Critique Hares (with updates)

Most farmers I've met think it's the change to silage from haymaking that has caused the major reduction in numbers. It's often said that hares are threatened as a species but they are still very common in many areas. I believe the SW England has seen the biggest reduction. However I know of places where hares are shot by the hundreds in hare drives in Spring with no apparent effect from year to year. Regarding shoots, I know of one where the guns are told they can shoot as many hares as they like provided they carry them back themselves which results in none being shot.
Besides foxes, badgers predate leverets and wild boar are known to predate leverets on the Continent so presumably also here where they occur. Buzzards too.

Richard,cheers for sharing all this knowledge,I have much to learn about them ,frankly seeing them as we are it's amazing that some do make it, It does look really promising though at this time. I think we counted six the other day ,there must be something special about this little spot as the numbers of kids being left here are much denser than anywhere else i've yet come across including the surrounding area..As always rich i'm pondering out loud what I'm seeing.

It's a tricky place this photography wise,many adult images shot on a bank leading to it being tricky to get clean bkgs. Many of the images of the leverets are set against a close back drop of rape:they tend to stay close when really chilled,I suppose it's that security of being able to disappear quickly into the morass of stems.I've been dreaming a while of catching some on the crest of the bank and moving towards me sort of a classic running straight at ya shot,but with a nice clean bkg .

We had already got in to a couple Taz being one, and were sat waiting when we spotted the roe doe i've posted recently. which led to me popping the ext back on. As little was happening we went back to the buggy grabbed a cuppa and sauntered back up the bank,to be met by two kids having a bit of a game of chase,bless 'em. One I recognise we have called him Blaze,I suspect a sibling to taz incredibly similar in markings a nuance of a blaze down his nose and very pale in the face in the right light. We got down and got incredibly lucky. first the one came bounding down to us,after spotting eventually stoppinga few yards away having a good stare then deciding to head for cover. the second was Blaze,cool little chap this guy seems very tolerant of me and the clicking. He came down almost the exact same line. but he didn't really want to stop,certainly came within the min focusing distance of a couple or so meters. Had a good stare and then started to munch some grass right in front of us. Me being prone might have been something he had seen before but my lass sat right behind me made this a real special encounter for me.

Apparently he was around a meter away at some stage. My focus was tying to get images naturally ,but it was brill to actually have my other half right with me to share this magical moment. So here's a few snaps of them approaching us

. Jees, I have some images now of these incredibly animals,I just seem charmed of late with hares, totally weird, I'm not normally blessed with luck. Went for an early saunter here yesterday after deer,got a cracking chance with an adult whom came right at me and gave me a couple or three more to add to the mayhem a complete fluke ,ok I did work it a little bit,but real genuine luck ,no more than that.

Here's the first that little nick in his ear has been noted

_70F1298 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F1301 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F1304 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

and "Blaze" whom you'll no doubt see more of

_70F1310 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F1313 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F1315 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

All bar the last two being cropped from 2:3 to 4:5 width kept to full frame just bit off top and bottom dependent on image,last two full frame
1/1000 f/7.1 iso2500 Canon 1Div 300f2.8is extiii1.4 (which I was meant to remove after the deer but forgot,DOH, hey ho am aware need sensor clean can't move on it just yet sadly ,driving me nuts it is!!

stu

Taz very close utterly chilling in fact too close really,but hey he's a bit magnetic:p I know,I know I should have had the bare lens but it's been covered,for now some pics huh. Damn this guy makes me smile some of the faces the head angles just kill me. Tis a problem, fits of giggles from a wildlife tog wannabe and highly strung baby hares shouldn't really go together;) they are highly strung honest.:whistle:

Oh interesting, this set. I'm close too close , dof being a concern off the bat. So I went to f9 and pushed the hell ,well for me, out of the iso,this is 5000 SS ended at 640 so had a second try at f7.1 1250 basically musing if his somewhat erratic movements would be covered by the slower Ss, as he started to move more. It's inexperience really it's rare to shoot beasties this close that are wild. the twitchy nose whiskers are another thing that make me want to push shutter,mind I tend to anyway. So cool getting these "similar" chances over and over,beyond me joy of all this. It's become a wonderful learning tool. First two at f9,always grateful for thoughts or advice on such things as with the hares themselves and Richard's help above always more to learn about taking a pic,crit very welcome:)

Taz

_70F0981 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F0989 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F0996 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F0998 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F1000 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F1004 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F1007 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F1008 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

seeya

stu

An adult for a change

A quick set from yesterday,this is at home the early morn ramble I spoke of,pretty cool watching abig ol' hare come towards you across a fairly big field,the nerves start to jangle a bit in my case. They have just done something to the field presumably sowed )grass??)it like last year,but i'm a bit unsure. This may well be destined to be woodland shortly,so it's not really being farmed as such in the normal ways. But it's certainly looking like it's going to open up a few possibilities,I think I glimpsed a leveret too,we'll see.

