Hamerton - Young Serval

Name
Fi
Edit My Images
Yes
Lovely day at Hamerton to start our bank holiday weekend - I just love their variety of species that you don't see elsewhere (our main reason for the visit was to see the new wombats and tiger quoll!). They have some very active young Serval atm and it was lovely watching mum school them in some hunting techniques. C&C is always welcome - I'm not sure my processing of these is as good as it could be so any tips gratefully received :)

Hamerton_20180824_131429 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Hamerton_20180824_131512 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Hamerton_20180824_131732 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Hamerton_20180824_131802 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Hamerton_20180824_131851 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Hamerton_20180824_132021 by Daysleeper40, on Flickr

Thanks for looking :)

They are great fun aren't they Fi? nice set.
Really not a lot to add save #2 looks a tad blue on my screen ..

Does this look any better?

Fi.jpg

Last edited:
They are great fun aren't they Fi? nice set.
Really not a lot to add save #2 looks a tad blue on my screen ..

Does this look any better?

Yes - it does. Thank you!

White balance is one of my (many) weaknesses! I can clearly see it now you've pointed it out but obv not when processing them.

Fi - I know you are a Nikon shooter,,,if you dont shoot RAW, then I was recommended by a Nikon Pro (Simon Stafford) to shoot 55/5600k instead of AWB.... This is what I now shoot daily, but as I shoot RAW its not hen end of the world...

White balance is one of my (many) weaknesses!
I assume the controls on Nikon are the same / similar to Canon. I really wouldn't have a clue TBH.

Canon is prone to coming out "cold" on auto W/B. I just use the "Cloudy" function under all conditions.
That sorts it 99% of the time.
HTH?

Fi - I know you are a Nikon shooter,,,if you dont shoot RAW, then I was recommended by a Nikon Pro (Simon Stafford) to shoot 55/5600k instead of AWB.... This is what I now shoot daily, but as I shoot RAW its not hen end of the world...

I assume the controls on Nikon are the same / similar to Canon. I really wouldn't have a clue TBH.

Canon is prone to coming out "cold" on auto W/B. I just use the "Cloudy" function under all conditions.
That sorts it 99% of the time.
HTH?

Thanks both - I do shoot RAW and tbh I've never tried very hard to change any WB settings in camera, thinking I could sort it in PP. Only trouble is I struggle to correct it in PP too. It is definitely something I need to work on and experiment with.

If you shoot RAW and use LR, its as easy as can be, but very very rarley do I ever change WB - maybe warm it up a tad on occasion is all.....
Also, really worth getting your monitor calibrated - this made THE biggest difference to making my output look right....

Spyder calibrator or similar isnt expensive in this hobbies terms......

If you shoot RAW and use LR, its as easy as can be, but very very rarley do I ever change WB - maybe warm it up a tad on occasion is all.....
Also, really worth getting your monitor calibrated - this made THE biggest difference to making my output look right....

Spyder calibrator or similar isnt expensive in this hobbies terms......

That's a good point - we've recently bought a new computer / monitor so now would be a good time to do it too.

Back