Critique Harbour Sunset and Anchors

Love the colours in the first image Paul. As you say the second works but the colour HDR? Spoils it for me. Sure someone will help with the issue with the blue cast.

Hi Paul
Nice pair you have there! Just needs some fettling.
I am sure you will find lots of ways (there always is) of dealing with the cast. If your shooting RAW then its should be quite easy to fix. Taking No2 in this case looks like the edge of the grad is running along the break line of the shingle bank down to the beach huts. You can easily see the parts of the beach huts that should be white are not, but the anchors look correct. Personally as a quick fix here I would use the graduated filter tool in LR pull it down exactly over the grad in the shot. then at the top of the grad filter toolbox you will see the temperature slider if you start adding more yellow you will see that your cast will start to disappear. BTW the horizon is a little squiffy too;)
If your shooting RAW its a little easier to correct. However you can, if your correcting the WB (White Balance) globally across the whole picture, have a quick flick through the WB pre-sets menu and select different options to see if it gives you a better starting point (less cast). Those pre-sets wont appear on a JPG image. But you could also pick the Custom option if using JPG and add some yellow with the temp sliders. Another option is to use the white balance selector eye dropper, click on this and as you run over the image with the cursor you will get a 5 x 5 grid, of the RGB values of that pixel your cursor is resting on, at the bottom of the grid box you get the RGB values when you run the cursor over a neutral area the RGB value will be equal (all 3 values the same) when they are, click on that pixel and it will correct the white balance across the whole image.
Hope this helps

Last edited:
Hi Thank you for your suggestions. As you correctly state the hard grad does run along the shingle line.

I had already corrected the cast on the Anchor but was not sure how to do it as well on the sky. I will give this a go. I did play with the WB but this would affect the whole picture. The cast is only on the top part of the picture that was covered by the ND filter. Changing the WB than made the bottom part of the picture wrong. I will go back and try a grad filter change in lightroom.

Oh and tweak the horizon a little. lol

The first is a rather lovely sunset, but the 50/50 placement of the horizon spoils it a bit for me.

Edit.....Quite a few sensor spots too. Easily removed :)

Last edited:
Back