_70F1390 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F1391 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F1393 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F1404 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F1416 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Same gear only got a couple of lenses and a camera:(:D. 420mm as framed ie uncropped 1/1250 f/8 iso 1250

cheers

stu

Sadly I didn't do great here tis a pain because I really love his face, ahh man, this guy makes me smile. Underexposed,. If I remember it was a bright sunny day and I got completely caught by a cloud hey ho it was only a few frames ,But they are always the ones ya like not necessariy perfect ,but the one one is drawn too. Loadsa light:rolleyes: kicking meself a bit, It's cropped again down from 2:3 to 4:5 width kept,I don't feel it's good enough to go further really,but man I love that face:rolleyes: 420mm 1/3200 f6.3 iso 640

_70F9777 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

Funny as...... my head hurts, an all I can see is fluffy ears stuck at silly angles on small fluffy faces

wonderful creatures

stu

Ha ha so funny I now think Taz is a girl,explains alot really:rolleyes: A close portrait from yesterday as framed deep shade straight into the sun well underneath it :really weird the minute I put my head slightly up so the sun caught my face I simply couldn't see the little tike even though she was 5yards away would have liked more dof and SS but hey ho 1/800 f8 iso 5000 420mm

_70F1597 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

stu

Last edited:
Lovely images Stu! I am jealous that you have them near you. I have not seen them near us for a few years now. Great to see the different facets of them, TFS

Lovely images Stu! I am jealous that you have them near you. I have not seen them near us for a few years now. Great to see the different facets of them, TFS
John,first up all the luck with what ever you decide camera wise,I meant to reply earlier but ran off chasing hares as ya do ,been amazing again. But your thread is really informative and enjoyable I wanted to wack a thanks out mate!!

We are just about to see if we got anything to add,it's so damn exciting coming home. John i'm still scratching the surface of what has been amassed in these last weeks, who knew they roll on their backs for a scratch( can I nail that shot though lmao always something in the way). It's almost funny that I just wanted some grooming shots and boxing,the boxing not nailed yet, saw again today,but grooming is bagged I think several times. both big hares and small. I've been am being bewilderingly lucky John and I SO know and appreciate that fact

Ya know my biggest wish is that I could share these with others,but I simply dare not, I so wish other folks that care and like making pics could be besides me,again that wish spreads that we all could get chances like this,but as you say so many seem to have gone from certain spots around the country as with your self,tis heart wrenching mate. Mind even with them on my doorstep I've not seen nowt like this and by god I've tried for this before now,I guess each year one learns just a little more

Ha there is only one negative OMG my elbows and knees are wrecked:D and I thought our clay got hard:rolleyes:

Cheers buddy take care

stu

What a wonderful story this thread tells and the pics are lovely. A lot has been said here Stu and I can't really add much more but I wanted to recognise a wonderful set. (y)

What a wonderful story this thread tells and the pics are lovely. A lot has been said here Stu and I can't really add much more but I wanted to recognise a wonderful set. (y)

Ahh thanks Dale very kind,I sort of hoped it would become a story,but not in my wildest dreams did I imagine anything like what has happened. I got a couple of sets of leverets last year and had one on me doorstep too ,nowt prepared me for this,I was so thrilled with those pics even though they weren't the best. Plus me being me I felt I'd just litter the section with hare images and it wouldn't be fair to all the other wonderful folks here,so made this slightly off the wall choice of bashing it all together in one place,ha ha still can't keep up and have so much to share .

I owe these guys Dale,by god I'm learning about making images due to them and the nature of this.... repeat chances in similar situations. As a wannabe wildlife tog beyond the pure joy of baby hares and that learning curve, the photographic side of me is being pushed . It's great Dale, although not everyone could be so lucky to get a chance at hares, any form of repeat action..... going to the same place same species of wildlife as target over and over and over is something I'd now recommend to the next guy trying to learn. Dale at first ya just want a pic,then ya want a sharp pic,then ya ponder what pics could be possible,so try and bag them. All the time the nature of this means one is honing that skillset for that type of image. But then you start to hit a wall,what can I do now I've got one of those one of these blade bla. It's that next bit Dale that I'm plodding towards and can already see how it's forcing me to think outside of the box. It really is forcing me to start to look for something different,whether i'll achieve that isn't the bit I'm trying to convey really mate it's the mindset this sort of experience gives and how useful that is to me learning and has to be for others too. This type of experience really pushes one as a photographer Dale it's only now really dawning on me how much it pushes one to try and be more creative at the same time giving chances to hone techs and the like without any form of pressure to "get the shot" as it were because it's already bagged. I didn't really see this side of it Dale,should have done it is so obvious,but it's really starting to hit home now , hence me labouring the point

Cheers again for the words,

stu

Wonderful words Stu. I got a few of a hare last month but never put them here. Can't live with these tbh anyhoo. (y)

John,first up all the luck with what ever you decide camera wise,I meant to reply earlier but ran off chasing hares as ya do ,been amazing again. But your thread is really informative and enjoyable I wanted to wack a thanks out mate!!

