Grounded Boat & Signal Box, Instow, N.Devon

Hi Andy,

I thought you might like to know a little bit about the William Stevenson. She is 104 gross tons and was built in 1967 in the Netherlands for Stevensons of Penzance. She was laid up, which in this case seems to mean deliberately grounded and forgotten:( in 2016.

She and your Yashicamat are probably of a similar vintage.:D

Christopher

Last edited:
Hi Andy,

I thought you might like to know a little bit about the William Stevenson. She is 104 gross tons and was built in 1967 in the Netherlands for Stevensons of Penzance. She was laid up, which in this case seems to mean deliberately grounded and forgotten:( in 2016.

She and your Yashicamat are probably of a similar vintage.:D

Christopher
Thank you Christopher

There were 2 boats about 200 meters apart, both grounded. There seemed to be efforts made to gain access to the boats which was how I got to them, across some boggy ground.

A bit late to this conversation but I have spent a fair bit of time since being a child in that area, there seems to be quite a few boats rotting away between Bideford and Instow some of which are either squatted or officially lived on .The ones on the Instow side of the river but near the A39 bridge have make shift bridges of old pallets
to allow the occupants to avoid the mud. The occupants seems to be arty or new age traveler types .

Back