Great Northern Diver

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
This Great Northern Diver was on Loch Scridain (SW Mull) most days but out in the centre so quite a way off but on one occasion it came near enough for me to get a reasonable shot. It's the first time I've seen one and I had to do some Googling to ascertain its ID .It's beleived to be the oldest bird on the planet. It can fly at 120 km/h (74.5 mph) ands dives to 60m. In this photo it's in its summer breeding plumage and it can live to 30 years in the wild .In the US, Greenland and Iceland they're called Common Loons.

More interesting info....https://oceanwide-expeditions.com/to-do/wildlife/great-northern-diver

18.Greaty Northern Diver (18 of 1).jpg

Last edited:
I bet your well chuffed to see it I've yet to see one I would be happy getting that shot

Don't see that very often, well done. (y)

I bet your well chuffed to see it I've yet to see one I would be happy getting that shot

Thanks. Yes, very pleased. It wasn't until it swam to near the end of the Loch did it near the shore.

Excellent (y)

Thanks, Alan. I have to say that all in all I had a pretty good holiday up there. I have a few more bird shots too which I'll look at tomorrow. I took 720 photos in all..lol.

Nice one John, they regularly turn up further south and on inland waters during the winter months, Chew and Blagdon reservoirs near you get them almost annually, there was one a few winters back on the boating lake in Cheltenham that was very approachable. As it is spring (maybe a bit too late now though), did you get to hear it 'sing'? a really bizarre sounding bird, a very haunting sound, Hollywood would often dub GND's singing into 'Tarzan' type jungle films, which couldn't be further from reality!!

Last edited:
Very nice John-I was due to visit Mull for 3 weeks May 2020 - I can see what I missed now

Les :)

Nice one.
Haven't seen any before....

Thanks,Bob. It's always satisfying to see a species for the first time. Mex mentions the call. I've just checked. Wow, I'd love to hear this. Have a listen in my reply to him now . They sound like wolves or coyotes.

Last edited:
Nice one John, they regularly turn up further south and on inland waters during the winter months, Chew and Blagdon reservoirs near you get them almost annually, there was one a few winters back on the boating lake in Cheltenham that was very approachable. As it is spring (maybe a bit too late now though), did you get to hear it 'sing'? a really bizarre sounding bird, a very haunting sound, Hollywood would often dub GND's singing into 'Tarzan' type jungle films, which couldn't be further from reality!!

Thanks,,Nige. I've just make a note of that on my iMac calendar . Chew & Blagdon. I've been to both places..Chew Resevoir. It's an hour's drive.
I've just Googled (Youtube) for their call. Fantastic.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpvTuMiJq1E

Thanks,Les. You'd have been in your element. I recall you mentioning it ..the Covid restrictions stopped you.:(

It most certainkly did John - I did get a full refund for the 3 weeks cottage hire though :)

Wow! That sounds awesome.
Could also sound quite creepy in the dark....

Next time ( if there is indeed a next time :p) you watch a 1930's Tarzan type film you will hear them.

Just had to listen to this call again. As ever, down the right hand side of the screen are other similar videos and this one caught my eye. Once again the Great Northerrn Diver but a variation of the call. It seems that 'dad' was calling to 'mom' for help with the little' ones..

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=upHsU4Li4yo

Last edited:
Back