Hare

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Another frame from my fairydust :LOL: sunday, so many chances,unreal !! Lol I flattened my battery, ok sure I came home and calibrated it, but I never flatten a battery:LOL: The fairy dust comes in when the batt dies after you have your last frame....wildlife doesn't normally work that way

i'm very lucky I have a little place where there is a good population of brown hare. I've been bothering them quietly for a while now,, a few years,maybe that makes life a tad easier for me who knows) C 19 has prevented my visits to this little haven so I guess my motivation for a piccy were pretty strong jees I'm still battered from the physicality of it but what a blast

.Anyway.................. the quest was for hares on sunday and now We can go back to that little place We. parked up sat at the base of a hill where they could see us from a couple or 3 hundred yards.....,made cup of char gave them time.

Then basically picked up gear and very very slowly crawled out to them, or there abouts.:banghead:......................One doesn't really crawl up to hares in full view, it's more I got this far help me out I'm clattered :)

We move too fast,if you really give animals time to adjust to you and slow right down it's bewildering what you see

I put the 2 X extiii on because I wanted to reassess IQ with it .so this is a crop from landscape but retaining height at 800mm cause the ruddy hare was circling me too close............... made rolling around on my back like some poor lad having a fit...dressed as a tree:)

Tis made around half 4 pm bright 'n' cloudy light levels constantly varying 1/3200 f8 ISO 3200 crit welcome 1DXii 2Xextii 400 f4 DO IS ii

_S2I8764 Hare smj tdn by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Ha so much fun and so bloody brutal.

cheers for looking

stu

Good story, good picture. Possibly get rid of the bright background top right.

Is the fast shutter speed necessary ?

I wondered if the area of sky might get picked up Bren,personally I quite like that but I am aware it's not to everyones taste:) Fair comment mate (y) I make a fair few hare piccies Bren many with just a green mush BKG,frankly I like to ring the changes a bit.

Shutter speed,hmmm:LOL:......................... first up I am hand holding 800mm...then .. considering how difficult it is to track a circling hare off elbows, ( and worse as I had to roll on to my back as the hare had gone right around me)) probably yes,but it isn't really deliberate. Bren light levels were up and down,so I chose the ISO and stayed wide open and was running the shutter speed up and down to keep the exp somewhere about right.

I do favour faster SS, I guess it's how I've been taught. ....................... but I don't think I've really honed my techs yet mate, very much still learning. But to me I'd much rather be shooting at fast SS's as if the image isn't sharp one is sort of scuppered

Good question though , thought provoking Does the image look sharp to you ? Do you think the ISO 3200 has harmed the IQ? I guess your own personal take on those two questions gives a reason to change techs. or not to?

I will stress that the DXii is incredible at higher ISO, which sort of gives me freedom to push that for higher SS

Does that help mate?

thanks for the reply

cheers H

take care both

Great to see you back out and about agin Stu, hope you and Shaz are doing well

Lovely shot, well worth the crawl.

In an ideal world, I think ISO 1600 and 1/1600th would have been better - but only slightly. Then again, it wasn't me shaking after crawling about, and its important that the shot is sharp to being with. The only reason really for the lower ISO is there is some noise in the BG, but that can be fixed easily in post. You got the frame sharp and that's what really counts.

Personally, for me, 3 little tweaks to finish it off - I know you like the sky top right, but for me its a distraction - horses for courses though

The eye could do with being just a little sharpening - keep it subtle - and some noise reduction to the BG, and bingo!

Great low frame, perfect head angle, nice amount of mush at the bottom - I really envy you having (and making the most of) these opportunities!

Mike

Hi Stu, I'm not comfortable with the crop. I think either include more room for the virtual feet or crop higher. Everything else looks spot on to me.

I wondered if the area of sky might get picked up Bren,personally I quite like that but I am aware it's not to everyones taste:) Fair comment mate (y) I make a fair few hare piccies Bren many with just a green mush BKG,frankly I like to ring the changes a bit.

Shutter speed,hmmm:LOL:......................... first up I am hand holding 800mm...then .. considering how difficult it is to track a circling hare off elbows, ( and worse as I had to roll on to my back as the hare had gone right around me)) probably yes,but it isn't really deliberate. Bren light levels were up and down,so I chose the ISO and stayed wide open and was running the shutter speed up and down to keep the exp somewhere about right.

I do favour faster SS, I guess it's how I've been taught. ....................... but I don't think I've really honed my techs yet mate, very much still learning. But to me I'd much rather be shooting at fast SS's as if the image isn't sharp one is sort of scuppered

Good question though , thought provoking Does the image look sharp to you ? Do you think the ISO 3200 has harmed the IQ? I guess your own personal take on those two questions gives a reason to change techs. or not to?

