GWoC and Beijing

Edit My Images
Yes
Beijing was my last stop on a tour of China and thankfully I had one of my students to show me around and take me up to the Great Wall.

1. Forbidden City Pogoda
BJIX by Ian, on Flickr

2. Forbidden City decoration
BJX by Ian, on Flickr

3. Forbidden City North-west corner
BJI by Ian, on Flickr

4. Forbidden City North-east corner
BJIII by Ian, on Flickr

5. The National Centre for Performing Arts
BJV by Ian, on Flickr

6. Great Wall of China at Mutianyu
BJVI by Ian, on Flickr

7. GWoC
BJVII by Ian, on Flickr

I met a local photographer at the North-east corner of the Forbidden City. He goes to that same spot every night he can (he lives three minutes away) and takes more or less the same view but has an amazing range of shots - rainbows, double rainbows, lightening, stunning sunsets. But I was pleased with what I got in my one hour-long visit.

Last edited:
Lovely, I wish I could visit there.

I forget the name for them, but did you get any photos of the little side roads/alleys?

I forget the name for them, but did you get any photos of the little side roads/alleys?
Are they the pudongs hutongs (or something like that)? I went to one but it was full of mobile phone shops and KFC outlets so while seeing old Beijing living complexes was nice it wasn't awfully photogenic.

Last edited:

one I took In Bejing

MeO8vF1.jpg

great wall awaiting repair

SkEhsKp.jpg

This is how bad it actually was when we were there, up in the cloud layer ( unedited)
DSC_3423.JPG

Last edited:
Great pics. I spent a couple of months in China in 1988, travelling around was pretty hard but an amazing country.

We came home across the Soviet Union on the Trans Siberian railway in winter which was superb!

Must scan in some of my Kodachrome and Fujichrome slides....

Great pics. I spent a couple of months in China in 1988, travelling around was pretty hard but an amazing country.

We came home across the Soviet Union on the Trans Siberian railway in winter which was superb!

Travelling was tough for me too but mainly because I couldn't find the car I had ordered to meet me at Shanghai train station so had to randomly ask people until I found an English-speaker who managed to order me a dodgy cab, and then my colleague took us to the wrong train station for the Beijing train so we had to wait five hours for a six hour train journey.

My son is hoping to go to China on the Trans Siberian later this year. Jealous.

Last edited:
Excellent set, thanks for sharing (y)

Back