Harrogate has a Pyramid

I like this, especially how the eye is naturally drawn to the peak. Nice light.

This is great imagery and rendition…
but the halo…

Nice idea, execution doesn't quite live up to it with the halos on trees and pyramid looking pasted in.

I'm not a big fan of the extreme low key like this, maybe its because I'm getting old and my eyesights not what it was, but its far too dark for me. Composition wise its fine and the subject matter is interesting but my eye is drawn more to the halo around the trees than the pyramid. Sorry John.

Reactions: ST4
I'm viewing via mobile so can't see any of the issues mentioned above.. So excluding those o really like it. I am a fan of the low key stuff like this.

The halos came from moving the mid tones slider in ps if I remember.

The low key is a style I'm liking on my architectural images on occasions like This when the sky is a blank blue and Uninteresting but it comes down to personal taste I guess

Last edited:
The halo's will come from using something like silver efex and adding too much structure to an image pre processed in LR with clarity added. Great care is needed not to over define/structure an image.

Halos seem a real problem with silver efex anyway - I like the appearance it can give, but the halos are terrible.

can't remember off the top of my head the nik settings used, but like i said the midtones adjustment in levels in photoshop was where the halo came from, i personally don't mind it but haven seen the effect look bad

Silver efex is nice when used sparingly but to be honest I stopped using it some time ago as i found ACR or lightroom give better results and without the issues Silver Efex can cause. There really should be no need to use it on a starting image like this anyway, there are nice contrasts and details already in the original.

I like it but I think it could be EXCELLENT with a little more care in processing.

Intrigued to send you the raw files Neil to see what you can produce...
Ill PM you my email John. Prob won't get chance until next week but will def have a go. To be honest though John I don't think you are a million miles off what I would try and produce! I just think if the halo's are controlled and a touch more detail is brought back on the rhs of the pyramid, then it will look more polished IMO.

Thanks for posting the colour version. You can see the halo/edge issues starting in there already before conversion, although this looks much more convincing - I really had wondered if you'd pasted the pyramid in.

Back