Growing on me

Edit My Images
Yes
When i first saw the building i knew instantly there was an image there. But when processing it i really wasn't sure. Yet, I've been looking at it for a week or so and its starting to grow on me.
Is it because i wanted it to work or its actually a good image, I'm not sure. So I've finally posted it for others to help me decide.

Architektura
by Tony Sellen, on Flickr

… its starting to grow on me. Is it because i wanted it to work or its actually a good image, I'm not sure

The most important point is not the picture but you.
When looking at a scene it is your capacity to be
opened and in touch that will catch your attention.

Your skills and artistic intent will do the rest: transla-
ting to a picture what grabbed you in the first place.

Here, both have served you very well! (y) :cool:

Works real good for me Sir, well composed, nice movement in the clouds, with a good bit of mono PP work giving a full range of tones.(y)

George.

The most important point is not the picture but you.
When looking at a scene it is your capacity to be
opened and in touch that will catch your attention.

Your skills and artistic intent will do the rest: transla-
ting to a picture what grabbed you in the first place.

Here, both have served you very well! (y) :cool:

Cheers, i think i do like it, and as you say its the main thing.

Works real good for me Sir, well composed, nice movement in the clouds, with a good bit of mono PP work giving a full range of tones.(y)

George.

Thanks George, appreciate the kind words pushing my thoughts in the direction i want (y)

When i first saw the building i knew instantly there was an image there. But when processing it i really wasn't sure. Yet, I've been looking at it for a week or so and its starting to grow on me.
Is it because i wanted it to work or its actually a good image, I'm not sure. So I've finally posted it for others to help me decide.

Architektura by Tony Sellen, on Flickr

my usual..after scrolling down to emulate a top crop...it looked better with some off the top
the building then starts to occupy its real space
the sky isnt that important...the format is...its shape i mean...

my usual..after scrolling down to emulate a top crop...it looked better with some off the top
the building then starts to occupy its real space
the sky isnt that important...the format is...its shape i mean...
Cheers Geof, you may be on to something there. Ill give it a go.

It's one I'd be happy to have taken and published!

A squarer crop may work well - it's something i've started to experiment with for my architecture shots, like this one of the Shard...

a445f38158a9753f648f399af13127f9

https://500px.com/photo/205793851/the-shard-b-w-by-ash-smith

A squarer crop may work well - it's something i've started to experiment with for my architecture shots, like this one of the Shard...

that is a fascinating shot.. more the type which should be taken..the buildings take on a character of power
cheers
geof

Love them! A very foreboding feel and lovely, clean contrast.

A square crop will make the building look too "dumpy". Taller buildings are better having their size shown, makes them much more imposing and adds impact to the image.

A building with nice shapes, as the one below, don't need to have the scale emphasised as much so a square crop works.

haUs

Excellent, love them all (y)

A square crop will make the building look too "dumpy". Taller buildings are better having their size shown, makes them much more imposing and adds impact to the image.

A building with nice shapes, as the one below, don't need to have the scale emphasised as much so a square crop works.

haUs

even that could be cropped....i think "square" is a term...meaning tending away from horizontal or vertical formats
cheers
geof

even that could be cropped....i think "square" is a term...meaning tending away from horizontal or vertical formats
cheers
geof
Any image can be cropped Geof. I'd see square as meaning square personally.

Any image can be cropped Geof. I'd see square as meaning square personally.
the shot which i was referring to was the square crop..and needed in my opinion a bit more cropped off the top...but not suggesting that was square

yes...i suggest to anyone that a squarish crop may be better...not literrally square which was introduced so one didnt have to turn the camera :)
as in the TLR cameras
the 35mm cameras set up the 3:2...then 6:7 on roll film and 6:9

now we have full access to our image digitally...via post processing...any mans crop can be anothers pain in the ass if you take my point, please...:D..but not in your ass

my motto is if a square crop isnt quite the thing...use one that is..but dont let your sensor be your guide...??
just crop to suit the compositional balance...
cheers
geof

Last edited:
the shot which i was referring to was the square crop..and needed in my opinion a bit more cropped off the top...but not suggesting that was square

yes...i suggest to anyone that a squarish crop may be better...not literrally square which was introduced so one didnt have to turn the camera :)
as in the TLR cameras
the 35mm cameras set up the 3:2...then 6:7 on roll film and 6:9

now we have full access to our image digitally...via post processing...any mans crop can be anothers pain in the ass if you take my point, please...:D..but not in your ass

my motto is if a square crop isnt quite the thing...use one that is..but dont let your sensor be your guide...??
just crop to suit the compositional balance... and if it sort of looks square then call it square or with my permission square-ish
otherwise...a crop which is rectangular with no fixed parameters
cheers
geof

Not my scene but this one grabbed my interest, well seen well presented..........great picture...... nothing to change well done:clap::clap::clap::clap:

The first image you have posted Tony is ok, very formulaic, done well but not breaking any new ground. Simply another one of 'those' type of shots.

The second one however adds a new graphic dimension and is all the better for it. I love the shapes and the unusual angle (as opposed to the typical angle of the first).

Shots that make me think what is that and have to do a double take and work out what it is (like your second) are top tier stuff:thumb:

It works for me, Tony.

Thanks Toby.

Not my scene but this one grabbed my interest, well seen well presented..........great picture...... nothing to change well done:clap::clap::clap::clap:

Cheers Charles, always nice to hear an image grabs someones attention.

The first image you have posted Tony is ok, very formulaic, done well but not breaking any new ground. Simply another one of 'those' type of shots.

The second one however adds a new graphic dimension and is all the better for it. I love the shapes and the unusual angle (as opposed to the typical angle of the first).

Shots that make me think what is that and have to do a double take and work out what it is (like your second) are top tier stuff:thumb:

Thanks Mark, appreciate that.
Second one is certainly more "creative", but I'm a fan of the building in the first.

I would add that the first shot would make a super print in my opinion(y)

Nice work on those Tony

haUs

I really like this! they are all good and love this kind of photography, but this one with the blurred clouds WOW!

Nothing to add other than you should be very pleased with the outcome. Another super image from you Tony, which looks better in Flickr.

Back