Critique Hares (with updates)

…keeping a low profile, heu! :confused:

Nice pic Stuart. i have only got that close when the hare comes to me but that one looks as though its in its form.

Regen

…keeping a low profile, heu! :confused:
he's actually up a little Daniel,it was great to watch him duck as a cyclist went past,then come back up again,he did that a few times;)
Nice pic Stuart. i have only got that close when the hare comes to me but that one looks as though its in its form.

Regen

Yup I think form too Regan ,but not 100%,I'll show you one getting into a form once I get time though,really cool and funny watching ,the way it was done. She went in almost backwards and turned half a circle all but on back legs.

Mate this fella did get up eventually,and came towards me,I moved a bit and suddenly we were almost eyeballing each other. I posted that here recently( titled something like too close) tis around 3M away I guess at trigger press,and that is probably my closest encounter.

Need some luck this weekend time is running short for the main period of breeding,boxing will be far more sporadic soon,all digits crossed:D

Thanks for the replies both

Stu

Sunset, the joys of inorganic farming.A sort of sad image for me that we treat our planet like this although there is a side to this that is a plus ,in that the farmer actaully left the stubble in place for the winter. But sprays and chemicals are something I feel we should use much less in food production. Anyway, one of my mates, in a slightly sad, to me, pose which is actually part of what a wanted to portray here .Setting a golden hare in a golden, all be it somewhat artificial, field.

_70F7561 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

stu

Better post another then,yes I know feet arrggghhhh

_70F7825 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Cool few days no boxing shots much seen.

Now who else can have their chances killed by first a damn trial bike in the middle of nowhere, and then a ruddy stalker spotted me on his thermal imaging camera and came to see me ,couldn't make it up bloody funny,anyone got any tips on camo for thermal imaging cameras:D?

seeya

stu

Sunset,this is our first image actually taken on site after being given permission by the landowner,bless the keeper for sharing his incredible knowledge. Huge thanks to both parties . It's always cool when they do this,I simply love the height they achieve,to have a real good look at something. The cotswold drystone wall is one of the few man made thangs I really like having in a wildlife image. As someone that stalks a fair bit ,not just a sit and wait guy,they are both my saviour and nemesis:the cover of the wall so useful,but one broken dry willow herb or nettle stem,snapped must sound like a rifle shot to my big eared mates,with the resulting consequences being hare in next county.

_70F7692 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

seeya

Stu

I seem to stumble into wicked situations when the blummin light has just gone,I still have a crack beginner's exhuberence huh,1/100 f5.6 iso 5000 HH standing kinda a big ask of both me and the gear but it's not too bad ,I just loved the pose here almost about to get up on the back legs frame isn't cropped,at this iso I don't really feel I can crop much so left as is

_70F7782 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr
I tried to go for the ring of fire look here,shot into the sun at sunset, but feel I didn'#t do very well. I over exposed because of fears of noise but feel now a better approach might have been to go under in camera and keep the shutter higher. 1/60 f/5.6 iso 2500 any tips here please as to how to be better,i'd be hugely grateful for.
Anywy here a couple that aren't the best but I quite like them both 1/60 f5.6 iso 2500

_70F6912 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F6914 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Many thanks in advance

Stu

This is utterly perplexing and not the biggest leveret we have seen either.But too cute not to share. This little chap was born when? They are meant to be breeding now,the older one who lives a bit away must have been born terribly early this year. Gestation is 42 days according to webland,so I'm more than a bit stumped to find these two guys now.,when the hares are at peak breeding. It's cold and windy up on the wolds sure this place is a bit sheltered, and it's been a mild winter down here,but as you'll see when I post the older they must have mated completely out of season.
Here's cutie coming to check shutter noise while trying to devour a whole 50acre wheat field,bless,Jeepers wasn't he putting the nosh away:eek:

_70F8022 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F8023 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Taken in quite harsh light not the idea place to shoot in the afternoon i've seen this guy playing/chasing with rabbits first time I've ever seen the two species together and also some interaction

seeya

Stu

Really enjoying your images, I'd love to see a hare - let alone photograph one!