I will stress that the DXii is incredible at higher ISO, which sort of gives me freedom to push that for higher SS

Does that help mate?

thanks for the reply

cheers H

take care both

Thanks for the detailed response.

I am viewing on on iPad so difficult to comment on the quality, but it certainly looks sharp.

ISO 3200 is pushing it on my camera. I shoot birds, in flight and static. For static, if birds are ever really static, I try to minimise shutter speed depending on the lens I am using and hope the IS works. Most of the time it does. Perhaps I’ll try faster speeds in future.

All the best.

Steve.

Very nice Stu, I'd be chuffed to bits if I'd taken that! Personally I don't mind the bit of sky top right, would apply NR to the background and would like a little more room at the bottom but that really is nit-picking :)

Steve as I say i'm not honed on my techs, I'd much rather you listen to folks like Mike or Des. They are simply more skilled and they teach me so much :)

Mike's post says where I should probably be. tech wise Maybe I'm playing safe TBF I'm all over the place I should have 400mm in my hand not 8 just for starters:LOL:

Steve we all look at images in a different way..different critical eye different creative eye....... we are all different:)

Change to a faster shutter speed because you are unhappy with something. you see in your world The problem with wildlife is the times when things don't quite work are oft never repeated and it's those images we would all love to make but bar creative blur we almost demand sharp how we all see that who knows :LOL:. .

Hi Stu, I'm not comfortable with the crop. I think either include more room for the virtual feet or crop higher. Everything else looks spot on to me.

cool................... I'll try higher Des, I'm not really happy either buddy sort of thank ful some of the right end was in frame. though, :D

Great to see you back out and about agin Stu, hope you and Shaz are doing well

Lovely shot, well worth the crawl.

In an ideal world, I think ISO 1600 and 1/1600th would have been better - but only slightly. Then again, it wasn't me shaking after crawling about, and its important that the shot is sharp to being with. The only reason really for the lower ISO is there is some noise in the BG, but that can be fixed easily in post. You got the frame sharp and that's what really counts.

Personally, for me, 3 little tweaks to finish it off - I know you like the sky top right, but for me its a distraction - horses for courses though

The eye could do with being just a little sharpening - keep it subtle - and some noise reduction to the BG, and bingo!

Great low frame, perfect head angle, nice amount of mush at the bottom - I really envy you having (and making the most of) these opportunities!

Mike

Were's ok bro same to you and yours(y) I am lucky Mike I do understand that it's my second visit for so many months now .................. and I flatten a battery on hares and deer some folks have never seen a hare....... yup very lucky

Magical day Mike, won't see the like of that agaiin in a while !! , mind I had a proper bee in my bonnet:ROFLMAO: talk about hungry Id have gone a long way for a hare pic, hmmm did that :banghead: if I get a mo can I bother you with something an image or maybe two?

Think the crit is spot on Mike I really want the frame shot in portrait maybe a gnats more DOF? But it was a tough ol sequence to track in landscape let alone portrait, even ambling they still cover alot of ground very fast.

Nice to get out with them again

I am not a fan of the Blue in the corner , sorry Stu . For me if your going to see the sky I like to see a lot of it . I think we chatted a bout your hi iso`s and shutter speeds in the past , my cameras don`t perform so well at hi iso settings , so I strive to keep my iso speed low whilst trying to keep a fast enough shutter speed to freeze the subjects , I shoot at much lower speeds than you generally , though I have lost a lot of images by being to slow with the shutter speeds , I think Denoise AI is going to be a help for me in the future as I wont be so shy about upping the iso . It all looks sharp to me , and I could live with the noise if were mine , and the light is very nice on the Hare . I am quite envious of you getting out , though I hope I to get out soon . ;)

Were's ok bro same to you and yours(y) I am lucky Mike I do understand that it's my second visit for so many months now .................. and I flatten a battery on hares and deer some folks have never seen a hare....... yup very lucky

Magical day Mike, won't see the like of that agaiin in a while !! , mind I had a proper bee in my bonnet:ROFLMAO: talk about hungry Id have gone a long way for a hare pic, hmmm did that :banghead: if I get a mo can I bother you with something an image or maybe two?

Think the crit is spot on Mike I really want the frame shot in portrait maybe a gnats more DOF? But it was a tough ol sequence to track in landscape let alone portrait, even ambling they still cover alot of ground very fast.

