Greater Spotted Woodpecker

I suppose the only thing that I can ask is "is this hassle worth it" - when it can probably in the most part be avoided with a little car and attention?

that's what I have tried/am trying to do, whilst still being honest

Last edited:
That would be good Bill, unfortunately hardly anybody offers criticism any more, the section is awash with sub standard shots with glaring errors that are praised for being good/great/stunning. The standard of photography in this section is getting worse ,with the exception of some very good photographers of course.

This. Pay attention for tiz unfortunately true.

The dummy spits are about as spetacular as some of the shots are poor and undeserved of the type of praise they often get.

So these images are more down to compositional and processing issues?

"Have you got a calibrated monitor"
Not as far as I am aware.

"brighten up well using the levels adjustment"
I don't know how to do this.

"either spot or centre weighted metering"
I don't know what this means"

I don't want to dwell too much on the Olympus equipment as I am awaiting the arrival of a D7100 and Tamron 150-600.

@BRASH - I suppose the challenge is how can "we" improve the situation whist still retaining "peace" amongst us all and help everyone, beginner to expert along

critique is essential IMHO - how can this be given effectively - (maybe you think that it is being given effectively)

before I joined the forum, just over a year ago, my bird shots were hopeless - I see this looking back, (maybe they are still hopeless), but persevering with "you lot" and listening, looking and contributing has changed my outlook, views and hopefully my photography.

I would say to anyone, a beginner or not, just keep at it, keep posting and prove your "the critique" wrong - it's not too difficult

Last edited:
I'm based in Shropshire but I don't mind traveling, its only just up the M6.

Not sure I'd want to spend a morning in a hide with Ade, he may ask Brian to join you

maybe he does "long weekends"?

Last edited:
"either spot or centre weighted metering"
I don't know what this means"
From a quick Google ---

Five metering systems are available on the Olympus E-3: Digital ESP, Center-weighted, Spot (approx. 2% of viewfinder screen), Spot HI (highlights), and Spot SH (shadows). All are accessed through the Metering button on the camera's top panel. Depressing it and rotating the front dial selects the current Metering mode. It can also be changed from the Super Control Panel menu. Under the default Digital ESP setting, the camera takes

Spot metering - a small area of the image usually the area below the centre focus point is measured for the exposure setting

Centre Weighted - as Spot metering plus an averaging of the surrounding areas of the image is taken into account for the exposure setting

Digital ESP (Matrix on Nikon) - evaluates the whole image to work out the exposure

As you are a novice I will keep it simple for you, nice bright sunny day use Digital ESP (Matrix), on a dull cloudy day use Spot.

These cameras allow you to see the result on a screen instantly, if the one setting isn't working change to the other and see if things improve, you will improve with practice,and things will become instinctive.

The most important thing I said in my previous post was about having the light behind you.

I'm based in Shropshire but I don't mind traveling, its only just up the M6.
Once you get your new system, drop me a pm and we shall arrange a day. Accommodation is cheap enough up here. I can`t do long weekends i`m afraid, I have to earn a living as well. But if you want a weekend day, give me a shout and we`ll sort something out.....(y)

Whilst folk on here can give you advice, which will help you improve, you have to put some time in to learn and improve yourself. Very few photographers pick up a camera and start churning out excellent images without putting some time in to understand the basics of photography and also learning about their equipment. When to use the various focus and metering combinations. When and how to use exposure compensation etc.

Whilst reading about it is fine, nothing beats actually having a go. im sure that Joe and many others get the images they do because they understand what they are trying to achieve and how to achieve it, and because they do, when an unexpected opportunity arises they are able to respond quickly to ensure they get the image.

Advice, however good or well intentioned, can only help you go so far.

Last edited:
Once you get your new system, drop me a pm and we shall arrange a day

Don't do it. I made that mistake and I've lived to regret it.:eek:

Don't do it. I made that mistake and I've lived to regret it.:eek:
It is a serious offer to help Tim out Brian, don`t take the pee, just for once bud.

Aye, right oh!

Don`t worry bud we can have our little weekend away with that other numpty and without Ade :D
Yeh. You can come up here and I'll show you how to eat deep fried Mars Bars.

Yeh. You can come up here and I'll show you how to eat deep fried Mars Bars.
Make it a party, were up there from the 24th to 30th May, coming to sample the Highland hospitality!!!!!
Better get an extra Mars bar in :)

Make it a party, were up there from the 24th to 30th May, coming to sample the Highland hospitality!!!!!
Better get an extra Mars bar in :)

Where are you coming to?

At the moment we are booked into Achnasheen, we're bringing the caravan up. My dear wife booked the site and told me it was by Inverness, actually its only half an inch away on the map! I'm going to find a site nearer to the Cairngorms/Inverness area. If Rich is coming, we might book into John O' Groats lol.

At the moment we are booked into Achnasheen, we're bringing the caravan up. My dear wife booked the site and told me it was by Inverness, actually its only half an inch away on the map! I'm going to find a site nearer to the Cairngorms/Inverness area. If Rich is coming, we might book into John O' Groats lol.

FFS!!!! That's no where near me. You bloody southern softies must think Scotland is the size of a bloody shortbread tin:rolleyes::D

FFS!!!! That's no where near me. You bloody southern softies must think Scotland is the size of a bloody shortbread tin:rolleyes::D
Lol, don't blame me, its the female of the species who cant read maps, and I let her have a free rain on the bookings :oops: :$
I'm re-booking now, or at least, looking for a site. If you have any ideas Brian they'd be welcome (y)

another caravan to clog up the roads ... bloody things
Yep, wana join the queue lol

Anyway, there's only half a dozen cars in Scotland and one set of traffic lights so no problem there, after all, how many roads can you get on a shortbread tin :rolleyes:

Waits for an explosion from Brash now :D

Last edited:
Lol, don't blame me, its the female of the species who cant read maps, and I let her have a free rain on the bookings :oops: :$
I'm re-booking now, or at least, looking for a site. If you have any ideas Brian they'd be welcome (y)

There's a recently renovated caravan site here in Stoney. The Caravan Club bought it a couple of years ago and spent about £3000000 doing it up I believe. Bloody well demolished an art deco toilet block in the process too:rolleyes:

Brash, we're high jacking Tims thread which is unfair, sorry Tim. I'll send you a PM if that's ok.

Back