1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. petersmart

petersmart

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    This is Harold, a spider who lives in the top corner of my living room!

Today I finally had the chance to get some pics of him using my 50mm f1.8 and 2 sets of Kenko Auto tubes on my 40D.

Firstly though this is a shot of him on my living room wall taken with my 70-300mm L lens and one set of Kenko tubes:

3634.jpg

Can anyone tell me what the large club like things with the hairs are?

The rest were taken with the 50mm and 2 sets of Kenko tubes:

3676.jpg

3668.jpg

3670.jpg

3673.jpg

The last 3 shots are Harolds hairy legs!

I was quite pleased with the magnification which I guess was a bit more than 3:1 on the sensor ( 50mm lens on a 170mm extension) and will definitely be exploring more with this setup.

With these shots I was only about 1 inch away from Harold and had to be careful not to spook him.

And of course focussing was extremely awkward because of light loss so I'm very pleased with how they came out.

Illumination was by a Jessops 320AFC flashgun which I've had for about 10 years or so.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  2. GardenersHelper

GardenersHelper

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Very good results with both setups. Nice clarity in the first, and loads of magnification with both sets of tubes. Did you use a focusing light or did you simply work with a very dark viewfinder? Did you diffuse the flash? The light looks nice and even.

I believe the hairy things are palps (pedipalps). My spider book says "In adult male spiders, the palps are greatly modified as secondary sexual organs; they are the single most important structures for identifying male spider to species level." (Makes no difference to me - I'm rubbish at identifying things.)

3. petersmart

petersmart

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Thanks for that - this was really a quick and dirty setup to test things out and the flash was just aimed at the wall a little higher than the spider so I got spill over and no focussing light.

I have a milk bottle setup (lol) which could act as a diffuser so will try that out next time.

Must admit am quite pleased with these tests and is quite a saving over the MP5-E although not quite 5:1 magnification.

The camera was mounted on a tripod which was balanced on one leg with one hand steadying the 50mm against the wall.

Don't think I could increase the extension any more because I was already really close but I'll be experimenting more with it.

Trouble is macro is so addictive!:)

GardenersHelper likes this.
  4. GardenersHelper

GardenersHelper

Name:
    Nick
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Well done with that then.

Much stranger things have been used as diffusers. :)

No, but 3:1 is pretty good to be going on with.

Sounds good. Some sort of support makes framing the shots so much easier, especially at the magnification you were working at.

Oh yes. Very much so. :)

5. davholla

davholla

Name:
    David
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
  6. alfbranch

alfbranch

Name:
    Alf
    Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Harold is a fine fellow.

7. reheat module

reheat module

Name:
    Paul
    Edit My Images:
    No
    I like Harold

8. Ploddles

Ploddles

Edit My Images:
    Yes
    Clever spider :exit:

9. MacroMeister

MacroMeister

Name:
    Rob
    Edit My Images:
    No
    Good clear shots, even the very close ones. Regards the light diffusion - placing a diffusion material in front of your flash will not make it softer unless the diffuser is larger than the original flash head. It is the relative size that makes the difference. So you want a diffuser that is at least the same size as your whole subject area. I use a Rogue Flashbender as it is very light and easy to use and fits any flash.http://gb.colorconfidence.com/expoi...hj75kidpk_GheLglebHg5vDIY7Lkwr_KIoaAl6t8P8HAQ