Nice to get out with them again

No problem stu, I'll PM my email in case you've not got it anymore

Very nice shot Stu- sky for me is ok - you do need a little NR on the background though buddy :)

I wish I had access to Hares :confused:

Les

Very nice Stu, I'd be chuffed to bits if I'd taken that! Personally I don't mind the bit of sky top right, would apply NR to the background and would like a little more room at the bottom but that really is nit-picking :)

Si sorry mate ran out of steam last night.........nit picking is good mate it helps me (y) :cool: I am really lucky Si having this place and access for at least some of the year, it's an absolute gem...... I get more than my fare share of chances the more chances hopefully means more frames and hopefully means one gets ever more pickier,does that make sense:LOL: So yeah the crit or just nit picking is really helpful to me.

cheers muchly :)

I am not a fan of the Blue in the corner , sorry Stu . For me if your going to see the sky I like to see a lot of it . I think we chatted a bout your hi iso`s and shutter speeds in the past , my cameras don`t perform so well at hi iso settings , so I strive to keep my iso speed low whilst trying to keep a fast enough shutter speed to freeze the subjects , I shoot at much lower speeds than you generally , though I have lost a lot of images by being to slow with the shutter speeds , I think Denoise AI is going to be a help for me in the future as I wont be so shy about upping the iso . It all looks sharp to me , and I could live with the noise if were mine , and the light is very nice on the Hare . I am quite envious of you getting out , though I hope I to get out soon . ;)

Ello buddy thanks for the thoughts no probs on the bit 'o' blue just grateful for the honesty as always .....poor Shaz has been locked in like you for ages bro, ha I grafted like a sod on the bus to make a hole to get a few hours out with her. Funny i'd not really want anyone to be envious of me bro ,but this shoot......hmmm ........it was so good Mark . I hope things do allow you out soon mate.........food for the soul bro !!

Mark at the end of the day I We spent maybe an hour and a half with two roe,buck.ha a little lad tagging along with a big ol dominant buck...little fella was almost copying the adult. i've never managed anything like that with roe Mark.................. couple in everything else we saw it was magical

I'd like to pop something over to you too please if that's ok buddy ?

Yeah we probably have talked about SS, I do favour higher,mind the tools ie the body are so forgiving. It's that though mate that bit about loosing frames when the shutter is too slow that haunts me Mark.

many thanks mate

Very nice shot Stu- sky for me is ok - you do need a little NR on the background though buddy :)

I wish I had access to Hares :confused:

Les

thanks for the thoughts Les....I thought you did have some hares around locally? It's the sheer density of population at this one spot Les,that's what makes it so so special...to my mind all down to the care of a shooting landowner and the gamekeeper. They don't shoot hare ,so there are the benefits of predator control fabulous habitat cover crops etc,well managed woodland all these little things add up Les it's heart warming. :cool:

I did photograph Hares this year Stu. But not local enough to warrant a daily trip buddy.

I have never known either a Keeper or landowner shooting Hare's. A good thing in my book

Les

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark it's on it's way might take a while :)

Nor do personally Les, my feelings are very complex , maybe another day bro,

LMAO i'm torn personally all ways on what';s best for the brown hare could probably waffle half a book on that:LOL:

Nice to see Stu and a very nicely done image, kudos for the effort. I think it's all been covered RE tweaks so I won't add more in that respect.

Very nice.

Thanks DD

Nice to see Stu and a very nicely done image, kudos for the effort. I think it's all been covered RE tweaks so I won't add more in that respect.

Very nice.

cheers bud ha mate I was proper fired up was def gonna come home with a hare pic :love:

Si sorry mate ran out of steam last night.........nit picking is good mate it helps me (y) :cool: I am really lucky Si having this place and access for at least some of the year, it's an absolute gem...... I get more than my fare share of chances the more chances hopefully means more frames and hopefully means one gets ever more pickier,does that make sense:LOL: So yeah the crit or just nit picking is really helpful to me.

cheers muchly :)

Sounds good, unfortunately our local spot for Hares has been pretty quiet over the last couple of years. Need to try and find somewhere with a better population methinks... Have to say, it's just nice to be out and about after the last year or so - If I spot something worth pointing the camera at then all the better! :)

Si I guard hare site info, there are so many that might do them harm, but if you have any game shoots locally that's where I'd search.

Yup just wonderful to get out, I think we had two visits last year, :( So it was almost bewildering to get a day like that at our second attempt

Si I guard hare site info, there are so many that might do them harm, but if you have any game shoots locally that's where I'd search.

Yup just wonderful to get out, I think we had two visits last year, :( So it was almost bewildering to get a day like that at our second attempt

Indeed, there's a ban on photo's of Hares and the like at one of our local reserves due to links to trapping - sad state of affairs really, but if it contributes to keeping them safer...

I'm trying to make the most of it while I can. I'm seeing more this year, but then I'm out more :)

Back