Scotland Harris, Jura or Islay?

Name
Bob
Edit My Images
Yes
Thinking about a 3 day break in May.
Which island would you choose?
Will be with my wife, who is a non photographer.
Thoughts please.

Last edited:
Jura is really remote, with pretty much only 1 road and I'm not sure if there is anything to do there is the weather is bad. Islay is big on distilleries, obviously, and there is wildlife watching if she is into that sort of thing. Harris is worth visiting at any time, and there are things like the tweed museum to visit, plus a couple of old churches and various ruins. Lewis is a couple of hours drive to go to Callanish and other visitor places, but easily done in a day.

Harris and Lewis are a photographers dream. In a previous response a mention was made of Callanis Standing Stones if you decide to visit there make time to have a look at another nearby place “Dun Calloway Broch” IMO its well worth a visit if you’re interested in landscape photography. The link is to an image of it on my website, there are other images of Harris and Lewis on there too.
Have a great time, it would be rude not to mention the beaches as they are good too. A circular drive around the Golden Road is worth a try, plenty of photo opportunities en route. Message me if you would like any more information.

https://www.peterstockton-photography.co.uk/Galleries/Panoramas/i-7pChcq5

Cheers guys
We've decided to give Harris a try.
Booked 3 nights in May.
Can't wait :)

Have a look at booking your next break there but for longer. Harris (and all the other island too) are special places and I think you'll find three days is no where enough.

Have a great time.

Dave

As has been mentioned, the golden road is stunning, and I love the west coast of Lewis up as far as the Butt. Callanish, Dun Carloway, some black houses - Arnol and/or the Black House village - (which were not long ago lived in) Harris is lumpy and Lewis is flat. Worth going on one of the roads from the West to Stornoway, to see the endless bog.

Go to the maddest tennis court in the world too...

Bunabhainneadar Tennis Court
B887, Isle of Harris HS3 3AL
01859 502376
https://goo.gl/maps/UzPhBiMWs382

Last edited:
Guys, Thanks for the replies.
We're off next week. Can't wait. Bought my wife an EM10mk2 and 12-35mm lens so she will be taking photos too.
Means I won't feel so guilty about trailing her all over the place.

Reactions: ST1
Back