GT binge at Donington Park

Name
Left TalkPhotography
Edit My Images
No
I'm really surprised how few threads are up already, I know plenty more of you attended! Anyway, I'll refrain from commenting on the racing itself as I'm sure we could fill pages discussing what went on. As for myself I've been to Donington many times now, it's my local track, so I tried to bring a few new angles as well as making best use of the light available on saturday.

Any comments and criticisms are greatly appreciated, I'm always looking to improve!

United Autosports by tomloomes, on Flickr

All-Inkl.com Münnich Motorsport by tomloomes, on Flickr

Motorbase 911 at Sunset by tomloomes, on Flickr

Chevron *** by tomloomes, on Flickr

Motorbase Performance by tomloomes, on Flickr

Belgian Audi Club Team WRT by tomloomes, on Flickr

Last edited:
Great set, like the different angles, especially #7. Not sure I have seen that angle before.
Also probably saw you as we must have been standing in the same place for #12.

Last edited:
Great set, like the different angles, especially #7. Not sure I have seen that angle before.
Also probably saw you as we must have been standing in the same place for #12.

Thanks Dan. Adam and I were chatting when he pointed you out on the other side of the track, I never got the chance to introduce myself though. You had quite a following with you!

number 7 was a nice surprise! never seen that angle before and i like it!

(just realised i'm saying the same as Dan)

Appreciate it Gary.

Loving these - great work!!! Never shot donnington b4 looks quite interesting

Thanks!

Really nice shots, gutted I missed this :( When and where is the next meeting?

Fantastic set. 3, 5, 7 & 12 are my faves.

Is 7 up round the far end of the circuit near Coppice? Like others have said, really original angle. Just can't put my thumb on where it actually is.

Really nice shots, gutted I missed this :( When and where is the next meeting?

Possibly never for GT1, that series finished with this one off appearance at Donington. British GT will be back next year, I'd imagine Donington will be a later round like it has been for the past few years.

Fantastic set. 3, 5, 7 & 12 are my faves.

Is 7 up round the far end of the circuit near Coppice? Like others have said, really original angle. Just can't put my thumb on where it actually is.

It is indeed. I was considering keeping the exact location to myself, at least while the shot is still considered an original angle but that's rather selfish. It's just between the track opening for the tow tractor and the old tunnel under the circuit. For spectators that means shooting just above the tire wall, though a fence about 6ft away (with a huge metal cable running across just above car level), through another fence you can stand up against.

Great set Tom! #1, 5 & #7 for me! :)

Thanks Ash!

#5 really is nice, keep going back to that one.
#7 as the others have said is a different angle which must be close to impossible to get now a day.
#12 is the 'pick of the day' for me, simple and captivating - big thumbs up

.DAVID.

no 5

please try cropping so car and moon are in the corners of the frame.
it may make it a stunner?

Awesome pictures Tom. I'm gutted I missed the Saturday evening, alas I was on a plane coming back from Switzerland so it was impossible to make it on time. 4, 5 and 12 are my faves out of this set.

I love #12 -really nice. I've never shot motorsports before but that's just persuaded me to give it a go! (y)

Quick question (probably a noob q, sorry!) your tags on Flickr for #12 say 70-200 lens, but the exif shows 400mm - did you use a tele converter? I thought they really damaged image quality but clearly not as much as I thought...

I really appreciate all the comments everyone, this has to be my most well received thread I've ever made here. I can't wait to be back at Donington for Britcar.

Quick question (probably a noob q, sorry!) your tags on Flickr for #12 say 70-200 lens, but the exif shows 400mm - did you use a tele converter? I thought they really damaged image quality but clearly not as much as I thought...

I did indeed. I use the Canon 2x Extender III combined with the non-IS version of the 70-200mm f/2.8L lens. Autofocus is still extremely fast even on my 5D2 which some may argue has a rather poor autofocus system compared to newer cameras. On a crop body most tend to use the lens with the 1.4x Extender.

I also edited a few more pictures in the week so I'll throw them up here for everyone to see, I hope it's not too many.

Ecurie Ecosse by tomloomes, on Flickr

Team GT Academy / RJN Motorsport by tomloomes, on Flickr

Belgian Audi Club Team WRT by tomloomes, on Flickr

BMW Team Vita4One by tomloomes, on Flickr

Last edited:
What an array! I only wish I could come away from Donny with shots like this!
Numbers 1, 5, 7 and 13 are the stand out shots for me. Though nice to see such a wide range of angles. I always find Donny a bitch to shoot at due to my lack of reach and the catch fencing. Your shots have given me some inspiration for next weekends Masters there!
Nice one!

Back