Hangman Tree

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
One for halloween!

I had intended to shoot this tree once the right conditions arrived but was hoping to include my daughter under the tree in an old fashioned dress for a halloween entry into a weekly comp. Well unfortunately as there are now 2 bulls in the field I couldn't risk taking my daughter so just shot the tree as is. There were a few crows perched so did several shots with a faster shutter while clapping, hoping to get a few flying off the tree.

Hangmans Tree by Neil Burnell, on Flickr

Last edited:
Very nice Neil, great comp', spot on exposure, with a very nice bit of mono PP work.(y)

George.

Excellent as always, your output is consistent and I always know what I'm going to get and always enjoy it.

And as Stu says, the lead in with the hedge works really well. Despite being a commonly recommended composition techniqueI I find it rarely works well in practice, I think it's the negative space created by the rest of the image that makes it work here.

Last edited:
Very nice, and creepy :eek:

Very nice Neil. Well processed as some nice conditions to catch a very eerie and atmospheric image

Very good and I like the lead in from the hedge

Very nice Neil, great comp', spot on exposure, with a very nice bit of mono PP work.(y)

George.

Excellent as always, your output is consistent and I always know what I'm going to get and always enjoy it.

And as Stu says, the lead in with the hedge works really well. Despite being a commonly recommended composition techniqueI I find it rarely works well in practice, I think it's the negative space created by the rest of the image that makes it work here.

The crow really makes a lot of difference. In a good way!

That's very creepy! I can almost feel those bulls watching me from somewhere in the gloom. I wouldn't have gone in there either!

That's the best image I've seen on TP for ages

Very nice, and creepy :eek:

Fantastic capture Neil and good decision not to risk plan A epsecially with the bulls in their, bird has worked a treat great use of shutter speed.

Smashing work Neil, choice of comp and process is excellent as per. I've nearly been a victim of bulls in fields recently, smart decision!

Thanks for all the kind comments :)

The hedge is actually a stream/marsh and I assume that is what has killed the 2 trees on the same line as it. It was so foggy i actually didn't notice the bulls were there at first and the were just behind the tree (cloned out).

Another cracker Neil, was going to ask if the rope was a prop clearly not. This is just dripping with atmosphere, talk about telling a story!
Extremely well exposed too, not misty enough to loose the detail in the trunk either, like the big slash through the bark too, not to mention the lead in ... looks like a ditch by the fauna. Beautifully shot!
Still a Court Martial offence to tie a hangman's knot in the Navy BTW;)

Another cracker Neil, was going to ask if the rope was a prop clearly not. This is just dripping with atmosphere, talk about telling a story!
Extremely well exposed too, not misty enough to loose the detail in the trunk either, like the big slash through the bark too, not to mention the lead in ... looks like a ditch by the fauna. Beautifully shot!
Still a Court Martial offence to tie a hangman's knot in the Navy BTW;)
Cheers Steve, I cloned some of the rope out as looked a bit messy, I would imagine it was a swing and the tree was climbed by the farm owners children at some point or another as there are a few slats of weed nailed to the trunk for climbing up.

Back