GSW kidlet female????

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Any ideas about sex please, knowing when that red back of neck shows might help??

Anyway ,a miini project at home based on the bird feeders. She was just a bit late turning up,but we only plonked all the logs out drilled holes popped pool on big plants pots:D,as ya do, 4 hours earlier, :banana: I basically spared no expense, or amount of effort..............even bought bigger pool:eek:

It's quite weird actually trying to make a natural woodland image of what is basically quite a flighty bird sat just inside me front door looking at a scorched dry garden........ come jungle. . Almost felt like making a mini half baked film set what with moss logs pond an' all,:oops: :$

A first for me baiting a woodpecker to make images of. A bit of fun sat in a cool shady place, playing with toys that do amazing things ( iso 16000 the above image.) David......@Regen thanks buddy for the wisdom . Little fella was really steady with the camera,I just sat there and made loads of frames .

In all honesty the light had just gone,maybe 10 mins eailer the last rays to catch here would have been in place so really I wasn't hoping for anything. image wise just gently getting her used to the camera and teasing out some details of log placement, Just need to catch her with some nice light now. I think that will be a challenge getting her here at just the right time,we'll see.
Jees I missed it but a great tit did use our little reflection pool.for a drink.

Guys i'd welcome crit as always say what ya honestly think:),but really the light had gone it's never going to be other than what it is, . Lovely little start though,especially how laid back with the camera noise she is.
Canon 1dxii 400DO is ii 2xextiii 1/640 f10 iso 16000 (NUTZ !!!)

Guys before I go, it's silly season iso wise, this image,talk to me about the noise side of things I know I've blown a few hilights exp wasn't too bad. I was just gobbsmacked by what canons DPP did with this RAW file,, I would love thought, on your opinions noise wise. I did nothing in PS CC at all. These 1dxii files are amazing !. I also noted that even in this very very soft light at this high iso she's spread right across the histogram.she's going to be tricky to expose for.

_S2I8821GSW 1sm by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

take care guys

stu

Nice little juvenile GSW Stu, (red crown and vent) adult male has the red patch on the back of the head, not present in the female.
The shot is pretty clean for ISO 16000 but I wonder why f10, I can't think that was necessary ... ah, or was it required by the use of the converter?
Maybe I would have moved the bird slightly to the left in the frame to have it less central and remove some of the OOF greenery but it all personal choice, central can work too.
These are normally very nervous for me so you were very fortunate that it was so confiding. :)

@regen as your link above wasn't made.

Last edited:
Have to say, that's very clean for such a high iso (y). I'm a little paranoid about high iso settings, even now I've gone FF, a legacy of my 7D days, I'm reluctant to push even my 5D beyond 1600 although I know and have been told it will handle higher settings with ease.

Good to see you getting into this garden wildlife thing Stu, it's nice to get out and about when we can but the garden can be just as generous. We have GSWs about, I hear them a lot and have had them fly over but none at my hide, yet. ;)

Highlights look ok to me, there's one on the back of the head that's popped but it's small and not noticeable.

I may try DPP with 7D files, never have.

Nice little juvenile GSW Stu, (red crown and vent) adult male has the red patch on the back of the head, not present in the female.
The shot is pretty clean for ISO 16000 but I wonder why f10, I can't think that was necessary ... ah, or was it required by the use of the converter?
Maybe I would have moved the bird slightly to the left in the frame to have it less central and remove some of the OOF greenery but it all personal choice, central can work too.
These are normally very nervous for me so you were very fortunate that it was so confiding. :)

@regen as your link above wasn't made.

As always thanks for the kindness Roger,Regen is a clever man with our wildlife,his words helped me here and I wanted to acknowledge that.

Mate I unserstand how to sex and ID GSW adults and kids. This fella looks like it's half though the moult into adult plumage,(I'm sure they have more red on the cap ??) so basically I wondered if this is female because no red has yet started to show.? I simply do know at what age they change into adult plumage,simply assumed that is what I'm seeing here.

Buddy the ext takes me to f8,fella is pretty close. I literally went to f10 as a couple of earlier frames were more head on and the beak wasn't inside the dof. I was experimenting with all this Roger playing basically. I am pretty unfamiliar with 800mm

Agreed on position in frame buddy my bad . They are jumpy aren't they,mate. this juvie has been brought here probably since she fledged Roger. My darling spends alot of time working in the kitchen with the front door open,so she's a tiny bit more forgiving than the parents,basically because she's grown up knowing here,I suppose.