We are just about to see if we got anything to add,it's so damn exciting coming home. John i'm still scratching the surface of what has been amassed in these last weeks, who knew they roll on their backs for a scratch( can I nail that shot though lmao always something in the way). It's almost funny that I just wanted some grooming shots and boxing,the boxing not nailed yet, saw again today,but grooming is bagged I think several times. both big hares and small. I've been am being bewilderingly lucky John and I SO know and appreciate that fact

Ya know my biggest wish is that I could share these with others,but I simply dare not, I so wish other folks that care and like making pics could be besides me,again that wish spreads that we all could get chances like this,but as you say so many seem to have gone from certain spots around the country as with your self,tis heart wrenching mate. Mind even with them on my doorstep I've not seen nowt like this and by god I've tried for this before now,I guess each year one learns just a little more

Ha there is only one negative OMG my elbows and knees are wrecked:D and I thought our clay got hard:rolleyes:

Cheers buddy take care

stu

Knee pads is what you need - Best tip I ever received! Look a total tw@t but saves the knees!

Happy to share some time looking for hares!

Cheers
John

Wonderful words Stu. I got a few of a hare last month but never put them here. Can't live with these tbh anyhoo. (y)

Cheers again Dale too kind mate. Proximity to them means much I feel mate, regarding how the image pans out.I'm learning mate but seeing my gear come alive when I'm close plus I'm being seriously blessed here and getting that close it at times is silly inside min focus distance which is 2.5M if memory serves silly. But this isn't usual. and I so know that

Dale got one to make ya smile and another taken moments earlier, these were late last night when I was actively trying to find something a little different,re the the ramble mentioned above. . In many ways they aren't so different as hare images go ,but they are for this place where so often my bkg is the rape the leverets are hanging close to i'm sure as an escape route.

It was quite strange because once this leveret was away from the normal spot where we normally take pics I reverted back to stealth mode subconciously as I approached. This is "Blaze" I believe Taz's sibling they are two peas mate so similar. This one is actually incredibly chilled with me, almost moreso than Taz. I just didn't move fast enough to get the rascal in the rut coming at me which is what I really wanted but I feel with hindsight I had more leaway. Trouble is they are wild hare kids and as much as I want them to be my new best mates:rolleyes: they are still super highly strung and one false move is game over. It's a real knife edge at times getting the craft right. I find these two pics interesting from an image makers point of view because they are both shot moments apart same subject, It#s just one in deep shade, one in gorgeous evening sunlight around 8pm.

Nabbing him in the flower meadow was part of the quest I guess and my POV is higher there than the shaded shot. Sunlit is off my knee..... shaded, down low lying down. It's a real eyeopener at times how much that differnce light/shade and pov make and how those chances can change in moments. It's really why I've shared them side be side to illustrate that,ha ha also to bang it into my head as well. Plus lets face it who is't going to smile at having a baby hare sticking a tongue out at ya,I love that everytime I see it.:D I'm meant to be working on grooming or stretching really,but your post made me think these might follow a bit better they sort of fit what I was musing earlier

Ta muchly mate you'll get them time effort and much luck is needed , but share 'em Dale i'll get something from them i'm sure of that!! It is interesting to me to see others, from around blightly also how the tog muses the situation it's inspiring Dale

Blaze:
slight crop for comp:

_70F1786 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

as framed

_70F1755 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

take care buddy

stu

Knee pads is what you need - Best tip I ever received! Look a total tw@t but saves the knees!

Happy to share some time looking for hares!

Cheers
John

Always look a *** anyway John LMAO:D not really precious about such things, I've been building houses for wok mate, these last couple of years(well they call it that,god forbid),have threatened to ditch the camo and ware me work threads knee pads integral, trust me I've pondered If this goes on much longer I may well be taking your advice buddy the main prob is so many of the actual extrerior pad have a hard outer,that will clunk against this cotswold stone scree.but they might be the only way to protect me and the camo overtrousers I normally ware

Great point to make though John, many thanks(y)

stu

One of the things I've always wanted to try and grab is hares grooming I dunno there is something special about a good ol' wash and brush up,it's quite funny that I've seen more than one roll after a good going over, almost like they are thinking " I'm too clean now". they are fastidious about cleaning their feet prior to grooming they sort of do this very fast roll and fub with the front feet which is tricky to show the movement being inredibly fast. This is a bit of grooming by Blaze, who was sat just out a bit from the rape .I liked how the light was working on this set lovely and dappled just squeezing through the top of the rape and catching his head. It's not a complete picture of grooming just a start for now but slightly off the norm as he's using his tongue so much. Far more often I see the forelegs used Cropped down to 4:5 width kept 1/2500 f6.3 iso 2500 420mm

_70F1217 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F1220 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F1231 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F1234 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

_70F1238 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

seeya

stu

Wow Cheers lads,that's incredibly kind. thank you Ha we are all different aren't we I actually prefer the other one of those two,I love that fact that some are drawn to one image some to another. I'll also take little credit for the tongue honestly I don't even think I saw it,can't be 100% but my memory is of only one thing...... trying to find a spot where I had the whole head clear of obstruction from the flowers etc.

Ben ,Dale, these guys have very expressive faces,some they pull are really funny,(y) At some stage i'll try to show this,if nowt else just because again it just might make someone smile;). That mouth moves alot i've oft wondered if there is sound that I simply can't hear attached to these facial movements. Your comments also make me think how something just a little different from the norm catches the eye,just that split second tongue adds so much. Of late I've been staring at loads of hare images online, mainly for inspiration,plus trying to learn from others aswell. I wanted to try and get a mental picture of the widest variety of potential shots to take into the field,cor there are some fabulous images out there..some of the backlit sunset shots are completely stunning .

