Critique Hamburg Zoo

Name
Tom
Edit My Images
Yes
Second outing with the 70-200mm F/4. Slowly getting to grips with it. Constructive criticism and comments welcome. I'm shooting hand held, but I'm seriously considering a monopod to improve stability. A tripod would be too big for me to carry in most situations.

IMG_1564 by tom_499, on Flickr

Second try at capturing my favourite animal. The image isn't too dark like last time, but to me it doesn't look sharp enough?

IMG_1699 by tom_499, on Flickr

Had to use the manual focus as the auto kept locking onto the leaves. Half feel the leaves give is a nice natural feel, but the other half thinks it ruins a nice sharp image.

IMG_1548 by tom_499, on Flickr

This Hare sat completely still so the was plenty of time to get the settings right. It's not a very interesting image, and I still think the focus on the face is abit soft.

IMG_1578 by tom_499, on Flickr

Another one sitting patiently. I think this one is also abit soft on the nose (focus).

IMG_1741 by tom_499, on Flickr

I really enjoy the challenge of photographing aquariums. It's a shame the background in this one is so similiar in colour to the fish, as I think the focus and light of this is pretty good.

I'm seriously considering a monopod to improve stability.
Yes but… ever thought of bumping up the ISO?
The image isn't too dark like last time, but to me it doesn't look sharp enough?
If you shoot in lower lights conditions, showing the SS
or opening the aperture may not always be the right
options. Again, the ISO.
the auto kept locking onto the leaves
A good strategy here is using BBF.
still think the focus on the face is abit soft.
Yes, the DoF is a tad shallow and the focus is not on the eye!
this one is also abit soft on the nose (focus).
I would need to peek at the RAW to comment on this one.
It's a shame the background in this one is so similiar in colour to the fish
You could solve this with a WB tweak on an local adjustment layer.

Tom, when you link to a flickr image, select a smaller size (800 max length perhaps) as these images are compressed versions of the full size which makes them look softer than they are.

Thank you for the feedback.

I found that the image quality went down when I go above 400 to 800 ISO, but I will continue playing around with that.

BBF is new to me, thanks for the tip.

DOF is increased by the F/ stop right? I do also struggle to check the sharpness of photos on my camera.

I've never used photoshop, but I will look at getting it.

Thanks for the tip Nick.

Thank you for the feedback.

I found that the image quality went down when I go above 400 to 800 ISO, but I will continue playing around with that.

BBF is new to me, thanks for the tip.

DOF is increased by the F/ stop right? I do also struggle to check the sharpness of photos on my camera.

I've never used photoshop, but I will look at getting it.

Thanks for the tip Nick.

I agree with the feedback that has been given already - but to answer your question, yes DOF would increase the highter the F/Stop number is, but this will also mean a slower shutter speed would be required to achieve the same exposure. I don't actually think there is an issue with the DOF on the hare shot - it is just that the focus is not on the eye.

Back