Hadrians Wall Astro

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
Yes
I had hoped to take a shot of Sycamore Gap with the Milky Way behind but my timings were out and I never got the chance to do a recce in the light. Didn't fancy going up in the pitch dark. Drove along the road to Cawfield Quarry and made the climb to use Hadrians Wall as some foreground. I took a few shots and most had a strange diagonal light path coming from the corner of the sky. See second image. I can only imagine they are planes but I'm amazed at how steep the incline of their climb was. They also seemed to be a streak of like then a gap and then another streak and they only came part way up the sky. Any ideas.

Hadrian's Wall with Milky Way by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

810_2744 by Simon Wootton, on Flickr

A plane with constant lights on each wing tip with the flashing lights closer to the fuselage being dotted along the length as they flashed.
Obviously the ends of the streaks will be the position of the plane at the start and end of the exposure.

Last edited:
Thanks, disappointed it wasn't a UFO. The steepness of the climb is incredible and it doesn't feel like that when you are on a plane. There is an image where there is a broken line almost like they switched the lights off. I suppose it could have been one coming in and one going out. Looking at the map must have been Carlisle airport

Last edited:
20km in 86 secs is 837.21 which is 520mph, so it's a plane.

I like the photo :D

The steepness of the climb is incredible

It's not climbing its flying diagonally across the image. Imagine a plane flying directly towards you; it would come up over the horizon at the bottom and appear to go striaght up the photo as it went overhead.

Back