Thanks mate always lovely to muse techs,and what others see,

thats a good starting point which will improve when better lighting is available to brighten/lighten the background. Woodpeckers are happiest and maybe less jumpy if they are feeding off a vertical or near vertical tree trunk. Te log you have is great for moss cover and colour. Don't forget that if you go for vertical with any moss/plant covered bark to choose a dead tree that is still standing so that it look absolutely natural and all the better if theres a broken branch still attached (as long a new,sawn breaks don't show.

Good luck

Regen

Have to say, that's very clean for such a high iso (y). I'm a little paranoid about high iso settings, even now I've gone FF, a legacy of my 7D days, I'm reluctant to push even my 5D beyond 1600 although I know and have been told it will handle higher settings with ease.

Good to see you getting into this garden wildlife thing Stu, it's nice to get out and about when we can but the garden can be just as generous. We have GSWs about, I hear them a lot and have had them fly over but none at my hide, yet. ;)

Highlights look ok to me, there's one on the back of the head that's popped but it's small and not noticeable.

I may try DPP with 7D files, never have.

Dale, you know full well i'm no expert on post,I'm slowly learning but am really in nowhere's land big picture wise,you also know mike and the guys have taught me to push iso from almost the beginning of my digital learning curve,get sharp files exp to the right and worrry on noise later. so these are my opinions mate and might not be quite accurate,but what I see regarding dpp and noise

I started using dpp as a 3 version ie dpp3 not the currant 4 point sommit. dpp was crap back then mate compared to what it is like now. Dale I'm not great with didgi,but i've always felt dpp was the RAW converter for me,as it takes advantage of all of canons actual technology rather than copies of tha,t that adobe use. I know there have been amazing advances in sensor tech from when your 7D and my 1Div were made to the current 1dxii and 5div we both now are lucky enough to use. what the above image says to me is that we have no where near the worries now about high iso as we do with our earlier bodies.Look maybe i'ma bit more familiar with these high isos,but it's there plain as day above,these new sensors can handle it

I don't really know how much canons own tech helped me here.with the noise,what I can tell you is I was dumfounded as I pushed up that slider for luma noise. It seems to just clean up the whole image in a really non distructive way really effecting the bkg but the subject not so much. There are some very sphisticated nr programmes out there mate,but simply wow for a canon freebie. I updated to the latest dpp incarante while loading up all the 1dxii stuff" Dale so i'm not really sure is they have recently done more,that might effect NR ,I suspect not,but who knows. So i'm deeply unsure on how dpp will work with those older files bar the fact they did ok for me with my old camera,of a simialr age to yours. as dpp 4.6

Dale everything is differnt with the 1dxii files to the 1div files I am familiar with,but it has to be worth playing with dpp. It isn't going to give the results it will with your 5div but it has to be worth looking into.

I have alot going on at home mate wildlife wise,I'm incredibly lucky,I tend to make images away from here as it simply gets my lady out ,she doesn't drive so is pretty much isolated. But you are right it's also really good setting up something like this as it really makes one ponder the results and how we can influence the outcome of our images. yeah I just blew that bit up top hilight wise.

I've just had her here while writing to you Dale so maybe have out done this frame now,she jumped a biit at the first frame then ignored me,I just need her to explore the other stuff I've put out now.

thanks buddy

stu

thats a good starting point which will improve when better lighting is available to brighten/lighten the background. Woodpeckers are happiest and maybe less jumpy if they are feeding off a vertical or near vertical tree trunk. Te log you have is great for moss cover and colour. Don't forget that if you go for vertical with any moss/plant covered bark to choose a dead tree that is still standing so that it look absolutely natural and all the better if theres a broken branch still attached (as long a new,sawn breaks don't show.

