Hare at full speed

Name
Dave
Edit My Images
Yes
Had a week off work and spent it in Lincolnshire and North Norfolk looking for boxing Hares :)

The weather was a bit disappointing, but I managed some trips out and had good light on a few early mornings and one evening.

The frisky Hares stayed at distance and too far away for a decent shot - still managed to capture a few shots of the Hares doing what Hares do.

This one saw me and decided that it would rather run away than come and say hello :) Luckily it was on the evening when I got good sunlight and not long before sunset.

Zoom! by Dave Semmens, on Flickr

Dave.

Nice one, clean, crisp and sharp (y)

I do like it though a little like getting panning shots of motorsports I wish there was more hint/indication of 'movement'.

Cracking shot mate, well captured. Love the water droplets being flicked up by its feet (y)

You rascal:D,now that's one you have been after a goodly while:cool: beautifully done Davey. no nits love it!!!!!! also know how damn hard that is mate i've never even got near to full bore with hares. Did you get any boxing shots mate?

We have asked for permission at on of our little spots,where we usually shoot from the road,we had 15 on sunday split either side of a hedge and they were there slightly lesser number the week before,just waiting for a hopeful reply now mate ha in this case I will just hole up and wait so hope we get a chance at them. It's kicking here mate,but nothing seems around at home sadly

A complete belter Dave well done you

Stu

You rascal:D,now that's one you have been after a goodly while:cool: beautifully done Davey. no nits love it!!!!!! also know how damn hard that is mate i've never even got near to full bore with hares. Did you get any boxing shots mate?

We have asked for permission at on of our little spots,where we usually shoot from the road,we had 15 on sunday split either side of a hedge and they were there slightly lesser number the week before,just waiting for a hopeful reply now mate ha in this case I will just hole up and wait so hope we get a chance at them. It's kicking here mate,but nothing seems around at home sadly

A complete belter Dave well done you

Stu

Thanks Stu - These Hares will be the end of me and I know you have a real passion for them as well :)

Seen some boxing but too far away for a shot - just need to keep at it and I am sure the reward will be there.

Hope your plans work out and you get the shots you are after - you have put the graft in and deserve some reward :)

Mate somebody mentioned Norfolk to me recently for hare ,what kind of numbers did you see? hope this isn't a derail mate i've honestly never seen that big a congregation before nothing like it actually around 6 being the max, So i'm very curious as to their abundance you saw and numbers actually getting together. It's like a wild dewr rut I guess Dave one of those special times in our UK calender for me. I think they'll be the end of me too mate either that or deer or an Owl gotta love 'em though .

Dave I'm really thrilled you got this,it's one of those hare shots I'd love to nail one day myself.It really does feel like the most tricky...the most demanding.... of the ability of a given guy with a camera. They turn so fast mate the speed breathtaking,my best chance they were too close,when it kicked I knew he was going, Dave was completely on him the then gone nothing didn't see either in the viewfinder,left me for dead mate so funny:D. Dave is this full frame?

Cheers for the words buddy we'll see,always luck involved Dave bit o light not grey would be cool huh,more than anythng I need light when not grafting please. shame for your hols though bro ,
ha ha don't we all;)
cool to see another of your hare images Davey
beaut too

stu

Thanks for the kind words Stu - Norfolk was good for Hares and I had around 10 to 15 in sight at some points (in groups of 3. or 4), but the fields are large and the Hares are normally at distance. Best option I found was to find a good concealed position with a good view and light from behind and wind into my face if possible.

Then wait - the Hares can be on the horizon one minute then within 20 yards the next - they move so quickly.

The main problem is the sound of the shutter - you have to wait for the shot and stand a chance of getting nothing. Once the shutter goes all hell breaks loose and you have to try and predict the direction it will run :)

I loved the anticipation, seeing the Hares chasing each other then heading my way. This is what wildlife photography is all about for me and it stands apart from the other photography I do because of those heart stopping moments.

The shot is cropped - I could not wait for it to get any closer as I got too giddy ;) it is also easier to follow a running Hare at a bit more distance rather than close. If you let them get too close they will react by running away from you and that does not give a good shot - a bit of distance gives the chance of them running parallel and offering a better shot.

Back