Happy Carl Sagan Day!

Ricardodaforce

Self requested ban
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
Happy Carl Sagan Day!

On the day that would have been Dr Sagan's 80th birthday, I am so pleased to see that the BBC will be repeating his landmark 1980 series Cosmos: A Personal Voyage, starting tonight at 10:00 on BBC4.

If you have never seen it I cannot recommend it enough.

A great series. I think it used to be on around Sunday lunch time in the 1980s.

Steve.

Cosmos is an immense series :)

Cosmos is an immense series :)

Which is why I'm pleased a new generation can discover it. Without doubt Carl Sagan was the greatest science educator or all time, and this series has yet to be bested. Such grand scope, cosmology, history, physics, biology, chemistry all presented in the best possible way. I watch it every year, and it is as marvelous now as it was 34 years ago.

Set it to record on sky+ just in case i'm out, it won't let me series link it though for some reason.

His would be 80th on my 40th today! :) Thanks for the heads-up on Cosmos!

Thank you. I thought I would have something inspirational to say on a day like this but I am a mere speck in this exciting universe, and continue to be in awe of everything around me!

Thank you. I thought I would have something inspirational to say on a day like this but I am a mere speck in this exciting universe, and continue to be in awe of everything around me!

:agree:

Professor Brian Cox said on BBCR2 The universe was like a Love Letter to human kind, I wonder what he meant by that description of the Cosmos? From a personal point of view I agree with Mr Cox on this description - I also find some perspective when I look at this, I fear though its out of date after newer discoveries - never the less have a look at this

900kmh for 1100 years for one journey around it.......:eek:

This is what the word Awesome should be used for - not for much else! maybe for birth of new life!

Now I do feel like a spec of dust!

And a single grain of sand has more atoms than there are stars in the Universe.
Unfortunately that turns out not to be the case. Obviously estimating numbers like this is horribly difficult and imprecise, but the number of atoms in a grain of sand is around 10^18 to 10^20, and the number of stars in the universe is around 10^22 to 10^24.

Unfortunately that turns out not to be the case. Obviously estimating numbers like this is horribly difficult and imprecise, but the number of atoms in a grain of sand is around 10^18 to 10^20, and the number of stars in the universe is around 10^22 to 10^24.

I should have said, give or take the odd trillion :confused:

I should have said, give or take the odd trillion :confused:
It's funny (but when you think about it, perhaps not very surprising) how we don't even have language to express numbers like this very well.

Stars in the universe (say 10^23):

Atoms in a grain of sand (say 10^19):

Give or take the odd trillion:

The second season of Neil Tyson’s reboot of Cosmos starts next month.

Back