Ben I'm learning all this,a couple of years of slow progress in, it's worth you trying to fixate on a subject for a while buddy. I know you are fairly new to this too,I just can't put into words how helpful this experience has been for me trying to be better at this. Take the nature boy out of this who wants to run around screaming like a girl cause he's just spent some time with a baby hare:rolleyes:,lmao, and just focusing on image making,damn hasn't this taught me alot. I feel the pic you like is a direct product of that over and over repeated visits as I was actively trying to find an image I hadn't already taken at this spot and simply got lucky.

cheers both thank you

stu

Guys can anyone help me with why some images aren't showing for me,are they for everyone else?? Nowt has been deleted my end was about to post some more so was just checking where I am with them here . I can't see all that many bar the first couple of sets on this page the first being complete the second missing some????

Have I exceeded a limit for a thread? Any ideas gratefully received

many thanks

Stu

Hmm,will post an see what happens,

Taz in a tractor rut,probably from the best single and most grueling togging experience so far,really incredible one I'll long cherish:) .I have blaze right besides me too close often....the bugger photo bombed so many shots,best was for a kiss:whistle: but I got caught framing one blummin hare in portrait hey ho:D.

Anyway for now taz in a rut me feet in the high center bit ,plus one knee. The other knee in rut, left elbow in rut, right propped on other bank......breaking me neck trying to get around those grasses:rolleyes:.And all the time wondering when blaze will stuff every thing up AGAIN !!!

If folks knew people got images of wildlife like this,we'd be locked up!! But It was very funny I keep coming back to this one it's the way the rut runs away I think,I dunno. Dark grey clouds on blue sky the light was up and down both kids springing around like fools and a whole hour with 'em
Canon 1 div 300mm f2.8is extiii
1/1600
f9
iso5000 cropped again from 2;3 to 4;5

_70F1995 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

stu

Just been catching up on this thread. Stu, your images of Taz and Blaze are just enthralling. They show them not just as the beautiful creatures they are but they are so relaxed in your presence they are showing they are real little characters. It's clear you are putting an immense amount of hard work into these animals but that you also respect them. Thank you for letting us into their lives.

Janny thanks for the reply!! Can I ask can you see all the images,maybe it's just me that can't?

I'm a bit besotted Jan, so posting too many kid pics:rolleyes:, so little time of late. But i'm learning lots about the adults too and amassing a fair stock pile there of what they do.

I guess I respect them,I think of it more in terms of adoration really and all that entails.sounds a bit soft but hey what can I say. I have pondered long though on if a well meaning guy like me doing this has any potential to adversely affect them.The only real tangibles that I can come up with is making them more vunerable to predation by man. Mum coming to feed could be another,but they are yards from 50 acres of rape most of the time and I never follow them there. Now ,at this stage that concern is pretty much mute as their growth has been amazing but again it has been mused. I'd love to get some images of a mum nrursing Janny ,but if I do I dare say it'll be like most of all this ,on their terms. They make the choices they know i'm there often the adults do aswell.

I'm working an angle with the little ones i've tried to catch them before they learn fear of us and play on that. Baby anything can be a bit too trusting . That said I rarely present myself to them as a bolt upright standing person,i'm a small clicky thing presenting the smallest possible profile to them,same as an adult . Janny I feel hares have learnt to fear us because we are predators and the first association is our shape wind etc a given . But again my gut feeling is that they are curious souls and that there might be a way in to their lives,by using base FC by not appearing as a human shape three white blobs covered etc etc. Simply by not being a threat

Janny this togging lark has made me ponder often my actions,sometimes it's difficult to know the implications to the animal or bird,sometimes really obvious,sometimes not so much.I know there was no implication/ inuendo in your post mate,:)but I do think it's something worth talking about openly and honestly. It's very important to me that my personal actions don't harm the birds or beasties I love so much while trying to get some images.

The adults will never be the same I suppose as two kids that have grown up seeing me around,but we get them come close. You can almost see them thinking what's that,have a snack stare a bit come a yard closer what the hell is that???

such a joy Janny still can't really get my head around the fact that all this is real

We were looking at some earlier pics last night,They were so tiny OMG soooo tiny we were both struck by their growth

We all need a bit of luck now and again mate,these guys gave us an escape at a hard time for us both,but that's nature isn't it Jan food for the soul

seeya:)

Stu

I've not had a problem seeing any of your images Stu, and very lovely they are. In answer to your reservations - I can't imagine anyone who didn't have your knowledge, patience and respect for their 'quarry' getting the sort of images you do. I feel happier looking at your images than I do watching a certain TV show..............

Waaaay too many to offer any form of critique Stu, but what I can say is you should be very happy with your progression and the resulting images you're showing. Brilliant to see someone taking on advice and pushing themselves to a point where you're producing some very special and memorable images. Your passion for these certainly shines though

Mike

I've not had a problem seeing any of your images Stu, and very lovely they are. In answer to your reservations - I can't imagine anyone who didn't have your knowledge, patience and respect for their 'quarry' getting the sort of images you do. I feel happier looking at your images than I do watching a certain TV show..............

