wacom Cintiq, or a Huion Kamvas, I just wondered how you get on with them, is their any advantage drawing on the actual screen, as opposed to a normal intuos tablet.

Does anyone here use a graphics tablet with screen for photo editing, something like a Wacom Cintiq, or a Huion Kamvas, I just wondered how you get on with them, is their any advantage drawing on the actual screen, as opposed to a normal intuos tablet.

I don't use a graphics tablet but I do use an iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil which is similar. Drawing on the actual screen to make edits feels very natural to me, it's a great way to edit photos

Reactions: TG.
I've used the Cintiq range for years after owning and using various Intuos tablets - you can't really go wrong with either and both have pros and cons - If you are working on a beautiful monitor that cost you a fortune (Eizo, etc), then I would say that a normal intuos style tablet would be better due to the screen quality you'd be giving up going for the Cintiq as the majority of the cintiq range, aside from the Pro level versions, do not have that level of screen - Pro level is a different matter imo as I would rather have a Cintiq Pro than an equivalently costed monitor as the Cintiq sped up my workflow by almost double.

If you don't want to jump in feet first with a Cintiq Pro, then the XP-Pen or Huion Kamvas range are both pretty safe bets for testing the water - I would personally go with the XP-pen due to the portability of it being powered by your laptop, but I have used the Kamvas and was quite impressed (not with the drivers though, they are a pain in the ass!)

Go with the wacom you won't have any issues
I do have an intuos pro small which is quite good, this is my 2nd Wacom intuos, have found issues with drivers in the past, but they seem quite stable now, one of the biggest issues I find with tablets is how they interact with sliders in Photoshop, I can never seem to get the pen to move the sliders the way I want, I don't know if it's the way I have it set, but the pen is painfully sensitive when trying to move sliders, and I have tried everything to adjust it to no avail, and Lightroom is even worse, I find trying to move the sliders in LH virtually impossible, so much so I gave up and bought a Loupdeck. I am wondering if a screen tablet would be an improvement with the sliders. I wouldn't be going for a Wacom though, far to expensive for the use I would give it, I am looking at a Huion Kamvas pro 20, they seem to have very good reviews.

I don't use a graphics tablet but I do use an iPad Pro with the Apple Pencil which is similar. Drawing on the actual screen to make edits feels very natural to me, it's a great way to edit photos

Is it? I'm genuinely curious to know what sort of things you can do with it?

Is it? I'm genuinely curious to know what sort of things you can do with it?

I use Lightroom, and honestly it's now no different to the desktop app for my usage. You can directly import Raw files, and there is absolutely no slowdown or lag whatsoever when processing them. The Pencil is a great way to interact with LR, using it to move sliders or draw on the image to apply targeted edits feels very natural. The screen quality is excellent, factory calibrated and covers 100% of Adobe RGB. iPads support external storage now so it's no problem to export images to external hard drives etc. Been using the iPad as my only photo editing device for over a year now and find it very hard to go back to a desktop environment.

Back