H5N8 Bird Flu confirmed at Slimbridge.

Name
'Gramps'
Edit My Images
No
Sadly the H5N8 bird flu infection has now been confirmed at Slimbridge :(
Not too sure of the impact for visitors at the moment other than disinfectant foot mats and additional hand-wash facilities, though there are some vehicle movement restrictions in force.

Just had confirmation from the Wardens that the site remains open currently but with the additional precautions ... disinfectant mats etc, please use them if visiting :)

So there's nothing on their website that I can see, only a couple of local news reports, of which one says 4 birds at Slimbridge (while showing a photo of one of the captive ruffs), the other saying 4 birds in Gloucestershire, not specifically Slimbridge, and inferring they were discovered over Christmas. When we were there just after Christmas there were disinfectant mats but only as you came out, one each side of the path leaving a clear route between them and nothing to tell visitors to use them. Most people wouldn't have a clue what they were for. I hope they've got some better info out on site now, though being practical this is far more likely to be spread by birds themselves than by people.

So there's nothing on their website that I can see, only a couple of local news reports, of which one says 4 birds at Slimbridge (while showing a photo of one of the captive ruffs), the other saying 4 birds in Gloucestershire, not specifically Slimbridge, and inferring they were discovered over Christmas. When we were there just after Christmas there were disinfectant mats but only as you came out, one each side of the path leaving a clear route between them and nothing to tell visitors to use them. Most people wouldn't have a clue what they were for. I hope they've got some better info out on site now, though being practical this is far more likely to be spread by birds themselves than by people.

Only just had the PM report back apparently ... the concern is spreading the disease by foot or tyre to other areas of wild or captive birds :)

That's very sad but I guess inevitable with that volume of birds there, the mats were down on Monday not sure if that was their first day? there was no bird feed for sale stating for protection reasons again good practice but people had took their own and ignored signs and carried on feeding the birds !

That's very sad but I guess inevitable with that volume of birds there, the mats were down on Monday not sure if that was their first day? there was no bird feed for sale stating for protection reasons again good practice but people had took their own and ignored signs and carried on feeding the birds !
Saw one guy deliberately avoiding the disinfectant mat too!

but people had took their own and ignored signs and carried on feeding the birds !
Saw one guy deliberately avoiding the disinfectant mat too!
Some people can be so damned irresponsibly at times :(
And that's pretty much all points of the compass now :(

It was inevitable that it was going to get here sooner or later. Let's just hope it remains low level.
Sadly there will always be people who think that the warnings etc are only for other people, not for them. I don't know how you deal with that. :(

I don't know how you deal with that. :(
They only way they sit up and take note is if it has a detrimental effect on them personally,
And then of course the was some other "Irresponsible idiots fault" :(

I've just been notified that the restrictions that are in place for (not) flying BoP's have now been extended till the 28th Feb. ( and then to be reviewed after that.)
I suspect that this is going to drag on for quite some time now :(

I've just been notified that the restrictions that are in place for (not) flying BoP's have now been extended till the 28th Feb. ( and then to be reviewed after that.)
I think your right I can see this going on some time :(

Thanks for heads up.

Heard a radio report of a 'Free Range' supplier being about to receive 20,000 poulets and they needed special permission from DEFRA to keep them classed as free range, even though they will be kept indoors until this is all over.

I've just been notified that the restrictions that are in place for (not) flying BoP's have now been extended till the 28th Feb.

Thanks for the headsup. Looks like our ladies are under cover for another few weeks. They're not happy :(

Heard a radio report of a 'Free Range' supplier being about to receive 20,000 poulets and they needed special permission from DEFRA to keep them classed as free range, even though they will be kept indoors until this is all over.
Erm that kinda defeats the object doesn't it?
Although I can understand them asking ...
Thanks for the headsup. Looks like our ladies are under cover for another few weeks. They're not happy :(
I bet they aren't :( and my birds are equally p***ed off staying tethered in the mews.
Actually scratch that they couldn't give a monkey's as long as they are well fed :D

Actually scratch that they couldn't give a monkey's as long as they are well fed :D

So they're fed up then? :cymbalcrash: :tumbleweed:

Not sure if it was mentioned on here, there was a case at WWT LLanelli just before Christmas, they've had the all clear to re-open now. If from the same strain it seems to spread quickly?

Not sure if it was mentioned on here, there was a case at WWT LLanelli just before Christmas, they've had the all clear to re-open now. If from the same strain it seems to spread quickly?
Yes fortunately Llanelli was only closed for a short time ... infections reported in Scotland, Wales and England with Slimbridge being the most recently confirmed.
I was talking to one of the Wardens recently who explained that they regularly find dead birds and they get sent off for post-mortem so there is obviously a time lag beteen discovering an infected bird and confirming the infection.
At Slimbridge yesterday the only real evidence was the disinfectant foot mats ... initially frozen but quickly defrosted by staff.

WWT at Llanelli back open. Tray of disinfectant there for you to walk through, going in and out.........

And another case of bird flu in Pontyberem, several miles from Llanelli reported a couple of days ago.

So they're fed up then?
Actually that's where the saying comes from ;)

Along with many others including...
"On the cadge" Someone who carry's the cadge ( mobile perch )
"Old codger" as above
"Haggard" Older hawk, taken from the wild, usually a pita to train.
"Hoodwinked" Hooded, to quieten down or distract a bird.
"Under the thumb" the way the jesses are held, to restrain / keep the bird under control
"Boozer" from to bowse or bowser the way hawks drink their fill.

Back