weekly Gremlin16's TP 52 for 2017 thread. WK 12 POWER

Like the idea, but for me, it doesnt work in the way you have set it up.

How would you have done it differently? What would have been your take on it? I'm curious :)

Not sure immediatly....but probably done the notes in a fan style, with the coins in front...and neutral lighting ?

So you didn't have a £50 note :)

Not sure about the focus, I would have probably set it on the 1p coin...

Ok, week 2. Comfort.
I have this 750 litre marine tank, which has a mixture of fish, shrimps, snails and corals in it. The glass isn't always as clean as it could be, and the fish are extremely camera shy. But, when its not frustrating me, it provides me great comfort as i bought it with some money my grandad left me. I will sit and watch it for an hour whilst I'm sat next to the wife who is watching something dire on the telly box. The focal point of this shot is the toxic green mushroom coral which under the night light setting belts out a fantastic almost radioactive glow. It doesn't photograph well at night, so this will have to do. The hundreds of white dots on the left of the shot are Asterina starfish which go around keeping the glass clean. The glass is 15mm thick, so please take into account how shooting through this causes issues in itself. :)

TP week 2 comfort by festerx, on Flickr

I used to have an aquarium (tropical fish) i could sit for hours just watching them go about their daily lives.

Yes, very Comforting gazing into a fish tank so well on theme. My goodness that mushrooms coral does look radioactive - nature holds so many strange and beautiful things.

Arghh, green rhodactis, weed! After keeping marines for around thirty years, we finally gave it up and sold everything off back in the autumn and don't miss the condensation one bit.

That looks like a smashing tank Gremlin....we've had several marine tanks over the years, in fact hubby only said the other day ...I'd love another tank :eek: I must admit they are fascinating ...the corals and fish are stunning.
I can't decide whether a crop works better, just to give more emphasis on the florescence of the mushrooms ...either way I do agree they are very relaxing to watch.

Very comforting indeed. I would have liked a bit more DoF to keep the clown fish on the right hand side in focus.

Thanks @brrnd . The clowns are about 2 feet apart from the camera. I tried several shots attempting to get more than one fish in focus but the beggars won't sit still

In the end I gave up and went with the coral so that at least something was focussed :)

Bang on theme, and the back lighting works very well here. Nice that you managed to get a catchlight in the dolls eyes too.

Clever take on the theme, nicely done.

Excellent thinking with the back lighting accentuating the hair with a softer light on the face.

Comfort - I love the beautiful colours and I can see how challenging it would be to shoot through that glass, I think you have done very well with this.

Hairy - that doll does indeed have plenty of hair, and nice use of back lighting.

I really like this picture. The way the platform curves toward the train, leading you in to the image, the contrast of the black and white, the backlit steam. It's awesome. One minor criticism (as mentioned by others) once you spy that post in the front middle of the image it really pulls your eye toward it. Cloning it out would make a difference I think. Overall I love this picture and would love something like this on the wall of my office. Great Job

TP 52 Wk 4 Smooth-1.jpg I'm on 1G internet here in Austria. Would it be possible for an admin to tidy it up and link for me please?

Many thanks.

Wk.4-Smooth. This is Sarah, one of the group I am skiing with. I took a day off the planks and wandered about with my camera instead. (One too many jaegers). You have a choice of the smooth curve of the helmet or the smooth curve of the visor. There's lots of curves going on in this image. Steve is the boarder in the reflection, and he is pretty smooth on a snowboard.

It's raining today so I have been out for a long walk and took my mini manfrottotravel tripod (next to useless) to find some water to play with my ND filters. It didn't work so well.

Good shot. Would the curve of the helmet look better without the top cropped out? Is that you in the visor, at left edge? Love the colours. Enjoy the rest of the break and hope the rain stops soon.

That's a good and unusual interpretation. It is an interesting portrait of the boarder and of Sarah too. Like it .

Captured some strong colours there @gremlin16 :)
With the crop at the bottom of the image, I would have cropped the top in tighter too (maybe to the top of the vent above red) giving it a letterbox shape, but perhaps balancing the top & bottom better.
I see we have a selfie in the reflection too :)
Hope you enjoy the rest of your skiing hols.

I like what you suggest LC2, I was just a little worried I'd lose too much smoothness. I could not commit to showing the smooth in the visor or the helmet so I just bailed and included both.

I'm half expecting to see grass tomorrow, it's so mild and still raining. I've been on a snow holiday almost every year for 25 years and I've never seen it like this. Thanks brexit :)

I promise to comment on everyone else's as soon as I can load them, it's amazing how much I take fast mobile internet for granted :)

Love this shot, smooth and just so cool!

Back