Hardwick Rose

Name
Mike
Edit My Images
Yes
Having seen the great flower pictures on here and in a couple of the Facebook groups I visit, I packed a macro lens and took myself off to Hardwick Hall in Derbyshire to give flower photography a try. Much tougher than I thought, especially on the old knees and getting a decent focus with a wide open shutter on a windy day is far from easy. The depth of field on the f2.8 lens I tried was so fine, the slightest of breezes took the flowers out of focus.

Although I'm not a great flower lover, I did enjoy my visit to the Hardwick gardens and I'll certainly have another try, prefferably on a far less windy day.

Hardwick Rose by Mike Swain, on Flickr

I like the shot Mike, the colour of the flower really stands out against the background

I've just looked at this shot again on my tablet instead of my phone and it looks even better. Really nice work Mike

Thanks Craig, really appreciated.

I think before I do any more flower photography I have three options, ask the Doctor for a new pair of knees, look for some taller flowers where I don't need to crouch down or look for a camera with a screen that tilts. Not sure which is the easiest.

I'd go for taller flowers, prob the easiest solution :)

A large plastic carrier bag is handy to fold up and put in your jacket pocket to use as a kneeling mat when required, keeps your knees dry and the grass stains off your trousers. Handy if you buy something in the gift shop too when visiting tourist attractions, or to put that bottle of wine or beers from the local shop in on the way home! :D

Back