Wild Griffon Vulture (gyps fulvus)

Name
Graham
Edit My Images
Yes
As I live in the South of France I thought i`d take a day off and go visit the Vultures in the Gorge du Verdon
Awesome place and the afternoon the Vultures did not disappoint me.
I know its not the best and I have loads to trawl through but I liked this shot.

Griffon Vulture (gyps fulvus) 6 (1 of 1) by Graham, on Flickr

Click on the photo for a flickr view.
Any crit please good/bad indifferent.

very good Graham .......

I can see what you are thinking crop-wise but I think that I would still have gone for a more conventional crop size and given the bird more space at the top and bottom

you can raise the shadow and the re-check the B & W points to bring out more detail

but a lovely bird!!!!

a quick edit Graham .. bg needs work and a little more space at the bottom and more time on the bird ...... but I mean in this direction

Graham_2.jpg

Last edited:
just remembered - Gorge du Verdon - driven past there - but the Griffons were "high in the sky"

very good Graham .......

I can see what you are thinking crop-wise but I think that I would still have gone for a more conventional crop size and given the bird more space at the top and bottom

you can raise the shadow and the re-check the B & W points to bring out more detail

but a lovely bird!!!!

a quick edit Graham .. bg needs work and a little more space at the bottom and more time on the bird ...... but I mean in this direction

Graham_2.jpg

Thanks Bill, I forgot to mention that the top is not a crop, just the bottom so I can change that, it's a shame as I myself would have liked more space.
I'll have a look at more PP tomorrow and thanks for the advice.
If I can remember, there are about 44 pairs of these vultures in and around the Gorge.

Super shot, Graham...it must be an amazing to see such impressive birds.

Nice work Graham, good details on the bird. Bill has covered any nits I'd have mentioned

Mike
Thanks Mike, glad you liked it.
Tomorrow I'll finish to upload to Flickr the remaining shots that I'm processing atm.

Super shot, Graham...it must be an amazing to see such impressive birds.
Thanks and yes, the afternoon they went mad and I was in paradise and didn't know which way to turn. To watch them 4/500 metres below and slowly rise on the thermals without breaking a sweat is breathtaking also.

Excellent work on that second shot Graham, far far superior to the first one, and, IMHO of course, one of the best bird shots posted on here this year. I love the environmental background, perfect gliding pose and the much desired head turn towards the camera

It does need a little boost in contrast as its a bit flat, and maybe a touch of vibrance, but thats just the last bit of polish - all the hard work has already been done.

If this were mine I'd make a few subtle PP adjustments then I'd definitely be printing this out at quite a large size - it would be a serious contender for some wall space.

Mike

Graham I like your first image.........But............your second image is top drawer (y):clap::clap::clap::clap:

lovely Graham ...... they can go from beautiful birds to mean "buggers"
Thanks again Bill, no idea about them being "mean buggers" but to watch they are very graceful.

Excellent work on that second shot Graham, far far superior to the first one, and, IMHO of course, one of the best bird shots posted on here this year. I love the environmental background, perfect gliding pose and the much desired head turn towards the camera

It does need a little boost in contrast as its a bit flat, and maybe a touch of vibrance, but thats just the last bit of polish - all the hard work has already been done.

If this were mine I'd make a few subtle PP adjustments then I'd definitely be printing this out at quite a large size - it would be a serious contender for some wall space.

Mike
Erm, how do I put this, I'm blown away by your reply and a big big thanks for saying that this 2nd photo is by far the best on here this year, not a bad shot considering I prefer macro photography lol.
I'll have a look tomorrow on your points of PP and repost it here.
Thanks again [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji106] [emoji2]

Super captures and as most of the guys mention the second shot is awesome with a fantastic POV
Thanks very much for the positive comment :)

Mike
And here is the shot with a bit extra contrast and vibrance.
Griffon Vulture 12 (1 of 1) by Graham, on Flickr

@Graham

I like your RP, it has taken it in the direction I was thinking.

Now I'll admit I don't know these birds, but I'd have gone a little further - I set the black and white points, then did another 'midtown curves adjustment' which is basically a curves layer shaped like an 'S', then took out some of the saturation in the yellowish rocks behind the bird. Lastly, a bit more vibrance solely on the bird.

This may be a little OTT, but this was my thinking

37188998765_a97475b081_k-1024RP.jpg

It's all down to personal taste, and most importantly, you were there to see what the scene was like at the time - your version may well be more accurate!

Either way, its a lovely shot,

thanks for sharing.

Mike

Back