Greenwich Underground Tunnel HDR

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

I just wanted to share my HDR attempt at the Greenwich Underground Tunnel.

Any feedback would be helpful :D

24471881709_fd25302c20_k.jpg

Hi Nate, it's very striking, good front to back sharpness, nice composition though the floor is tilted up at the left. The colour is a bit 'nuclear' for my taste, but it doesn't have the classic 'overcooked HDR' grey patches and halos.

Reminds me a lot of the tunnel under South Norwood station from when I was a kid (I have been through this one too, but only once).

I think it would have been better with more ceiling than floor, but I do like that ;)

It would look better to me if the centre of the image was the centre of the tunnel and you used a square crop.

Also another couple of -ve exposures would have allowed you to capture the missing highlights from the light fittings. I think the loss of these is what lets it down most.

Still a good shot though.

p1640343621-4.jpg

I like that a lot, and I'm normally quite averse to HDR. I think the almost monochrome nature of the image suits it very well. The blown lights adds to it, rather than detracts, in my opinion.

I walk through the tunnel fairly regularly, it's quite a lot brighter since they improved the lighting, although it remains rather grubby despite the council employing contractors to clean it up.

This is a pic a took a few years ago when it was gloomier, I tried to make the tunnel most central:

Greenwich Foot Tunnel by nigelwilliams2001, on Flickr

I prefer the original crop and exposure. The patterns in the brick give it a spiralling kind of feeling which I find more interesting. The square crop is more static.

I prefer the original crop and exposure. The patterns in the brick give it a spiralling kind of feeling which I find more interesting. The square crop is more static.

Exactly my feeling, the square crops are boring as sin, that subtle twist is what draws you in. Someone else mentioned the lights needing an extra exposure to blend, me I'd say up the white clipping a bit or locally up the exposure on them so they are actually blown white rather than the current recovered-but-too-far-blown-to-bring-back-detail look they have.

First image for me, the grittiness of the floor with the reflected light adds drama.

I like the wide image. Proper use of HDR. Great dirty green colour hue

How many images did you have to play with?

Yeah I was going for the dark, grungy, gritty look to it. It wasn't actually intentional, I was just editing it and it started looking a bit gritty, so I just went with it haha. But thank you for all your comments.

I walk through the tunnel fairly regularly, it's quite a lot brighter since they improved the lighting, although it remains rather grubby despite the council employing contractors to clean it up.

This is a pic a took a few years ago when it was gloomier, I tried to make the tunnel most central:

Greenwich Foot Tunnel by nigelwilliams2001, on Flickr
I do like this shot of it, especially with the silhouettes.

I like the wide image. Proper use of HDR. Great dirty green colour hue

How many images did you have to play with?
Thank you, just the three on this one

Hi Nate, it's very striking, good front to back sharpness, nice composition though the floor is tilted up at the left. The colour is a bit 'nuclear' for my taste, but it doesn't have the classic 'overcooked HDR' grey patches and halos.

Reminds me a lot of the tunnel under South Norwood station from when I was a kid (I have been through this one too, but only once).
Thanks a lot. I see what you mean about the floor being tilted, I think while i was working on it I was looking at it for so long trying to work out if it was straight or not that my eyes just gave up and decided it was straight even though there is that little tilt haha.

Back