Hamerton's Zoo - Keeper killed in Tiger Enclosure

Very sad especially as all zoos have very careful protocols in place in regard to enclosure "access".

PS yes, been there a few years back on a wildlife photographer day.

Been following the story for the last couple of hours and am quite shocked by this. Very sad.

I've also been there. Nice little zoo.
You can bet your bottom dollar the poor tiger won't come out a winner.

Very sad for everyone concerned, they have named her now,a long time keeper who loved her job

Will be good to find out how it happened to enable prevention measures to be put into place.

Poor lady, she obviously loved working there with the animals, what a terrible tragedy that this happened. I feel grateful the animal has not been pts, as what would this achieve but two lives lost - and I'd bet anything the keeper would have said to save the animal.

Poor family, and if anyone witnesses the event, that must be pretty awful too :sorry:

In the news the police are not taking any further action.

I surmise the H&SE will be working closely with the zoo to analyse what went wrong and if "local" to that zoo no doubt structural changes will be made and if wider implications the zoo community will have make both procedural and possibly structural ones.

In common with incidents & accidents in 'industry' lessons, I hope, will be learned.

As commented above, I am happy that the tiger was not seen as culpable and destroyed. Its continued survival & gene pool contribution must be maintained.

Will be good to find out how it happened to enable prevention measures to be put into place.

I saw a video online of a big cat attacking and they used a fire extinguisher which worked and the cat backed off immediately. Not sure if it would be harmful but if not then it would seem like a very good device to have at hand. Cheap, fast and readily available.

I saw a video online of a big cat attacking and they used a fire extinguisher which worked and the cat backed off immediately. Not sure if it would be harmful but if not then it would seem like a very good device to have at hand. Cheap, fast and readily available.

I would suspect that would be a CO2 type ~ loud & distracting! I doubt it would cause physical harm but by inference used only as last resort so non physical effects would be almost zero.

It remains to be seen how much info comes into the public domain about this incident?

Last edited:
Confirmation on the news today that they won't be destroying the tiger, the family agree with the decision.
Other rumours are that it was one of the Malayan Tigers, having seen one of these , I must admit I was pleased there
was a strong fence between us, look of pure evil it was giving me

Yeah, the decision not to put the tiger down was posted on facebook yesterday, which attracted more abuse for considering it.

If it's CO2, then it wouldn't of harmed the tiger... Might have knocked it out if it breathed enough of it in..

When I worked in dog kennels, we used a CO2 fire extinguisher on a staffi, who was attacking another dog in our car park...

Very effective, knocked the dog out as it took it's breath away, the dog came around several minutes later calm as a cucumber!

Other rumours are that it was one of the Malayan Tigers, having seen one of these , I must admit I was pleased there
was a strong fence between us, look of pure evil it was giving me
The zoo have now revealed it was Cicip, which is the male you would have seen at RARE.

The zoo have now revealed it was Cicip, which is the male you would have seen at RARE.

where is that ?
Actually it was a female giving me evil looks :(
Male was shut in at the time as they weren't getting on

The now closed Rare Species Conservation Centre in Kent, which is where Hammerton obtained their Malayan Tigers.

Yep that's the place, if I remember rightly the male had just arrived as a replacement to the previous one that she didn't much like either,
so they were separated most of the time, is Hammerton doing any better with them ?

Yep that's the place, if I remember rightly the male had just arrived as a replacement to the previous one that she didn't much like either,
so they were separated most of the time, is Hammerton doing any better with them ?
Not as far as I've read, although they occasionally rub against each other through the fence.

Back