Really enjoying your images, I'd love to see a hare - let alone photograph one!
Thank you Maria, very kind I guess it comes over that I have a bit of a fixation with them:D Their faces always change with angle their ears are all ways and legs are far tooo long and those deep amber eyes...... I find them beguiling.

I guess the best way to spot them is getting a good eye for their colour, you get an eye for that colour Maria. I think that is really what I spot first,sure it's the mole hill that might move senario,but that colour is I think the key to spotting them.. There is a famous island on one of the reserves which is meant to be incredible as the hares are really tame,I can't place it at the mo., but I'm brain dead i'll come back sure it begins with H. everyone should be able to see a hare Maria. Trouble is folks like me are very quiet about where they see hares as we fear for them being poached I don't really share any spots as they seem to be having such a hard time nationally. I spoke to a lovely guy that makes films. He was going to go over to Norfolk,I said meh they are here buddy,but you'll have to look hard,We bumped into each other again and he came back with yup you are right they are here. One has to somehow learn what to look for,which is no easy thang when you haven't seen one yet. They have to be around the new forest though mate,drive around lanes overlooking bigger fields that come close to wood edges or copses Maria ,pair of binos helps,but I spot most with the naked eye it's that colour. Locally in some places ,sadly they are now extinct here mate,it's incredibly sad,but I feel most just go unnoticed,they are good at not being seen if they don't want to be ,for such a big animal it's quite something. Early mornings early evening are said to be best activity times,but so far we see then at all times,if there is any form of predation by man though i'd imagine early morns might give you the best chance. Once you find one the rest will follow. as they dooseem to haunt the same spots.
Ahh mate all the luck i'll do a quick search see if I can find that places

thank you

Stu

The two leverets are my favourite, Stu. They are just so adorable at that age.

The two leverets are my favourite, Stu. They are just so adorable at that age.
I know Des:D,throw that little guy in to the mix and pretty much my reasoning goes out of the window they really are beyond cute, But to have bred so early especially for the bigger one last frame posted,is something a bit strange. That last is two times the size of the first ,and not so easily seen as a leveret from my image posted,but when was it born.

Thanks for the reply Des,I must post some more

Happy easter

Stu

Talking of little people........many of these pics are taken at one spot. these last weeks we have been there at every available chance. I'm starting to build a pic of where a little one is living We see two at the move ,pictured above and they are found over and over in simialr spots. Yesterday this ruffian was added to the mix. I am utterly convinced you are looking at a pic of a leveret that is under a week old. I'm convinced we would have seen him last weekend as we spent hours and hours exactly where he lives. He has captivated us both ,utterly hilarious. He's tazzing about all over the places like a complete lunatic,I guess he's just discovered his legs. I watched him chase alarger hare watched him get up to all manner of mischief but all at distance. My darling was resting in the car while I was holed up with an adult. This little tareway came bounding down the track and settled down feeding in front of here. But every now and then he'd just go "off" like a mad thing,almost like a spring lamb. I've seen this before it's utterly hilarious. So I pretty much felt a decnt chance had been missed with him. Later on he did appear again and I got these couple of shots. POV was completely compromised . I.m the other side of a cotswold dry stone wall to him couldn't belwiwve my luck to actually find a gap as I thought at one point it would be impossible . But I couldn't move up down or right and left,just this one angle, Maybe like the others We'll see him again,I do hope so ,he made my day yesterday.
Spellbinding little chap soooo small and not quite completely" clued up" fear wise as yet, being so very young. I'd love to see more and capture more of his antics. I really wasn't expecting kids so early,I suppose we saw boxing six weeks back and more,so it should be expected,but it didn't twig with me that's for sure. Really cool, can't believe how lucky we are to just see this stuff.Boxing might still be on the cards as males are still guarding females,but I feel the peak is over now and probably It'l be back to the drawing board next year.. but these little things will entrall me for a few more weeks ,given the chance.

