Critique Grey Heron in flight, opinions please!

Edit My Images
Yes
Just wondering what other people think of this photo. It was quite early in the day, soft light, and so very noisy OOC. I nearly deleted it, but my girlfriend said she liked it. After more heavy PP then I ever really do, I ended up with this. Although I have an opinion, I'm curious what you folks with more experience and knowledge think. Definitely has a bit more of a soft "painting" feeling as opposed to crisp and sharp, but maybe that's not a bad thing? Anyway, here it is:

Grey Heron by Luke Case, on Flickr

Any opinions or criticism very much welcomed :)

if you provide the RAW we could have a go at doing it better but generally speaking the reflection of the bird is rather nice but I wouldn't crop the way you have done. I'd go for a more landscape orientation crop.

What is the best way to do that? Just upload to Flickr and link here? Thanks

AFAIK Flickr doesn't allow RAW files.

Best to upload to something like Dropbox or Google drive and share the link here.

If you only shot in JPG I suggest shooting in RAW in future but you can share the jpg via. a Google Flickr link.

Here's my go at it. Adjusted the exposure, selectively removed noise and sharpened for the web

DSC_0217.jpg

I can see the appeal to the shot Luke but its never going to make a wall hanger.

Firstly its underexposed, at least 2 stops possible a little more. the problem with underexposing and lifting in post, its creating even more noise and deteriorating the detail.

The other problem is, once any pp'ing has been done , cropping just emphasises both the noise and the lack of detail.

By the time you've applied enough NR they'll be very little detail left in the shot.

Thanks Phil. How do you view at upload size? I uploaded at 1200 x 800 and all I can see is 1024 x 684

Sorry Kevin, I just meant the maximum size the forum allows, which I thought was 1024 x 684, didn't think we could upload any larger straight from hard drive?

Thanks for the edit Frogster; I like the cleaner water (I left some debris visible thinking it would look more natural, but i prefer yours!) but when it's cropped like that I think the reeds look funny. Because you're only seeing the reflection, not the reeds, they look upside down.

Phil, I feel pretty much the same. In the early morning light I really struggled to balance ISO, high shutter speed and exposure. I didn't really like the outcome for its technical failings, but wanted other's opinions. Thanks

cropped adjust noise /sharpness and flip
Rob.

49198313402_3cda722b0b_b.jpg

Back