weekly Gremlin16's TP 52 for 2017 thread. WK 12 POWER

Great shot! I wonder if you could have taken it without your own reflection in the frame...

Week 5 - Mineral. Please bear in mind this was taken at the start of the black hour :):):) i was too busy getting my umpah eurotrash dancing on before remembering i had a shot to take. I've PP it as much as i dare just so you can actually see the darn thing. This lump of rock was being used as a chain post at the entrance to the car park. The massive MINERAL vein running through it is Quartz i believe. Yes i know i was lucky enough to be in the Alps where there is an abundance of rock/minerals, but most of it was covered in snow!

I have uploaded the colour version just so you can see the iron ore? in there too, but there is a b&w on flicker also. I'm amazed it's as sharp as it is considering how much booze I'd self medicated :)

TP 52 WK5 2017 Mineral-2 by festerx, on Flickr

WK5 2017 Mineral by festerx, on Flickr

Last edited:
Definitely colour in this case. Blooming good job given the "medication" you were on at the time! Stands out with the DoF.

I can only agree with the above, though it's not the most exciting pic, but then I can talk

Liking the OOF BG ... the subject stands out beautifully ... looks like wood as in broken tree. :exit:

I wasn't too sure about this when i was looking on my phone, but now I've seen it full size, the colours really stand out. Well seen.

I admire your dedication in getting your shot in the dark while "medicated"!

Think I prefer the B&W which really shows the textures well, although the colour version does show the vein through the middle better.

Nice and sharp, and definitely mineral. Good use of DoF too.

Now then, I do need a little artistic licence for this week. Although we cant see it all, it is technically whole :)

The weather just refused to play ball. For the theme of whole, it coincided with a full moon on Feb 10th. Complete cloud cover. No problem, i thought, I'll just try the next day, there won't be much shaved off. 11th Feb, complete cloud cover. And the 12th, and here we are on the 13th, with a very rushed shot as i didn't get in from work until 2300.

Anyhoooo, I set the tripod up, tried a 400mm lens with a X2 converter, a 400mm lens without, then the 70-200 with X2, and without. In the end, the best of the bunch was this one. I think it was on the 80-400 with the X2 attached. I got so cold in the garden that i forget what it was. I've also gone a little too far with the PP, but tried to add a little zing to a very average image. As I had to wait 4 nights after the whole moon, there is a bit missing, but you can see what i was aiming for had conditions been in my favour. I think the square crop works better than a 4:3, but its that late, I cant really see properly anymore!

Im hoping for something a little warmer next week. Cheers.

TP 52 WK6 2017 Whole by festerx, on Flickr

Last edited:
Blimey A+ for effort that's for sure. No doubts about it meeting the theme - obvious what it is and that it's Whole. I like the sharpened craters along the top and rh arc of the moon. Square crop works too.

Great detail in the moon! It looks a little soft, but I guess that can't be avoided unless your shooting from outer space or Chile.

I thought about trying to take the full moon for this week as well, only I took the easy route of setting up something indoors instead :) , well done for persevering!

Looks a pretty good attempt to me, as others have said the detail in the craters on the rhs are great.

Very difficult to choose between colour and B&W for mineral, even though OOF I'm undecided if I'd want the trees straightening.

Thought I might see more moons, I think you IQ will have been a little better without the TC.

(y)

Jenga, lovely shot works perfectly for the theme, can't offer any crit its a really nice photo :clap:

Nice shot, captures the moment well. She look like she is about to push it all over!

Mineral - I really like that shot. Great sharp subject in perfect contrast to the oof background :clap:
Whole - Moon shots are much harder than they look aren't they. I've done a few and I find I have to really push the processing to get something I like. Well played doing the shot in this weather!
Structure - Looks like one to print for the album to me :)

Mineral - I really like that shot. Great sharp subject in perfect contrast to the oof background :clap:
Whole - Moon shots are much harder than they look aren't they. I've done a few and I find I have to really push the processing to get something I like. Well played doing the shot in this weather!
Structure - Looks like one to print for the album to me :)

What kind words, thank you.

Thank you all for your comments, it really gives me an impetus to try hard and also try different things. You all set high standards, I'm so glad I signed up for this.

Back