Images are uncropped as framed 2X extii 300f2.8 Canon 1div. 1/1000,f5.6 iso 2500 processed in DPP4.6.10 Ha ha I asked here about shooting at sunset,over the weekend feeling I might get some chances,shot is taken in the rain, an hour or so before sunset.....couldn't make it up LMAO:D

Seeya,

Oh cheers for all the likes everyone. :)

stu

_70F8355 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F8358 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

I've nicked named the above ruffian Tazz,hmm I'm being utterly taken down by a week old leveret:rolleyes: it's brilliant.:) We have just missed out so many times with him the close detailed stuff is hard won and luck hasn't really been blowing my way. But beyond all that this little guy is plain messing with me and he knows it.

We were watching him above ,who wont be named, dancing about up a track The keeper turned up we had a chat. Bless his nipper, who is now a full fledged birder ,so cool to see must be 4 or 5 years old.... binos, note pad, the lot,:cool:). I had this gut feeling that the little leveret would come back, so sneaked off and crashed in some nettles ,as ya do. Five mins later he had done me again and was now standing yards away, staring at me. I just got the camera up and him in frame and he was off,got something I think.

After all the hours and him now long bolted,I walked back down the bank staring at the back of the camera,trying to see if I'd actually got the little rascal in focus. I'm deaf as a post,so I when I realised my darling who was frantically and madly pointing at me, was try to comunicate,I just simply I waved back" can't hear" pointing at my head .

Where upon my new best mate who was prancing down the blummin track ten yards behind me following me freaked and bolted into the rape .

Life is harsh, out done by a tiny thing ,couldn't make it up:D Man he's a blast, I do hope he makes it oh and one of a couple or 3 frames I quite like.

More to come,I can't keep up, we must have got closeish images of maybe 8 to ten hare and two kids, yesterday in a few hours. The day before we could barely find one, hare We didn't think there would be time to go out yesterday a spur of the moment thing. The light was lovely at times and it was one of the most menorable days we have had. Funny old world, it was effortless, we just stumble from one bit of good fortune into the next
and I got the mick taken by a week old hare :p
pricless

stu

_70F8974 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

great set and story lines
I'm lucky if i see 2 hares a year and never have a camera on me when i do

great set and story lines
I'm lucky if i see 2 hares a year and never have a camera on me when i do
Many thanks
It's a bit sad national decline running at 80% if my reading is right, local extinctions,etc.But they seem to be doing around here,so much credit though to the landowner and keeper at this little spot. They are utterly integral to these guys doing well i'm convinced of that.
Here's another as with the shot above not a crop point blank range a few meters taken with the 300f2.8 and 2x extiii canon 1Div just love the light in those ears,bless

_70F8975 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

thanks again

Stu

I fink I say think ,that this just might be mum to the above kidlet. she was with him just before this .i'vw got up on them both but couldn't get closer lie of the land made me stop. but I watched this one with him for around 20 mins before she chased kidlet off and then came bounding down the track to me. Sadly sun had set during those 20 so light was starting to go, when she got to me just as I pressed the shutter she disappeared into a tractor rut,so those images weren't great,she spooked at the shutter cut back across me and just stopped long enough for me to find her get the below and off she went again. No crop shes very close,ideally portrait would have been cool ,but frankly I'm just to slow. It's amazing how fast this wildlife lark happens after eons of waiting,hopefully with time i'll get quicker

Quite cool with her half up half down almost echoing the leveret above. The camo did it's job just enough for her to have to stop and second glance the weird clicky thing.

So much fun these hares,need to show more and get back at them. It's wonderful getting these chances,just an incredible experience . I s'pose the most exciting for someone like me is getting this window into their lives,although obviously fleeting ,seeing all this is such a god damn joy

_70F8518 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Thanks for all these likey thangs guys

stu

Ya know I'm completely bewildered by these guys legs,especially the back ones. It's amazing how they walk or run on toes and then almost go into Kangeroo mode when the whole back foot is down,i'll show more on this. As I say those legs fascinate me. What has really got me is just how much the position of the back changes dependent on whether the toes or whole foot is being utilized to move on

Here's a start ,taken part way through a grooming session,tis a big old leg when stretched right out