Janny in no way did I feel you did have any reservations none what so ever mate:), I did feel it was worth while pondering out loud though. As before kiddo it's good I feel to be open and honest and talk about such things. I'm pretty comfy with what i'm doing Jan,but there is always more to learn,someone might chime in with something I haven't thought of. that's a good thing I'm open to other folks views Janny don't know it all at all !!

Janny, I've spent a long time learning one part of this ,it goes back to childhood,not with hares but other natives ie what togs call fieldcraft. The image making is a new thang. I came into this wanting a visual record of my exploits,really for me and those around me,it is also a creative realease as my love of art, painting bird and beasties wasn't being fulfilled. I felt that although I couldn't afford the reach of a 500 or 600f4 I maybe could use this,what do we call it gift/skillset of getting close to sort of bypass what I really couldn't afford. I lost my beloved grand parents and they left me a few pennies,which bought this incredible lens,I'm so lucky to use. then grafted like a XXXX to get a camera to pair with it,ha god I graft left at six returned at 8.15 today.. I felt one day it would all come together if I pushed hard enough ,it's sort of beyond lovely that these little hares come soooo close I now really have too much reach at times.

Jan,I think I know the show it's on now right? I've been waiting and yearning'cause I felt I'd learn more they are on my patch ,if I have guessed you right. If that guess is right then I have seen their hares mine not so far away. I love the show Janny I suppose one wants to get wildlife and nature into everyones heart in this country and they try to do that,for me that is a special thing.. i'mnot very judgemental I suppose I try to see the greater good,by the same token am a harsh critic of me,so am duty bound to be open and ponder what I do.

.Janny lets just be very clear for a few seconds,your kindness is lovely mate,you pop up with a post and i'm incredibly grateful always have been always will ;). Your post led me to musing,an aspect of wildlife or bird photography that to me is incredibly important...how our actions can effect the very things we want to make images of. I feel I have dome the homework so I can treat them in the best possible way ,while making those images ,but in no way did I think you were having a "pop" never entered my head,you clearly said the exact opposite to me. I just feel how ever much or little I know there is always more to learn, and it's desperately important we togs think of our subjects' wellfare. If that means someone says to me but ya haven't thought of this stu,i'll listen and consider their opinion,if I deem they have a point i'l go further and amend what I do.

That's all there was Jan me being open,I have nowt to hide. I went further sure talking about why and how these images have come about,trying I guess to help the next guy see this. Because hares are viewed as how did he put it "hare today gone tomorrow" and there is another side to these remarkable mysitcal animals that are forefathers revered almost worshipped. An inate curioustity and a whole set of behaviours little known that bring me and my lady astounding joy,it's nice sharing an image Jan,but really I just want folks to see this for them selves,to see who these guys really are,it's so special mate,words and images are not really enough.

The hardest thing for me in all this is I simply can't share these in the real world. I can't even take the two togs whom are local and help me so much with their incredible knowledge,Pete and Ken are their names. It 's one of those things Jan, I think they understand why i'm being so careful,it's that same thing that purveys all this. the wellfare of the hares. I really hate being selfish it just isn't who I want to be,Togs can go on trips and spend lots of money to see less than I could show them,but folks talk and hares are vunerable it's a risk that I can't take.

Janny thanks mate,please don't worry I understood your first post completely:) you have been, here, and in the past ever so kind to us. I'm glad you are enjoying all this,in my heart though I wan't to show you them,at times i just walk arounf grinning like an idiot,ha a baby hare:D

take care

thank you

stu

Waaaay too many to offer any form of critique Stu, but what I can say is you should be very happy with your progression and the resulting images you're showing. Brilliant to see someone taking on advice and pushing themselves to a point where you're producing some very special and memorable images. Your passion for these certainly shines though

Mike

Ey up Mike,how are ya bro? Kind words Mike,thank you very much indeed.

Ahh mate isn't is the loveliest thing,that there are all these fantastic amazing photographers out there,that would share their time, wisdom, put so much effort into a little guy, a nobody like me. I love that Mike, you are one of those guys cheers for the help bro. If I am improving then that has to be shared with the teachers and credit given to them .I'm hungry Mike,to be better,mediocre don't cut it in anything I do I don't really feel deserving of the words above,but I would say is I adore doing this and getting a chance to be with them properly and learn more in weeks than months has helped my along the road .

It's hard grafting like I do when one's heart is elsewhere ,but the hard physical graft means I can just about stay with two kids in a track and work it, even if I could barely stand afterwards. I'd lay a bet many wouldn't cope with this scree it's hard core. It gives one a real perception of how good a pro is and how physically and mentally strong that guy is

Ha push I do ,although I'm slower than a slow thang with all this digi stuff. give me some ickle aminals and I'm away . I'm not there yet Mike the camera skill set needs much more work I know it !! So cool to get this chance mate when I had a bit of time and I still have so much to evaluate.

