Grey Heron

Name
Wez
Edit My Images
Yes
Went to my mate's pond for the first time this morning as he said that he sees Herons there regularly.

Didn't get a brilliant shot and I know the background is very busy.

I was experimenting with mirror lock up mode and managed to get this one at 1/5th.

He kept going back to that perch though, so I know where to get near to next time :)

D600 Tammy 150-600 F6.3 600 mm 1/5 sec 110 iso

Grey Heron by Wez Filtness, on Flickr

You did pretty good… maybe this rendition could suggest you some ways to
approach your shot and make it more to your liking?

Heron%201.jpg

Last edited:
Daniel, I see the edit a little (too) blue rather than the grey of a Grey Heron

but I only have my laptop and I find it sometimes dangerous to comment when I only see images on my laptop screen

Daniel, I see the edit a little (too) blue rather than the grey of a Grey Heron

but I only have my laptop and I find it sometimes dangerous to comment when I only see images on my laptop screen

Likewise, the edit almost now has an unnatural feel to it now. Much prefer the original.

Daniel, I see the edit a little (too) blue rather than the grey of a Grey Heron… but I only have my laptop and I find it sometimes dangerous to comment when I only see images on my laptop screen

In any case, this is pretty irrelevant because first, I'm suggesting ways to optimize the
rendition and the separation; second, this suggestion is performed on a low quality jpg!

Any suggestion from my part, as long as it is performed on lowQ jpg will never be more
then "what could be" and never "how it should be"!

However, my students know from the
beginning that I WILL NEVER DELIVER A FINAL
RENDITION… even from a RAW file! — since this is their image… as mentor, I can guide
them but never tell them what they should do!

In any case, this is pretty irrelevant because first, I'm suggesting ways to optimize the
rendition and the separation; second, this suggestion is performed on a low quality jpg!

Any suggestion from my part, as long as it is performed on lowQ jpg will never be more
then "what could be" and never "how it should be"!

However, my students know from the
beginning that I WILL NEVER DELIVER A FINAL
RENDITION… even from a RAW file! — since this is their image… as mentor, I can guide
them but never tell them what they should do!

not sure I understand that Daniel

I only said that I see the edit to be a little blue

and

I can never be sure that my comments are 100% as I only have my laptop and sometimes I find it dangerous to comment (too much) on an image when I only see it on my Laptop screen

(all the Grey Herons that I have seen and I have seen a lot tend to have been "greyer" than your edit)

Last edited:
(all the Grey Herons that I have seen and I have seen a lot tend to have been "greyer" than your edit)

I have to agree Bill, most if not all Grey Herons seen by me are in fact grey! :)

Last edited:
I would ideally like the background to be a bit blurrier and not so messy but, at the time, that's what it was like as he was more or less on the bank.

I know you can introduce background blur with PS etc but that's manipulating the image too much IMO.

While I think of it, what tool would u use in PS to select just the bird, so that I could make adjustments to the bird only and leave the BG as it is?

Well, if I look at the OP, the bird is pale blue,
definitely. Since I only tweaked the
mid-tones, the blues will get stronger. I certainly did not introduce new blue!

You may well be right, if the colour temperature was incorrect to begin with then it would be exacerbated with processing.
In general the Grey Heron is grey but in some light it may have a very slight blueish cast in places but never as pronounced as the edit :)

While I think of it, what tool would u use in PS to select just the bird, so that I could make adjustments to the bird only and leave the BG as it is?

I sold my CS6 Master Collection since I do not use any product from the maker.
All PP is now from within my trusted RAW converter. If needed, pixel editing is
done with Affinity Photo (for Mac only at this time!).

I think that the over saturation of the greens brought the blue in ......... If that makes sense

depends how you saw it - but black and grey are the normal colours - but as Roger said some do have alight blueish cast - maybe from the water or sky reflection - which the original posting may have

Grey_Heron_Edit.jpg

Last edited:
I would ideally like the background to be a bit blurrier and not so messy but, at the time, that's what it was like as he was more or less on the bank.

I know you can introduce background blur with PS etc but that's manipulating the image too much IMO.

Wez ......you would have to "mask" the Bird and then soften or blur the background ...... there will be tutorial on Utube or the Adobe site

I think that the over saturation of the greens brought the blue in ......... If that makes sense

Now, that's a grey heron! Cooooool Bill!

It was not the saturation (I did not touch it) but the mid-tones tweak that had this
effect. For the pleasure of this debate, I would very much like to get hold of a full
size 300 ppi, no compression, from an unedited RAW to play with… 'hear that Wez?

Now, that's a grey heron! Cooooool Bill!

It was not the saturation (I did not touch it) but the mid-tones tweak that had this
effect. For the pleasure of this debate, I would very much like to get hold of a full
size 300 ppi, no compression, from an unedited RAW to play with… 'hear that Wez?

U can have the Raw file mate :)

PM me your email address.

Also, been playing around this evening with the black and white points. Used the threshold method on PS where u set the 2 points with the "colour sampler" tool and then make a curves layer and set the points there. It makes a hell of a lot of difference to the photo and it's so simple!

You learn something new every day :)

Back