GWR Large Prairie

Name
Geoff
Edit My Images
Yes
GWR Large Prairie 4144 2-6-2T was built at Swindon in September 1946 and withdrawn, from Severn Tunnel Junction depot, in March 1965, being sent to Woodham Bros. of Barry for cutting up. A vistor from the Didcot Railway Centre during the KWVR Steam Gala a few weeks back.

loco-4144-5883.jpg

loco-4144-5906.jpg

loco-4144-8223.jpg

loco-4144-8234.jpg

loco-4144-8251.jpg

Geoff,

A really good set of images, in fact No. 5 is so good that if it were mine I would get a large print and hang it on a wall. It took me a while to decide between 2 and 5 for best image, it was a difficult choice but I finally decided on 5 as it shows her in a typical GWR setting, as opposed to a solitary locomotive portrait.

Being a Cornishman who grew up with them, I have always loved the 45XX/4575 tanks, but considered the 41's looked better balanced because of the larger boiler and driving wheels.

Thanks Chris, it's the first time I've seen this loco as it came up from the Didcot Railway Centre and it was nice to see it running both a passenger train and freight on the day...

I was only 6 when the last of the steam engines ran, so I enjoy watching and photographing them and appreciate the sheer amount of time, effort and money that has gone into preserving these engines for future generations to enjoy

Back