Hahnemühle Photo Rag Metallic

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
Just had Alex at On-Line Paper send me a sheet of this through today. It was a Photokina release that I was actually interested in (how sad am I?)

At an eye watering £55/box of 25 it's the most expensive paper I've ever printed on.

And it's fab. And I so wish it wasn't.

My current pearl/lustre papers are Canson's Platine Fibre Rag and Museo's Silver Rag (no longer available in the UK and I'm running out). And even though it's 50% more expensive than them, I'm still very seriously considering a box. The texture, feel & weight is very similar to the Canson paper and/or Hahnemühle's Photo Rag Baryta but the metallic sheen to the image really lifts the image off the paper. It's like nothing I've used before. Moab's Slickrock Metallic Silver is basically plastic compared to it. All the other metallic papers I've tried were just crappy gloss. I can't wait to print out my MF IR work at 13x19. But I suspect Santa will have to visit first...

Anyone else thinking of trying this? Or has tried it?

Or am I the only one with PAS as well as GAS?

saw this on the Fotospeed newsletter and thought ‘ooh that looks nice’ so I went off to their site to buy a box. I then saw the price and immediately lost interest.

I'll send you a sheet if you like when I have saved up my pennies. :)

Well if you're interested in knowing a bit more, I did a longer write up on my blog here.

It's a bit dull if you're not interested in paper though.

Great read thank you. I've not tried very many papers yet, but that is expensive!

I have a few test packs which I am working my way through, but I often feel I want to print different types of image on the same paper to see if one works better than another. Canon Pro Luster and Permajet Smooth Pearl are my go to's at the moment, apart from my test packs.

I quite fancied trying the Permajet Titanium Lustre for black and white images, but not sure I want 25 sheets of it. https://www.wexphotovideo.com/permajet-titanium-lustre-280-a4-25-sheets-1575497/

Thanks for sharing

I often feel I want to print different types of image on the same paper to see if one works better than another.

I'm the same. Which is why I always tend to run a test image through the printer that has everything in it. This one (Northlight Images) is the one I use - it's about halfway down that page. I tend to run the colour one through.

I think different types of images definitely suit different papers. It's probably the reason I have so many boxes of the stuff! Sepia looks good on German Etching, Olmec's Photo Metallic Lustre has an *amazing* finish and is cheap as chips but feels like a plastic raincoat - I use it for contact sheets and cheapo giveaways. Metallic papers suit my colour IR work and I'm looking for something decent to present B&W IR.

It's a whole area of photography that's opened up to me. And it's about taking my images from start to finish. I don't think I'll ever be able to use DSCL again.

Damn work that matters.... /grumble

That site looks very useful - Northlight Images. I downloaded a test image from Jose Rodriguez's Facebook page, but I only used it when I first set the printer up, and it only had a greyscale at the bottom not as part of the picture. I guess I should be a bit more disciplined about it and use the same image each time, instead of one I think might work on that paper. It's all a bit random at the moment!

I find it so satisfying printing my photos and as you say, there is the feeling of completing what you set out to do. I doubt it's any cheaper doing it yourself but I really enjoy it.

Northlight is a fab resource.

And...

I doubt it's any cheaper doing it yourself

No. I don't think it is. I really enjoy it too. From capture to print.

Got some sample sheets from Hahnemühle last week, just need to get a print test done.

Luckily we get a good trade discount, so if it's a keeper it's not too expensive as my usual choice is Museum Etching!

Back