Gweedore, Co. Donegal

Edit My Images
No
I absolutely love living in Donegal, with Malin Head to the north which kicks off the Wild Atlantic Way. To me it's the most beautiful of all Ireland's counties and while I've got the most stunning scenery on my doorstep I had the opportunity last week to take a trip with my daughter and her friend to the absolutely beautiful west of the county, in particular the Gweedore area. One of the most stunning views is of the highest peak in the county, Mount Errigal, part of what’s known locally as the 7 sisters, the range is actually called the Derryveagh Mountains. The scenery is wild and barren, the area is lightly populated with probably one of the hardiest of people I've ever met. It's not an easy life as most of the area is inhabitable and isolated and can be extremely harsh in the winter months. At any time of year the views are breath-taking, especially if you're lucky to get a clear day and lucky enough that the tip of the mountain is not shrouded in cloud or mist. Anyway here's a few from the day out, hope you like them and sorry for rambling on about my home county, I know there aren't a lot of people from Ireland on here so I like to share a bit about the locality!!

Bloody Foreland.jpg Bloody ForelandMount Errigal 2.jpg Mount ErrigalMount Errigal.jpg Mount Errigal & Dunlewy LakePort Arthur.jpg Port ArthurThe Derryeaghs.jpgThe Derryveaghs

Last edited:
Donegal on a clear winter's day - hard to beat.

Have never thought of Bloody Foreland in black and white. Do you know how it got its name?

Thanks @B_M, I agree with you completely, a clear winters day is definitely a fine day in Donegal :)

I took a few shots around the Bloody Foreland area and that one just seemed to say B&W to me. As far as I know it got the name because in summer when the heather is in full bloom it looks like blood on the hills at sunset, but that might not be right. The friend we had with us is from Gweedore and that was what she told me anyway!! Do you know the area well?

Thanks @B_M, I agree with you completely, a clear winters day is definitely a fine day in Donegal :)

I took a few shots around the Bloody Foreland area and that one just seemed to say B&W to me. As far as I know it got the name because in summer when the heather is in full bloom it looks like blood on the hills at sunset, but that might not be right. The friend we had with us is from Gweedore and that was what she told me anyway!! Do you know the area well?
We have a holiday house nearby. The cliffs you photographed - in black and white - reflect the setting summer sun, usually various shades of red. Hence the name. To be honest I'm usually too full of Guinness at that time to get a decent photo

We have a holiday house nearby. The cliffs you photographed - in black and white - reflect the setting summer sun, usually various shades of red. Hence the name. To be honest I'm usually too full of Guinness at that time to get a decent photo

Ah the old Guinness, hard to beat. I'd love to have a place around there, it's such a beautiful area and the people are lovely!!

Back