Damn really thought you would just crit the lot too,lmao :D

Mike very serious head on, (if your read this reply),top of the page images 4,5and6 numbered down from top of page.....,IQ, sharpness...... are they good enough mate??? I have a question mark on these

In a thread like this I know crit is very unworkable,but I just couldn't post a hare image or two daily for the next how long,it just wouldn't be fair on the members of this section .I'm still desparate for thoughts,I'm sort of struggling frankly to pull the very best out. I feel I'm a bit to emotionally involved really,and that is effecting my judgement

take care

stu

Ey up Mike,how are ya bro? Kind words Mike,thank you very much indeed.

Ahh mate isn't is the loveliest thing,that there are all these fantastic amazing photographers out there,that would share their time, wisdom, put so much effort into a little guy, a nobody like me. I love that Mike, you are one of those guys cheers for the help bro. If I am improving then that has to be shared with the teachers and credit given to them .I'm hungry Mike,to be better,mediocre don't cut it in anything I do I don't really feel deserving of the words above,but I would say is I adore doing this and getting a chance to be with them properly and learn more in weeks than months has helped my along the road .

It's hard grafting like I do when one's heart is elsewhere ,but the hard physical graft means I can just about stay with two kids in a track and work it, even if I could barely stand afterwards. I'd lay a bet many wouldn't cope with this scree it's hard core. It gives one a real perception of how good a pro is and how physically and mentally strong that guy is

Ha push I do ,although I'm slower than a slow thang with all this digi stuff. give me some ickle aminals and I'm away . I'm not there yet Mike the camera skill set needs much more work I know it !! So cool to get this chance mate when I had a bit of time and I still have so much to evaluate.

Damn really thought you would just crit the lot too,lmao :D

Mike very serious head on, (if your read this reply),top of the page images 4,5and6 numbered down from top of page.....,IQ, sharpness...... are they good enough mate??? I have a question mark on these

In a thread like this I know crit is very unworkable,but I just couldn't post a hare image or two daily for the next how long,it just wouldn't be fair on the members of this section .I'm still desparate for thoughts,I'm sort of struggling frankly to pull the very best out. I feel I'm a bit to emotionally involved really,and that is effecting my judgement

take care

stu

How do Stu...

Sorry for the delay, work etc!

I'm not sure which images you're referring to. If its 4,5,6 on the first page, ten they don't quite grab me due to the face being in shadow. Don't get me wrong, they're good shots, and no doubt I'd have clicked the shutter, but they do pale when you view how the thread has progressed.

If its 4,5,6 on page 2, then its a different story. These are spot on in my opinion, you're down at eye level, as tends to just about always work. and the important part - the head - is sharp. Opinions vary on motion blur, but I like the movement in the feet, adds real dynamism to the shots. Id be looking at those settings for future reference.

The full frame lying down portraits are really nice, particularly the one with the raised head, then the golden light ones just after work beautifully as well.

Keep them coming.

Mike

p.s. are you still processing just with dpp4? If so extra kudos for the IQ at the high ISO

How do Stu...

Sorry for the delay, work etc!

I'm not sure which images you're referring to. If its 4,5,6 on the first page, ten they don't quite grab me due to the face being in shadow. Don't get me wrong, they're good shots, and no doubt I'd have clicked the shutter, but they do pale when you view how the thread has progressed.

If its 4,5,6 on page 2, then its a different story. These are spot on in my opinion, you're down at eye level, as tends to just about always work. and the important part - the head - is sharp. Opinions vary on motion blur, but I like the movement in the feet, adds real dynamism to the shots. Id be looking at those settings for future reference.

The full frame lying down portraits are really nice, particularly the one with the raised head, then the golden light ones just after work beautifully as well.

Keep them coming.

Mike

p.s. are you still processing just with dpp4? If so extra kudos for the IQ at the high ISO

Mike I'm always just plain grateful for a reply especially from you mate so no worries on the delay,frankly i'm so busy grafting all hours myself,your timing is great,for me.

Buddy cheers for the words incredibly kind again!! Yes it was page 2,ie this page, and yes we are still stuck with this old girl of a PC and hence yes DPP4.6.10,latest version, being used for all processing. So still global no selective sharpening,I noted something you did recently for someone here Mike just sharpened the head,I am very aware of how much I want the next stage ,hopefully with the new job and the hours being pulled things might change in the not to distant future mate,hopes are high anyway. Ha I'm way too old to be grafting like this but it's the only way i'll get those tools I want so much . The gear i'm using sings when I'm really close Mike,I guess it takes time for someone like me to really get a handle on the tools being used, I think being so damn close has done and is continuing to do wonderful things with regards to IQ. The SS is slow on those three Mike for a kidlet coming towards me techs are 1/1000 f7.1 iso 2500. I would have pushed the iso more now bro to get more SS.I was worried only about the head being sharp mate,the motion blur I'm happy enough with,but there is an insecurity with IQ that made me worry on those down the barrel shots,I want that shot close mate really want it,I have a few versions now I suppose.