_70F7848 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

more soon

stu

I had planned to follow the above with images already taken,but We got out yesterday and added to the melting pot. Maybe it's come over that I am slightly besotted with a very tiny thing, I call Taz. Each time I see him I'm thrilled I don't see the earlier pictured in the wheat anymore,they are just so vunerable. anyway he was on cool form yesterday not quite taking the mick ,so much as last time. got so spend a good while cursing veggies while he was just yards away and managed to squeak a few frames,which are below.,with a clear view it would have been magical ( and card filling),but no complaints it was damn cool. This little guy is just that bit less wary than the ones I've been lucky enough to see previously,well after bounding down the track behind me the other day ,he must have a screw loose. But if he's chilled with me I'll see more of what a little tiny hare gets up too and hopefully learn a bit plus the images naturally.Got more of him later on too ,but for now here's a cool shot of just how small he is dock leaf for scale. Plus munching shot ,profile and one of him being silly all taken in fairly quick succession.

First uncropped rest from 2.3 to4.5 width kept to full frame processed dpp4 usual gear 600mm fairly grey and dark when pics taken although it did brighten later

_70F9237 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F9228 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F9230 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F9226 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

seeya
stu

I've not been watching this thread but have just done a huge catch up. Excellent photos and I love that you tell the story behind them too. I used to flush hares fairly often in the fields outside the village but haven't seen one for a while. I'm hoping that may be because until recently I wasn't walking those fields regularly. The farmer's just ploughed so I'll keep watching till whatever he's sown this year gets too high. No chance of photos though - the field is so open a worm couldn't hide.

I've not been watching this thread but have just done a huge catch up. Excellent photos and I love that you tell the story behind them too. I used to flush hares fairly often in the fields outside the village but haven't seen one for a while. I'm hoping that may be because until recently I wasn't walking those fields regularly. The farmer's just ploughed so I'll keep watching till whatever he's sown this year gets too high. No chance of photos though - the field is so open a worm couldn't hide.
Hey Janny.:)

Jan, it twigged last night that this thread would appear as one pic to anyone whom hadn't opened it or already had a peep,so i added the updates bit to the title. We have been going here to this spot for years. It's funny actually,when I first dreamed of a camera and beastie pics I thought of coming here and taking a pic of a hare..it was a real big deal to me that one day i'd get that one pic. When we started to chase the dream of catching boxing, this year, I realised I'm going to grab a few pics here. I sort wanted them in one place,just so I could keep tabs really and not clog up the place with hare pics .Can't believe we have permission too after so long Jan, i'm so chuffed

Thanks for the kind words Jan i'm making some howlers,but jeepers haven't we amassed some images. Masses of behaviours Jan,I simply can't keep up with posting,but when a chance comes with wildlife i've learnt to sit on it,everything seems so transient one never ones if that chance will come again. So being there is my obsession at the mo. I feel we all are trying to do this at our various levels Jan,all trying to learn and all love nature,I like hearing a bit of back story in other folks' pics. We learn stuff from backstories Janny,not just about the animal but about probs the tog had making the image etc Plus of course I waffle too much:D.

Janny where are you,not the house number but just roughly,I feel you are Devon way, I grew up down there,you mentioned dart moor, somewhere,I adore the place.

I didn't see many hares as a kid Jan only rarely,down there. I know what you mean about the big fields, Jan it is doable,one can get to them right out in the middle of a field with no cover,but by god it's hard physically and i'm sure lady luck plays her part it's basically crawl out so far and hope they come.probably to investigate the shutter. I have half a hunch they can't have seen one upright,so the lump of clicking camo can't be associated with man. But it is damn hard mate,Better is to watch them janny ,they have runs they are leaving and coming fields via habitual exits, often gate ways. If the farmer will let you, staking out one of those spots might give a chance it's finding them Janny ,but a bit of time might just get some great rewards.

