Great Spotted Woodpecker

Colours caught very well here and I nice 'typical' pose for the bird :)

Given the well diffused light conditions, this spectacular take
would be improved to match natural tonalities and luminosity,
by simply trimming down the mid tones a tad… as to bring out
more details in the white plumage and create a more appealing
rendition.

Very cool take Keith!

Nice shot keith (y), possibly a little too tightly cropped for me :)

Can't really fault it, Keith...the fine detail is there, as is the sharpness and the composition. A touch more room for the bird to breath wouldn't harm, but OK as posted for me.

Given the well diffused light conditions, this spectacular take
would be improved to match natural tonalities and luminosity,
by simply trimming down the mid tones a tad… as to bring out
more details in the white plumage and create a more appealing
rendition.

Very cool take Keith!

Toned down the mid tones but it didn't bring any detail back in the white plumage.This was a big crop on a small sensor.:(

Nice shot keith (y), possibly a little too tightly cropped for me :)

I do have a tendency to crop a bit too much,sometimes to get rid of unwanted background elements:)

Toned down the mid tones but it didn't bring any detail back in the white plumage.This was a big crop on a small sensor.:(

Have a look in your PM… ;-)

Last edited:
Thanks for the the two edits.You have both managed to get a bit more detail in the white plumage.:)

Very nice shots - can I ask one thing please, how far away from the bird were you? Also, what lens were you using?
I'm interested as I just got an EM1 and have doubts as to wether I made the right decision moving from DSLR to M43 - seeing these images has me thinking again!

About 10 metres,using a 40-150 f/2.8 pro+1.4 teleconverter.Then a decent sized crop.

Probably a bit late for you seeing as you have just sold all your gear.

About 10 metres,using a 40-150 f/2.8 pro+1.4 teleconverter.Then a decent sized crop.

Probably a bit late for you seeing as you have just sold all your gear.
Thanks anyway - I just was finding it hard to adapt to the smaller system which is a shame but being honest, I knew I wouldn't be happy going forward. Nothing against Olympus, you've more than proved its worth but it isn't for me and I needed to get back to what I know.
I'm sure I may have grown into it in time but to be honest, I didn't feel it would be soon enough to maintain my interest.

Back