Gull vs Heron

Name
Etienne
Edit My Images
Yes
Around a year ago I went to this beach and saw a Heron on the beach for the first time. It was nice to see one in a different environment to the usual reeds/freshwater etc. I went back there recently (around a year later) and saw two. I guess they can make use of the rockpools at low tide but the low tide sandy beaches nearer to where I live would be useless.

Trying to hide from me a little it seems...

Sneaky by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

I got a bit closer but eventually he flew around me and back behind me in the direction where I'd come from. At least he/she was considerate to fly east so I wasn't shooting into the sun any more!

Braking Hard by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

I starting heading back where I came from to get closer. It's not easy walking on seaweed covered rocks that have 2-3 foot deep holes etc when I consider what I'm carrying in my hands lol.

I got closer but he decided to get more distance again

Lift by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

He/she and I exchanged looks as it went past

Low Pass & Glance by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Side-on by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

This last little jaunt of the Heron seemed to get the attention of a grumpy Seagull because it made one angry pass at it lol

Incoming 1 by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Incoming 2 by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Incoming 3 by Etienne Fournier, on Flickr

Last edited:

You really got the whole story… very cool!
Did you see it coming?

I'd only seen a Heron on the beach once before but the Gulls didn't really seem to care before. Not sure what annoyed that Gull lol :)

Would a Heron ever attack a Gull?

I'd only seen a Heron on the beach once before but the Gulls didn't really seem to care before. Not sure what annoyed that Gull lol :)

Would a Heron ever attack a Gull?

I have seen a Heron swallow 5 ducklings in 10 secs in front of their mother - they will kill anything if they can

Can't see a Heron taking an adult gull but it would certainly take eggs/chicks so that's probably why the Gull was chasing it off :)

One strike from that bill ... they don't take prisoners

Heron_27.jpg

Last edited:
Can't see a Heron taking an adult gull but it would certainly take eggs/chicks so that's probably why the Gull was chasing it off :)

Yeah I thought about a nest being nearby but it was low tide and we were near the waters edge so I doubt we were near anything the Seagull was protecting. I guess it just doesn't like Herons lol

Yeah I thought about a nest being nearby but it was low tide and we were near the waters edge so I doubt we were near anything the Seagull was protecting. I guess it just doesn't like Herons lol

Many birds will chase off predators even when they are not nesting, e.g. rooks will often be seen chasing off a Buzzard :)

Back