Janny ,it's been utterly wonderful, I adore them anyway but the behaviours what they do when completely relaxed has been so cool not only to see ,but try to capture.We see something new almost every visit and they have had us both in stitches many times

I mean, who knew they iron their ears flat with their feet Jan:D (please excuse the plano crop he was too fast for me,focal points completely wrong place as he dropped from almost standing to do ears,but I had to press the shutter on that one first frame later)

_70F9528 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Thanks for popping by and the kind words mate,I just find them magical Jan can't get enough of them at the mo..:)

Cheers

Stu

Got to spend a bit more time with my kidlets ha I say kidlets well Taz now has a new younger friend,got to see a couple of kids playing yesterday veggies clobbered images,but ya never know I might just get lucky. These are possibly the first images here of me not being behind walls,although there are way too many rocks and stones in the cotswold fields I crawl about in with these hares. The old bones were in bits yesterday but I wouldn't have it anyother way...... ahh man, what a joy to be actually with them where I want to be on the deck right down low in close without bits or wire walls dead nettle stems etc in the way. I came home buzzing last night it was just awesome. I suppose that bit: the grubbing around in the mud stalking and reading the hare is the bit I feel comfortable with.The image making is all new and being learned.... a digital head ache I struggle with. T'was lovel;y to get the other guy out at this location with my little mate and some big guys later it has to be said.

Here's a few images of Taz all taken close together just to get some stuff out really,I am simply not able to keep up with what i'm pulling in at the mo image wise,which is such a cool problem to have,one which I never ever thought I'd have with a leveret. Had to pinch myself a few times of late. Crit is welcome guys I just needed somewhere to pop all this stuff as and when I get chance.I know I know more leveret piccies,but hey how many chances do we get in life to crawl about with a baby hare just yards away,who is frankly hilarious at times;).

_70F9900 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F9905 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F9915 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F9907 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F9908 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

stu

Oh beautiful................ That first image is just so cute. Your obvious dedication is really paying off. I reckon you must have a lot in common with Den and his birds.
It's been a bewildering experience Janny. To spend time with this little one, yards away, him grooming, stretching, being plain silly has been such a joy,can't find the words Jan. they are a bit older then I thought (,i've been reading),but soooo small. I'm just hoping that me and him continue a while now. I have so much now it's almost hard to deal with,but trying to make hay....

Den is a star,bless him, his knowledge and image making profound ,he's so gifted and grafts,he hasn't achieved what he has without working real hard I admire him SOOOOO much but he's in a differnt league to me. Lovely kind sentiment though Jan very flattering. It's great Janny i'm learning making mistakes,but starting to get some of what I dreamed of and frankly more than I ever could hope for of late.

Little baby hares Janny sometimes so close I can't focus ,can't beleieve it !!

Oh on the photography side,these last lot were taken with the 1.4ext. Two fold reasons one I felt I might get closer once I could access them. But also the focusing is a bit faster with the 1.4 ext and maybe more accurate. They are so highly strung movement can be fast and erratic I felt it might help.

cheers Jan, a sweatheart huh:)

Stu

Your building a great portfolio here. Just shows what can be done if you put the time and effort into one species.

Regen

Your building a great portfolio here. Just shows what can be done if you put the time and effort into one species.

Regen

Regen,thank you,incredilbly kind. I've spent time before chasing hares,these recent weeks have been incredible,what i'm showing is just scratching the surface. Two things really I know how damn lucky I am and cherish that,and a fair dollop of disbelief. The biggest fact that is so cool for me is i'm getting a glimpse in to their lives,what they do what they eat (a bit of an eye opener),when they are utterly chilled. It's very different from my previous chances,where i'd maybe get a shot or two,hard won, of a hare sat in a field. It's also been bloody good for me as a learner tog,i'm getting to make mistakes,take them home,try and work out what I did wrong and then take that back into the field because quite oft there is a similar senario,where I can try to apply what i've learnt.

Thanks for the words mate, so much joy,but damn those stoney fields are hard on an old guys bones :D

cheers

Stu

A little update because frankly I simply can't keep up.

I guess i'm a bit soft,ya know one of those guys that believes it's completely normal to talk to animals,I've sort of had this little dream for a while now that I could somehow get to know a baby hare well enough that it wouldn't really be too bothered about my presence,and that might give me a glimpse into their world without the need for hides etc. Obviously i've been featuring one little guy that i'm trying to build that trust with. I sort of feel it couldn't really get any better now with him.

