Handball

Name
Kris
Edit My Images
Yes
My son (6y) is now playing handball. And I wanted some usefully tips for shooting this sport those kids are not that organised on the field witch makes it not to easy. I will also try to shoot their male adult team where it will go a lot faster. I don't know the sport from the inside what I usually find easier to anticipate

Hey..
Handball is a lovely sport to cover.. never managed to get to a game in the UK.. but have done few games here and there.

For lens selection - 24-70 or 70-200 are good ways to go.

Depending on the venue... best sport for placing yourself to capture the action... it would be in the corners on the end line.
And as always with sports... keep yourself as low as possible.. so sitting on the lovely cold floor :-(
That way you are less likely to be hit by a stray ball.. and get a good view of the attacking team face on.

From this position you should also be able to snap pictures of the far end, and the goalie making them great saves :)

At your end - there is of course the timing to capture the image when the forward jumps and has his both feet in the air, and the defenders trying to grab him.
I like to go for these both a bit close up.. and then also bit wider, so that you get the keepers back into the image.. so you have the feel of the forward really going for the shot on goal.

The easiest direction to capture the action would be with the players coming to the top of the D - or then across the defensive zone from the corner you are sitting down on.
That way you have the best view - and as the defenders are not staying in the defensive (goalkeepers) area.. you won't have players blocking your line of sight.

I do also like to keep an eye on the forwards as they move the ball from player to the next... sometimes this gives really nice 'unexpected' images that are definite keepers!

Most the good action once the ball is over the halfway line.. but if you are taking pics of the junior teams.. it might be worth just snapping players as they bring up the ball.
That is if you are then sharing the images.. I am sure they love to see themselves in as many pics as possible.

Sometimes it's also nice to move about 2 meters along the sideline - just to get a bit of a different view of the action. From this position - you do get few players in front of you at times...

Back