Having those few free weeks(timewise) where I'd told my ex boss to go XXXXX himself robbing scum,meant I could really get down and dirty and really try to apply all the stuff I've been taught by you guys. I also think the repeat nature of things helped Mike. I got to a stage where something "new/different" was becoming harder to find. But the chances were so fantastic one had to have a go. The thing is now there was no need for any caution or concern about getting the shot,I had it already of sorts anyway. So mentally I felt completely free to push the hell out of iso etc,Basically experiment in the field bring home study results go back have another go. I'm no where near being a tog yet Mike I have a monster amount to learn am still getting caught with all manner of things ,but I do feel I have made progress. I needed something like this mate a decent chance and lots of time in the field making lots of images. He he had a sortie on sunday mate jees this is hard core,I was a wreck when we got back ......I just seemed to spend hour after hour on the deck stalking hare after hare.I thought I had a couple of hundred frames to sort when we got back. Hmm that number was actually over 600, It's this facet Mike the number of images being banked studied looked at pondered and then go do it again,that I feel has helped me so much. I probably took more pics in one week than the whole winter,I guess one has to pick up something when things are like this.

I'm still completely bewildered mate still pinching myself at the utter joy of it all,that initial game plan that I had: bank some decent RAWs learn it off the back of the camera: PP will come to polish 'em, but learn the basics hard.......is still in place,i'm just slower than a slow thang tis all. But I feel I'm getting a real solid grounding of a base to work up from which was again part of my initial game plan.

It's a lovely thing this Mike, I got to pretend I was a wildlife photographer,for a few weeks and got gifted a chance beyond me wildest dreams to spend time with some hares and their kids. It's made me so hungry I came back bloodied last outing ripped myself to shreds,but all I can think about is when I can go back:D

Mike thank you !! They will keep coming I simply can't keep up tis all,I damn nearly got boxing on sunday, I'm also pretty sure more kids are close to grabbing their first breath,there are some big ol' girls about of late,beguiling huh

stu

Hmm close kids here's an adult they do it too! This one was following a leveret,quite lovely, kidlet first came too blummin close tracking was a nightmare head up and down,note to self could have done better!!! But both stopped after clocking me and both were chilled enough to have a munch while musing the clicking thing sat in the grass.
Any thoughts on post with this one greatly recieved. The light is quite harsh,but it's only 830 or so ,shooting against that lowish harsh sun was tricky . So I'm all ears to thoughts surrounding exposure processing etc 1/3200 f11 iso3200. Just squeezed him in to a couple of frames,only just mind:rolleyes::D

_70F3799 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

cheers all

stu

Bloody Hell Stu,,,i thought i went for it with the Little owl...as Mike way to many to CC so i just look and enjoy ,some excelent images of the Hare ...
I have just had a brown hare shorlisted in a comp ...keep up the good work with these

Bloody Hell Stu,,,i thought i went for it with the Little owl...as Mike way to many to CC so i just look and enjoy ,some excelent images of the Hare ...
I have just had a brown hare shorlisted in a comp ...keep up the good work with these

Den what you do with those owls,is wonderus,It's years or work. this isn't ha maybe years went in,but not the same mate. I know how much you bunged at those owls bro,tis so evident,all rewards deserved. Oh Den show me your hare buddy,i'd deeply love to see, and naturally biggest grats. I'm being urged to enter comps,not sure if i'm that confident.

Den I got a chance when I, by chance, had some time:banana:......it's been bliss, bloody hard core,but utter bliss.

Ahh ya know what I mean.
Den cheers for the words,they make me smile bro;), I really would love to see your hare,and frankly crit on just the last image would help.

I love back lit Den,this was way to late in the morn for lovely soft backlit but it still interests me,and thoughts especially exposure wise might help

cheers

stu

Oh,I forgot something. I have only ever seen hares do this up in the wolds. I suspect the somewhat (monster understatement ) stoney soil might be part of this. Hares roll on their backs,I think it's a back scratching thang,which might explain why I see it often on those stoney soils and not elsewhere. It is very brief and ver erratic,in this shot I deliberately pushed the hell out of the SS,sadly got caught out AGAIN in the wrong orientation,but at least I've got one shot with a clear view to the head. I've seen and made images of the kids doing this many times,but with the action being so close to the ground,it's the devils own trying to get an unobstructed view. Really harsh light ,so my other concern was blowing the hilights man that belly is white!!

So here ya go a hare in bliss mode having a good old scratch. Good stalk this,I suddenly became aware that I'd done two of them,just yards to my right another was feeding,who this guy eventually spotted and went to see

_70F2484 by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

That rear foot is so cool huh

seeya

stu

Oh, soooooo cute. :) I had no idea hares did that. No reason why they shouldn't, but you only ever normally see them right side up.

Nor did I janny(ya good mate?:)),frankly didn't have a clue as you say why not,but yup who knew.;) Jan saw an adult have a right good wash and brush,have pics,but then right at the end he rolled, missed focus on grass. Hilarious must have been too clean..... that was the first time . It's been that story veggies wrecking rollin' images right through I've got Taz behind a blumming tiny bit or rape and some..

It seems almost imposible to get this where a field isn't laid waste.

Jan,as a tog it also shows how knowing your subject can lead to different images,you've got to know the behaviour exists before trying to grab an image,beyond fluke I mean. I botched it Jan wrong orientation......this is split seconds from vertical grooming,too old too slow,ha two ruddy tenths of a second to make the move. But I knew it was on the cards and there fore pulled exposure back damn that tummy is white. It isn't the finished image Jan I want more.But being aware of the posibility got me this one,what ever that means

Too many hours watching Jan damn it's been good focusing on these learnt so much. i know you get it anyway:) but they do make me smile. there's all these things they do we barely see.