Yup Taz again. He watched me enter the field walk to around 50yrds away drop close in, down very low,but always I made myself just visible. His position never changed during the stalk,at maybe ten yards I was close enough and stayed pretty much put,slight moves here and there to frame but nowt much. Little guy stretched himself out got comfy and damn me went to sleep,I was there with him for maybe an hour. such a lovely thing. My darling stayed put away a bit,during this time I had apparently two other leverets and an adult sunter up behind me,each I spooked without knowing,but got regaled with stories of the adult munching many dandelion flower heads at a time,. Taz woke and gave me a great session,then shot of for some very low grass he obviously had a fancy for,ha and mugged a rabbit on route sadly too many vgeeis for images but fun too watch. From there it got silly with leverets all ways up the bank. But just quick for now here's Taz as he first appeared,then stretching out dozing and waking up with a yawn just some fun stuff really that for me is beyond bliss. He's happy enough now to go to sleep with me right in on him,that's a rare and very special thing for me. He's a completely wild baby hare,something two weeks ago to get a shot of was wonderful ok he is slightly nuts,leverets and meant to follow togs behind their backs,but what a rush this is turning in to.

Haha Im blummin stoked

Keeping an eye on me

_70F0310 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

nodding off

_70F0334 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

where is that great big back leg meant to go anyway......waking

_70F0338 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

and finally a little yawn and the start of much more......

_70F0351 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

seeya

stu

Nothing wrong with talking to animals - it's when you hear them talking back that you need to worry. Nice shots BTW.

Nothing wrong with talking to animals - it's when you hear them talking back that you need to worry. Nice shots BTW.

He he thank you Richard,hmm I think they are talking back mate,it's just I can't hear them,tis all (maybe we should keep that between us huh:D)

Richard serious head on for a second, i'm being incredibly lucky,in close over and over,so I am seeing a lot of behaviours much very new to me. There is alot going on with their mouths,I see it when two are together beyond all the yawning etc. i've read females call the leverets to be fed,but have no proof this happens. i'm deaf as a post Rich so probably wouldn't hear anything anyway,but long have I pondered how loud would a hare vocal need to be to comunicate with another baring in mind their incredible hearing. I think we think of hares as fairly silent animals I do wonder though if they really are as silent as we think. None of this is based on other than a guy watching there is no substance or fact in it, no reading,just musing.

Cheers for the reply little mate above was on cracking form yesterday,I actually took the EXT off for a while,but he seemed a bit jumpy,mind we saw a fox there recently. So sadly I popped it back on for the others,stumbled into him again and was too blummin close hey ho brilliant fun

stu

I haven't heard about hares calling to their young, to the best of my knowledge they leave the young in the seat/form and go to them. I have heard a hare scream when it ran up a river bank and slipped back - as though in frustration to put in human terms. Of course they may make sounds out of our hearing range as rats etc do. I have a photo of a baby hare in a form which I could post here if you like - it's just a record shot.

I haven't heard about hares calling to their young, to the best of my knowledge they leave the young in the seat/form and go to them. I have heard a hare scream when it ran up a river bank and slipped back - as though in frustration to put in human terms. Of course they may make sounds out of our hearing range as rats etc do. I have a photo of a baby hare in a form which I could post here if you like - it's just a record shot.

It's after they left the "nest" Rich when mum pops the different kids out in different places,i'm guessing as a means of increasing odds of survival. Obviously a fox(any predator) finding the nest .(i'm making a deliberate distinction betwixt that early place and their more obvious forms) means the whole littler would be lost.I think they stay in that nest together for a coup[e of weeks then she moves them to separate locations. those kids in the nest ooze baby mate scrumpled ears, body and head shape very much newborn.

It's then, when spread about that I have read she will call them to nurse,be fed basically.Again, reading Rich not seen but usually evenings some say both early morn and evening is feeding time others feed is just once a day. It's incredibly difficult to decipher what is accurate mate. Here I'm saying what I am physically seeing and musing. i'm told they scream like a child when caught. In the old days, I believe this was part of their mystique,why folks almost revered them . Again reading reports of them making a soft mewing noise,but i know damn well all this will ever be heard by my ears bar the screams maybe. what I would say though I think there is substance to her calling them to be fed,I know where Taz goes how far he can travel,he haunts a spot sure,but mum would need a mechanism to find him,the alternative logically is scent but I wonder?????