Good luck

Regen

More great tips mate thank you!
! have got a vertical set up,mum found it this morn ,but I was too slow..................... point taken on the log being standing,mine wasn't:oops: :$ I'll try and ammend that shortly Dave thanks for the help mate really appreciated you got me off to a flier here:D

stu

Dale, you know full well i'm no expert on post,I'm slowly learning but am really in nowhere's land big picture wise,you also know mike and the guys have taught me to push iso from almost the beginning of my digital learning curve,get sharp files exp to the right and worrry on noise later. so these are my opinions mate and might not be quite accurate,but what I see regarding dpp and noise

I started using dpp as a 3 version ie dpp3 not the currant 4 point sommit. dpp was crap back then mate compared to what it is like now. Dale I'm not great with didgi,but i've always felt dpp was the RAW converter for me,as it takes advantage of all of canons actual technology rather than copies of tha,t that adobe use. I know there have been amazing advances in sensor tech from when your 7D and my 1Div were made to the current 1dxii and 5div we both now are lucky enough to use. what the above image says to me is that we have no where near the worries now about high iso as we do with our earlier bodies.Look maybe i'ma bit more familiar with these high isos,but it's there plain as day above,these new sensors can handle it

I don't really know how much canons own tech helped me here.with the noise,what I can tell you is I was dumfounded as I pushed up that slider for luma noise. It seems to just clean up the whole image in a really non distructive way really effecting the bkg but the subject not so much. There are some very sphisticated nr programmes out there mate,but simply wow for a canon freebie. I updated to the latest dpp incarante while loading up all the 1dxii stuff" Dale so i'm not really sure is they have recently done more,that might effect NR ,I suspect not,but who knows. So i'm deeply unsure on how dpp will work with those older files bar the fact they did ok for me with my old camera,of a simialr age to yours. as dpp 4.6

Dale everything is differnt with the 1dxii files to the 1div files I am familiar with,but it has to be worth playing with dpp. It isn't going to give the results it will with your 5div but it has to be worth looking into.

I have alot going on at home mate wildlife wise,I'm incredibly lucky,I tend to make images away from here as it simply gets my lady out ,she doesn't drive so is pretty much isolated. But you are right it's also really good setting up something like this as it really makes one ponder the results and how we can influence the outcome of our images. yeah I just blew that bit up top hilight wise.

I've just had her here while writing to you Dale so maybe have out done this frame now,she jumped a biit at the first frame then ignored me,I just need her to explore the other stuff I've put out now.

thanks buddy

stu

Appreciate the time and effort in that reply Stu mate. I will give the 7 one more chance with DPP and see how it goes.

Keep us posted on your garden exploits. (y)

Appreciate the time and effort in that reply Stu mate. I will give the 7 one more chance with DPP and see how it goes.

I have never owned a 7d but have seen the results from several over the years. back about 2010/12 i felt it compared very favourably with both the 5d2 and 1dmk3 with the advantage it seemed incorporate some of the best points from both the other cameras at a very reasonable price. However I was still in the mindset that 400 ISO was high and 800 was pushing it!

Regen

Glad to see you are enjoying your new toy(s)! I have found GSW to be one extreme or the other - some very flighty, others (sort of) approachable, especially in a garden. Look forward to seeing some more. TFS

cheers John toys are amazing ,me playing catch up ,good fun though and more than a little bewildering. I do find them flighty, birds that frequent hide feeder or birds used to hearing seeing joe public often less so,but by and large nervous. I just got a breif spell hand held,with it today,afore going out to check out upton warren,something i've wanted to do for eons,it's not so far for us. Nice place,you can see the crew do some graft and good works up there. But it's a blummin desert in our neck of the woods, The lack of water on the part they call the flashes such a shame. it should be heaving with life ,but looks like a water hole might in Africa,so sad nature will sort it,but it's a shame at this time.
Back to woodie ,I basically shot almost exactly the same images ,only with more light might pop one up tomorrow,but similar more light great experience for me and it gets her used to the shutter noise. if nowt else:) mind she jumped half out of frame the first time I nabbed a frame:D

Haha, if at first....@gramps...Roger after your comment on dof,I had a look on one of the calculators,she's roughly 7 meters away. I can't find a calculator ,for the specifics of my gear,but a 1dx 2x ff so 800mm gives me around 5cm to play with at f11. if I've got me numbers right and all that !! Honestly Roger I thought it would be more

She's pretty close buddy.,Sorry I didn't really indicate that,the frames aren't cropped. i'm deliberately being very tight with my framing, and using the 2x, at the moment. So much is new i'm not going to need 800 mm all the time,but I need to have some idea what it can do. What a cool way to lean as well.

cheers lads

stu

Back