Great Tit.

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
We changed our perches around slightly to have a clearer background for photographing the birds, as discussed in the recent LTT & Wren threads I posted last week.

I can see it will be better to get the Moss of the fence and give it a coat of creosote, but what are the thoughts on this composition? Do you think it's okay with the two branches or will it be better with one? Myself I dont mind the two branches.

Anyway here it is and again any advice greatly appreciated.

20150216-DSC_5810 by swanseajack2013, on Flickr

Nikon 300mm AFS f4, which I am considering changing for a zoom for flexability. The lens is a good performer, considering all my bird pics are taken through a doubled glazed back door. The above pic is also a largish crop.

Not bad what lens you using

Last edited:
Morning Simon - just a very quick 30 secs edit, - I would have presented your image like this

simon_BT-Edit.jpg

Your original should be more clear, (i.e. sharper)

1). The perch is unattractive ……..try to make them so that they are more simple and natural

2). The background fence is a too obvious - preferably move the perch or try to get more OOF by a wider fvalue

all IMHO - the bird looks "in focus" (although it looks blurred on my crop, because of the size of the image you posted), and the colours are good.

just my views

Good luck and keep at it, you are doing well

Last edited:
Couple of thoughts:

The colour of the fence may not make it ideal as a background - especially if you creosote it all one colour.
I have seen people use a roller blind type setup where the image on the blind is just blurred patterns of varying background type colours - this is placed well back behind the perch and offers a nice diffused background. I am sure one could be attached to the fence and made quite cheaply :)

The stick lacks "character" - would it be possible to find something in the local wood with moss and lichen on it? This would provide extra colour and texture in your photos.

HTH

Dave.

Morning Simon - just a very quick 30 secs edit, - I would have presented your image like this

simon_BT-Edit.jpg

Your original should be more clear, (i.e. sharper)

1). The perch is unattractive ……..try to make them so that they are more simple and natural

2). The background fence is a too obvious - preferably move the perch or try to get more OOF by a wider fvalue

all IMHO - the bird looks "in focus" (although it looks blurred on my crop, because of the size of the image you posted), and the colours are good.

just my views

Good luck and keep at it, you are doing well

Thanks Bill, I purposely included the two branches as often I get a couple/three birds there at the same time, mainly LTT & BT and was asking for opinions before I cut it down. The image is also about a 60% crop so there is detail being lossed?? As you and Dave have said I will look for a better perch for the birds.

With sharpness, Im finding my way around LR and also with removal tools and I am trying to get used to this new Monitor I have and balancing the output from my puter. I dont really like it and prefer my old one. On my screen the pic looks vibrant and in Flick'r for the time of year but looks darker when posted on here??

Couple of thoughts:

The colour of the fence may not make it ideal as a background - especially if you creosote it all one colour.
I have seen people use a roller blind type setup where the image on the blind is just blurred patterns of varying background type colours - this is placed well back behind the perch and offers a nice diffused background. I am sure one could be attached to the fence and made quite cheaply :)

The stick lacks "character" - would it be possible to find something in the local wood with moss and lichen on it? This would provide extra colour and texture in your photos.

HTH

Dave.

I will look for a better perch with some growth on to give a little character. This perch is close to the feeder which I am trying to move slowly towards me, I also have one in the middle of the lawn so will need to get the balance right, also with the other perches.

Your right about the fence, creosoting will make it too dark. I have some old tarpaluns here, light green and blue and some grey Tyvek roof felt from my working days, when the wind dies down I may try stapling them to the fence and see which is the best.

Back