Great Tits, Blue Tits and Marsh Tits

Edit My Images
No
ISO 1600
sm_GT.jpg

Last edited:

With those you shot in the past times, this one appears to the quintessence
of all your efforts!

Bravo mon cher, très bien rendu, vraiment réussi!

Yep, Nice... looks like focus is sorted.

Yep - I think that I have sorted it ... quite surprising the variation of results you get comparing the three methods

ISO 1600 - so I am pleased - plus most of the shots today were almost OOC - the work I did on GT's and BT's last week seems to have helped

Thanks all for your comments

I did not really get a good composition on a Blue Tit today, but at least I think I have sorted the focus

the closer you get to these birds the more you realise they just never keep still - which exacerbates any lack of sharpness .. and of course they are less than 5 inches long ..... the branches on which they land even move

images are from 6 metres

I've posted this example for comments ........maybe a crop too far .......this one is suffering from noise amongst other things - it is surprising how noise can vary at the same ISO

ISO 1250 - (the GT is ISO 1600) . this of course is a bigger crop as the BT is (much) smaller than the GT

sm_BT.jpg

just compare it to the noise in this image at the same ISO 1250

sm_GT_2.jpg

Last edited:

Vous récidivez? …et c'est très bien!
I think your later successes are turning into a habit you will feel happy with!

You need to practice your cloning skills, as is evident on the BT shot.

The first image has more chroma(color) noise. That happens at any ISO when there isn't enough color (RGB) for the sensor to demosaic well. I get some in skies at almost every ISO. Color noise can usually be reduced quite heavily w/o affecting sharpness/detail much.

The first image has more chroma(color) noise. That happens at any ISO when there isn't enough color (RGB) for the sensor to demosaic well. I get some in skies at almost every ISO. Color noise can usually be reduced quite heavily w/o affecting sharpness/detail much.

Thanks Steven - do you mean the "test" image of the Blue Tit in post #6

what i am also finding is that the JEG fine exhibits far less noticeable noise (taken alongside the NEF), and the blacks are somewhat darker

Thanks Steven - do you mean the "test" image of the Blue Tit in post #6

what i am also finding is that the JEG fine exhibits far less noticeable noise (taken alongside the NEF), and the blacks are somewhat darker
The first bird in post six...
The in camera Jpeg processing is (can be) quite aggressive with noise reduction... You might want to try a Nikon specific raw converter... They can apply the in camera jpeg settings automatically, and even w/o that they can *sometimes* deliver a cleaner image.
FWIW, I don't bother...

Blue Tit at f4

The light/colours were interesting this afternoon!

f4 - ISO 1250
BT_17th_1.jpg

Last edited:
another Blue Tit to add to my thread

evening light - 300PF Nikon - ISO 450

was looking for a softer focus in pp ..... but it's provided on here

BT_22nd.jpg

BT_22nd_2.jpg

Last edited:

Adorable, monsieur. Adorable!
…what a little sunlight can do!

Nice shots really like the first one (of the 2 just posted), if it is a crop it nicely framed!

Three more Tits with the 300PF + 1.4TC

all at f5.6 ......... interesting to find it's sharpest aperture ......... I don't think it's f8

focus was on the eye ...... but slightly over exposing the white cheek patch can happen if you don't watch your settings when the light changes .. even slightly

GT_23_11.jpg

#2 looks soft around the eye on here - it looks sharper on the "not posted here" image
GT_23_3.jpg

BT_23_11.jpg

Last edited:
Lovely collection of tits Bill :) looks like your starting to get to grips with the PF which is good to see :)

Back