Guilty secret

Very nice.
Love the processing

Thanks Robert.
To me just a bit too Black and White if that makes sense with not an awful lot of grey inbetween. Very striking though and that sky is something else.

Did you do this on ON1 RAW?

Steve, I know just what you mean, about the contrast & mid-tones - if I were printing, this would be a multigrade number 5! (super-contrasty). The sky is the product of a red filter (in software) to really drop luminosity of the blue right away, and I pushed the whites and blacks a little to try to keep a bit of sparkle in there.

I'm still working in LR and Silver Efex. The problem I have with On1 right now is getting exporting right: either pictures come out soft or crunchy/noisy, and I've not learned the export side properly yet. I probably could have done this in that software, but I'm still staying comfortable with a combo that works well for me. It's really hard to change workflow once a pattern is established, and I know what I need to do to get the result I want.

Thanks Robert.

Steve, I know just what you mean, about the contrast & mid-tones - if I were printing, this would be a multigrade number 5! (super-contrasty). The sky is the product of a red filter (in software) to really drop luminosity of the blue right away, and I pushed the whites and blacks a little to try to keep a bit of sparkle in there.

I'm still working in LR and Silver Efex. The problem I have with On1 right now is getting exporting right: either pictures come out soft or crunchy/noisy, and I've not learned the export side properly yet. I probably could have done this in that software, but I'm still staying comfortable with a combo that works well for me. It's really hard to change workflow once a pattern is established, and I know what I need to do to get the result I want.
How is it for artifacts up close.

Silver FX can make for very striking images but also massively destructive. I found using the red filter gave amazing look like black skies but up close all sort of strange fringes, artifacts and halos so I abandoned ship.

This is 100%. It's a bit artifacted but not terrible - copuld certainly be better though.
Guilty secret 100%-.jpg

And this is the original. Looking again now, I can see it's actually quite high contrast around the houses, with the low sun coming through & trees in shadow.
Guilty secret pre-05199.jpg

Last edited:
I like this very much but I find the sky over-powering the main subject below. I'm tempted to make the sky less heavy, and/or crop a bit more off the top.

I like this very much but I find the sky over-powering the main subject below. I'm tempted to make the sky less heavy, and/or crop a bit more off the top.

Thanks Des. For me, the intensely dark section of sky at the top mirrors and balances the dark section of trees at the bottom, leaving a bright space below with a slightly jarring off-centre vapour trail. The scene for me presents a situation where something is disturbing nature, and all the un-natural contrast is hopefully setting the viewers mind up to expect to be a little disturbed. Or perhaps I'm just being a little pretentious. ;)

Not pretentious at all, Toni. The thing about photography is that it's subjective. Also, not all viewers would necessarily interpret the scene as you do. I often find that others see what I've missed, or just simply prefer or dislike my aesthetics, in my work. To that end, all/any opinions are just as valid.

Atmospheric gem, this prominent plume from such vertical shafts defines how mankind trashes nature.

A certain lady from the Nordic peninsula would of course place this on her twitter header to remind those naysayers ... their future.

Neat as hell.

This is actually the vapour plume from a high temperature incinerator for domestic waste. It's operated by Viridor near to the Ardley quarry landfill site, and is used to burn domestic waste with, IIRC, some kind of energy reclamation. There was a lot of protest when it was built, but it's supposed to be super-clean and does deal with the landfill issue.

Back