Hadrons 52 for 21 Week 52 - Showcase (Done and dusted)

does giving me Playmobile mean she's trying to tell me something?
Tells you she's happy to indulge your passions. Hold on to her :)

I like it. for me though, if you're going to the trouble of almost burning the present your wife bought you, the flames should be a bit more prominent. May as well be hung for a sheep as for a lamb. The lighting is nice too with no hard specular highlights and no other nasty reflections.

Superb, i would never have thought of doing something like this.

I obviously need to start thinking outside the box a bit more

Very nicely presented.

Thanks for taking the time to take a look. As far as the flames are concerned I agree they would benefit from being more prominent but I was taking liberties as it was given I took the shot on the dining table. Any more fire and I think I would most likely still be walking somewhat awkwardly :oops: :$:ROFLMAO:

I was given a model of the same car at Xmas and have wondered about creating a scene with it. Your effort looks great, extra bonus points for using real fire. I have an old baking tray that would be my base for anything involving fire on that scale.

Nice... I'm a sucker for symmetry!

The only thing I'm not sure about is where they meet, but then again I'm not sure just having them touching would actually improve it.

Multiple pairs seem to be way to go for this theme. I like slight shadow and the shape created by the two.

I have to admit, i'm not hugely struck on this. As an image the lighting and colours are really good but I'm afraid the composition isn't really doing it for me - sorry :)

I like it! If it's what I think it is .... mirror imaging in post. ?

Nice... I'm a sucker for symmetry!

The only thing I'm not sure about is where they meet, but then again I'm not sure just having them touching would actually improve it.
Multiple pairs seem to be way to go for this theme. I like slight shadow and the shape created by the two.
I have to admit, i'm not hugely struck on this. As an image the lighting and colours are really good but I'm afraid the composition isn't really doing it for me - sorry :)
I like it! If it's what I think it is .... mirror imaging in post. ?

Thanks for taking the time to comment. I’m not wholly struck by the composition either, it was one of those situations where you keep fiddling things around and never quite seem to get it how you like. My initial plan was to have them almost touching but not quite, however it just looked awkward and this seemed to be the most aesthetically pleasing version I could arrive at. As @d00d guessed it was mirrored in post, the reason was I’d set my mind on trying focus stacking (this was 8 shots stacked) and thought if I was playing in PP anyway then why not?
Thanks again. James :)

Nice pairing of pairs :)

They look like small robots of some kind. I like it!
Well done for thinking of the pairing idea, I think it works really well, you’ve ended up with a very pleasing image.
I like the white on white with the shadow but not totally sure about the mirroring. I do like the inclusion of the light blue pairing lights.
Nice pairing of pairs :)

Thanks for the input, really appreciate you taking the time to have a look :)

Pair
Interesting composition, which I actually quite like. Sort of minimalist too.

Week 7 - (Depict) a Film. I think I've struggled more for inspiration this week than any other so far (yes I know its only week 7 :ROFLMAO:). In the end seeing as my 4 year old son is dinosaur mad it seemed silly not to play with his toys... sorry I mean borrow some props. I also thought it was a good opportunity to have a play with Affinity Photo and try and get to grips with it (normally I do pretty much everything in C1 and only really use AP for removing more complex objects.
Thanks for looking. James :)

jurpark by James, on Flickr

Last edited:
Yep that ^^^^^ - or choose one of many other Dino films :)

Fits the theme nicely and in no doubt about the subject! Those models are very realistic for sure.

The roundness makes me think Jurassic World.

I like the composition a lot, but the bottom jaw of the skull showing through the Dimetrodon's(?) fin draws my eye a little.

Thanks for the comments guys, as always much appreciated. I definitely agree with the comment about the skeleton jaw being a bit too eye catching on the Spinosaurus (according to my son) fin, I have similar reservations about the rib cage as well (I didn’t really notice them when I posted the image but now can’t unsee them :ROFLMAO: ).
Thanks again. James :)

Yes, the bottom jaw, now you mention it, is odd. And I can see the ribs now. What fun!

I thought about doing Jurassic park but we have got rid of all our kids dinosaur toys now they are a bit older so had to scrap the idea. I found the ribs a bit distracting as it took me a while to see the skeleton and wasn't sure what was strange about the grass, otherwise I like it.

Film title
I didn't realise it was a rib cage and took it as a glitch type effect that could be present viewing the dinosaurs at distance. The skull is massive compared to the dinosaurs,

Week 8 - Half.....or as a bit of a shoehorn "cutting in half". I must admit I hadn't set out with this in mind but the idea just sort of popped in to my head whilst I was dissecting something :)
Some of the highlights are a bit errr...hot but getting the exposure right was a bit of a challenge due to the nature of the setup (as was setting the self timer on the camera, running to the torch, lighting it and finally getting cutting) :ROFLMAO:
Thanks for looking. James :)

Cutting in half? by James, on Flickr

I think you've done well balancing the high and low lights in this picture and it looks even better full-size on Flickr. Good job.

That looks absolutely fine to me, the lighting is pretty much bang on. I like the way youve caught the motion of the sparks, Yes, it's a bit of a shoehorn, but who cares it's a nice industrial 'action' shot.

Yep - that's a superb shot! Lighting is spot on.

A good exposure. My eye is drawn to the bits 'n pieces in BG, that add interest to the main subject.

Back