'Ere mate dig that lovely soft soil,it's so cool to crawl about on. Despite me moaning like a girl about the scree and my insecurities about modern farming. It is amazing folks grow crops on that ,I mean..... where's the soil????

Sooo is that why I see this in the wolds,but watch hares at home and have never seen this once??

Jan it's friday i'm still alive,now I can go see again:cool:

rock'n'roll

best always mate

stu

Just spent a good while browsing through this thread, Stu, and what s delight it's been.

I'll be honest, I've always dort of viewed Hares as the rather ugly cousin of the rabbit, and although you see them often on The Downs here, I've never really paid them any mind.

Your lovely images here have changed my opinion. :)

Your fondness for these little fellows is quite obvious in your images, and makes them all the better for the viewer.

Keep posting. :)

Den what you do with those owls,is wonderus,It's years or work. this isn't ha maybe years went in,but not the same mate. I know how much you bunged at those owls bro,tis so evident,all rewards deserved. Oh Den show me your hare buddy,i'd deeply love to see, and naturally biggest grats. I'm being urged to enter comps,not sure if i'm that confident.

Den I got a chance when I, by chance, had some time:banana:......it's been bliss, bloody hard core,but utter bliss.

Ahh ya know what I mean.
Den cheers for the words,they make me smile bro;), I really would love to see your hare,and frankly crit on just the last image would help.

I love back lit Den,this was way to late in the morn for lovely soft backlit but it still interests me,and thoughts especially exposure wise might help

cheers

stu
This as been shortlisted

Brown hare (1 of 1)-4 by dennis greenwood, on Flickr

Just spent a good while browsing through this thread, Stu, and what s delight it's been.

I'll be honest, I've always dort of viewed Hares as the rather ugly cousin of the rabbit, and although you see them often on The Downs here, I've never really paid them any mind.

Your lovely images here have changed my opinion. :)

Your fondness for these little fellows is quite obvious in your images, and makes them all the better for the viewer.

Keep posting. :)

Hey Viv,sorry slow in reply thank you so much for the comments and the kind words!!.

They are funny looking guys aren't they, ears too damn big especially in the kids. Plus of course their back legs and whether walking on toes or feet throw all sorts of ungainly shapes into images(if they are on toes then their back legs become way too big) . I constantly see kangeroo in them Viv. Plus their faces change from masculin to feminine in the blink of an eye,which also enthralls me. You are so right Viv and it's lovely for me that this has come out in the words and pic,I utterly adore them.

Viv you have probably read this already here,but this really has been one of the best, most magical, wildlife experiences of my life. I'm naturally drawn to them Viv,was out yesterday trying for some falcons,got little,but on the way back just had to go crawling behind a wall for an adult,damn me that turned into a leveret aswell. What was lovely though was folks saw me.......a car pulled up,they wanted to grab some images of some lavender fields . They got hand signals of shuuuuush and the two fingers simulating ears. They didn't get all of it. they got the be quiet though and I was able to show a local lady a leveret,her face viv." OMG I've never seen one ahh soo cool". We were then treated to a spat of hare madness,as the kidlet went completely nuts. All too far away for images,but that lady went home thrilled to bits,one could see it on her face.

It's quite beautiful how folks react to this big ol' wabbit when it right there and they didn't have a clue

you take care mate,thank you for the words

stu

This as been shortlisted

Brown hare (1 of 1)-4 by dennis greenwood, on Flickr

Thanks Den very kind,cool shot backlit too . I love how the whiskers stand out on backlit shots Den,cool rim light on the ears aswell. Lovely image as always mate. Once again their facial expressions have me glued,there is something going on in that muzzle

take care buddy thanks again for taking time for this

Stu

@Stuart Philpott - I just wanted to let you know that I have really enjoyed reading this thread, and seeing your wonderful photographs... Hares are my favourite animals, I see them so rarely though, and never as close as this :) The love you have for the animals shines through in your pictures and your storytelling, keep doing what you do :) Favourite pic - back scratching on the soil!

@Stuart Philpott - I just wanted to let you know that I have really enjoyed reading this thread, and seeing your wonderful photographs... Hares are my favourite animals, I see them so rarely though, and never as close as this :) The love you have for the animals shines through in your pictures and your storytelling, keep doing what you do :) Favourite pic - back scratching on the soil!

Lovely words Lindsey thank you so much,very very kind !!

Cool aren't they. I wish you could see them more,that's the first thing that sprang into my mind after reading your post. It's pretty obvious you feel like I do about them adore them,so if in anyway I can help please ask. I'm no expert mate,learning as I go,both hares and image making. I don't share where I see Lindsey,everything else is an open book,but i'm incredibly wary about locations,because I could endanger them so easily. .but if there is anything that might help you see or even get a bit closer do ask

Cheers for sharing you fav image too. I'm more than a bit lost on what might be special to me(frankly i'm still struggling to take all this in). It's always interesting to know what others like though.

thanks again Lindsey

Stu

Back