Rich,i'm not precious I love the subject ,find them enchanting ,that might be obvious by now :) So on every level I'd be grateful for you including, even a grab shot, of a tiny thing here. I can't show that mate, I believe I'm catching kids from the two to three week mark upwards. But I think if anyone is watching this,then they would get a handle on those very very early days and how the kids grow to what they are viewing here

I found a lady on the web hand rearing hares(bless her an amazing lady it seems, incredibly dedicated),she had a time line of images illustrating age. which is why half way through here I tried to ammend what I thought I had seen regarding Taz's age. as he was much older than I originally thought. He may well of been using those legs for almost the first time when I first clocked him taring about mugging adults,but he certainly was much older than my original guess work

Pop it up buddy with my thanks:cool:

cheers Rich

Richard ,thank you very very much, ha they still have big feet huh,just gorgeous and it really shows that difference between the kids I've shown and a real baby. Rich, I wonder if this one had already been moved,the pictures I've seen with a little kits in were all grass lined, nest form seat set whatever......just musing out loud really mate:).

Buddy many thanks, it really is a great addition for anyone stopping by and a sight i'd absolutely adore to see one day

i'm trying to sort out the morass of images taken and also cursing myself that on the last shoot I didn't listen to my gut and keep the ext's off,was so close to Taz, 300mm would have been ideal,. I just bottled thinking he was a bit jumpy and I wouldn't get in like that,mainly due to that fox .

One day i'll learn to trust my blummin guts!!!!

more to come

Stu

Oh,a bit of a grab shot I've been meaning to share taken at my first meeting of a tiny guy and why I call him Taz. somewhat poignant to me as well. This images smacks of a time before we sprayed everything before hares had declined nationally by 80% or what ever it is. To me it's an image we all should be seeing but frankly hardly any ever will. But man the joy of watching this little guy learn what his legs do and in a wildflower meadow too.. A complete nightmare to track as he'd completely disappear in to the longer clumps of grass or flowers and really way out of range,but hey ya gotta take the pic when is another chance like that going to happen. He's just mugged a couple of adults and is now belting back to where I normally tend to see him. It's really wicked having this first one with what has followed more than I could ever hope or dream of really,later on i caught him closer but this was that first time with him tazzing:rolleyes: about all over the shop cropped for comp due to being shot on center AFpoint:

_70F8338 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

seeya cheers for looking

stu

QUOTE="Stuart Philpott, post: 7824779, member: 79286"]Richard ,thank you very very much, ha they still have big feet huh,just gorgeous and it really shows that difference between the kids I've shown and a real baby. Rich, I wonder if this one had already been moved,the pictures I've seen with a little kits in were all grass lined, nest form seat set whatever......just musing out loud really mate:).
Stu[/QUOTE]
That was in the winter time in the middle of a field of winter wheat, no cover anywhere near, and the mother's behaviour may have been abnormal and/or she may have abandoned her young. It's high ground and brown hares are getting on towards the limit of their range there. Itakes very little to cause local drops in a population which take a long time to recover naturally.

These are mainly up in the wolds Rich infact all pics in this thread are from that area,but although it is fairly high and a couple of coats colder than here , we have seen some very early leverets that must have been born early in the year.I think beyond obvious modern farming issues predation by foxes is a major problem again reading points to the potential for a complete failure of a whole generation of leverets via predation.

In part I feel that is why there is this seemingly healthy robust population where we go. It's a shoot but the guys leave the hares be as they love them. Consequently the hares are benefiting not only from the keeper tilting the balance in their favour but also the habitat management a good shoot always impliments. The place is a breath of fresh air frankly Richard wild songbirds being fed through the winter,little rough headlands of wildflowers. I feel the guys that are custodians of this places are very instrumental in what I am seeing and being so damn fortunate to photograph.

As before many thanks

stu

Back